Texas Hunting Forum

GSP vs Squirrel vs rock retaining wall

Posted By: nak

GSP vs Squirrel vs rock retaining wall - 10/07/17 09:24 PM

$4000 squirrel chase. He ran into a ornamental rock wall at full speed, while chasing a squirrel running on top of the fence.

Broken rear knee cap, lacerated front let.

Pinned and wired kneecap. Four pins supporting the external fixation hardware. Vet says he should be hunting in January...but without much stamina since he will be laid up for 10 weeks

Posted By: Walkabout

Re: GSP vs Squirrel vs rock retaining wall - 10/07/17 09:50 PM

Did he get that squirrel?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: GSP vs Squirrel vs rock retaining wall - 10/07/17 10:52 PM

Wow.
Posted By: Guy

Re: GSP vs Squirrel vs rock retaining wall - 10/08/17 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: nak

$4000 squirrel chase.

Man I have had the $1500 injuries a few times over the years, but $4k one injury that hurts. That's when you like to have insurance. God job tho taking care of your dog. up

Re: GSP vs Squirrel vs rock retaining wall - 10/08/17 03:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Walkabout
Did he get that squirrel?

Of course not muyloco

Re: GSP vs Squirrel vs rock retaining wall - 10/08/17 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Guy

Man I have had the $1500 injuries a few times over the years, but $4k one injury that hurts. That's when you like to have insurance. God job tho taking care of your dog. up

$4000 was just the surgery. Add a few hundred for the emergency vet to sew up the leg. A couple of hundred for his regular vet to xray the back leg when it started to swell 2 days later, the follow-up xrays, soft splints, stuff and we'll be in about $6K when its over and done with.

He's joint owned, so I'm only on the hook for 1/3. We talked about insurance last year, but never made a decision. Hindsight is always 20/20
Posted By: shea.mcphail

Re: GSP vs Squirrel vs rock retaining wall - 10/08/17 06:19 AM

Our Australian Shepherd tore her acl this summer. Initial consultation, meds, and surgery came out to over $3800 plus follow up xrays which were over $400. Crazy how expensive dogs get!
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: GSP vs Squirrel vs rock retaining wall - 10/08/17 10:29 PM

ouch, you gotta do what you gotta do
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: GSP vs Squirrel vs rock retaining wall - 10/09/17 10:36 AM

Stories like these is why I purchased a PetPlan policy a few months ago.

I have a friend who is in the rehab process with one of his dogs after going through ACL surgery and just found out another dog is about to have to have the same surgery just months apart. That's going to be up there around $10k....

With the amount I train and hunt paired with a high powered dog Its well worth the $300 a year...
Posted By: Judd

Re: GSP vs Squirrel vs rock retaining wall - 10/09/17 02:36 PM

Sorry to hear about your pup...I hope the recovery goes well.

When I looked into Pet insurance 5-6 years ago (maybe more?) it covered regular type stuff but a knee injury or major stuff it really didn’t cover. Nice to see some insurers are putting together coverages for the hunting type dogs.
Posted By: riverross

Re: GSP vs Squirrel vs rock retaining wall - 10/20/17 02:59 AM

I have experienced the feared double ACL tear with my dog, and have encountered others who have had the same. Been years now and only about to turn 7, but she definitely has some arthritis. Be careful with those guys!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum