Texas Hunting Forum

Low shed, dove/duck dog

Posted By: Stohner

Low shed, dove/duck dog - 10/15/17 04:55 AM

Looking for a family friendly dog low shedding that will be used for ducks and dove primarily. If she could point that would be a plus, any recommendation along with any trust worthy breeders is appreciated!

I trained our family Lab to retrieve ducks and dove in high school but as an adult her shedding does not seem like something I want to deal with....
Posted By: Exbellicus

Re: Low shed, dove/duck dog - 10/15/17 03:26 PM

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6751620/low_shed_gun_dog#Post6751620

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6819639/Boykin_Spaniel#Post6819639
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Low shed, dove/duck dog - 10/15/17 06:16 PM

Pudelpointer all the way

Re: Low shed, dove/duck dog - 10/15/17 09:03 PM

I had read where several people recommended Pudels in other threads. Any rec on a breeder?
Posted By: The Point

Re: Low shed, dove/duck dog - 10/18/17 01:52 AM

Pudelpointer -Cedarwood
The coarser coats shed less than the slicks.

Re: Low shed, dove/duck dog - 10/25/17 03:15 AM

Emailed a few about Pudelpointers. Looks like 1800 is about average.

What do most of yall expect to pay when looking for a hunting dog?
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Low shed, dove/duck dog - 10/25/17 03:41 AM

For a nicely bred lab with health tested parents I’d expect to pay $800 - $1500+ depending on pedigree.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Low shed, dove/duck dog - 10/25/17 01:47 PM

My Pudelpointer is from Cedarwood. $1500 14 months ago for a puppy. They would be a good fit for your stated criteria. They are true versatiles with a lot of capabilities and a lot of go. Griffons, Wirehairs, and Drathars would also probably be a good fit.
Posted By: Charlie Tuna

Re: Low shed, dove/duck dog - 10/26/17 02:30 PM

You might want to look into German Short Haired Pointers. I am raising two at this time and have been very impressed with them as a hunting and family dog. Very little shedding and lots of natural hunting drive. They are high energy and thus need space to run. My 8 month old will run the fields all day looking for dove. They also love the water and plan to use them for this seasons duck hunts.

We purchased ours from Heritage GSP Kennels. http://www.heritagegspkennels.com/

Re: Low shed, dove/duck dog - 10/27/17 02:09 AM

I have looked at GSP's prior. One of my friends raised them growing up. I remember them being rather large dogs compared to a lab even. Would prefer to stay a little smaller. But it looks like your pup is pretty small in the photo, not sure if age or genetics.
Posted By: Charlie Tuna

Re: Low shed, dove/duck dog - 10/27/17 03:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Stohner
I have looked at GSP's prior. One of my friends raised them growing up. I remember them being rather large dogs compared to a lab even. Would prefer to stay a little smaller. But it looks like your pup is pretty small in the photo, not sure if age or genetics.

She is 8 months so she has some more growing. I believe the mother was in the 55-60 pound range.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum