Texas Hunting Forum

Ever Heard of a Mini Pointer?

Posted By: Pointer

Ever Heard of a Mini Pointer? - 09/07/17 11:04 PM

A couple of months ago, I bought a 7 week old pointer puppy. She looked great on paper, and I was excited about her and spoke for a female before this litter was whelped.
She was pretty small, but I didnt think much about it, because her two sisters were the same size.

Now, two months later, she is right at 4 months and no taller than my cockers. I call her Tinkerbell.

I've looked up dwarfism in dogs, and they are supposed to have (proportionally)large heads, short legs, and long body. Tink has none of those features. Long legs, I wouldn't say she is short coupled, but her back certainly isn't long, and a beautiful little head. She is well proportioned...just tiny.

She is a running little monkey! Just like she is supposed to be. Her size is the only thing that concerns me. She wouldn't make a good size mouthful for a coyote or a hog.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Ever Heard of a Mini Pointer? - 09/07/17 11:09 PM

I love a short coupled pointer.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Ever Heard of a Mini Pointer? - 09/07/17 11:15 PM

Dynamite comes in a small package.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Ever Heard of a Mini Pointer? - 09/07/17 11:22 PM

The smallest bird dog I owned, left the big ones in the dust. I called her a pocket rocket.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Ever Heard of a Mini Pointer? - 09/07/17 11:53 PM

Small dog = less food, less poop
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Ever Heard of a Mini Pointer? - 09/08/17 12:27 AM

I remember a female named Tina that was a littermate to my Mikey dog. I bet she didn't weigh 35 lbs full grown. Short coupled and could flat out fly and one heck of a bird finder. I'd be very happy with a small pointer. Congrats!
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Ever Heard of a Mini Pointer? - 09/09/17 09:07 PM

Lol sounds nothing wrong with her, just little.

Smaller poop is always a plus... you pulk the wing and string out yet?
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Ever Heard of a Mini Pointer? - 09/10/17 01:04 PM

I prefer smaller dogs.
Take her hunting and count your blessings.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Ever Heard of a Mini Pointer? - 09/10/17 01:58 PM

the old saying "don't judge a book by its cover"
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Ever Heard of a Mini Pointer? - 09/15/17 01:57 AM

I like the small quick ones as well. Most of them seem to physically hold up better as they age, and they travel well.
Posted By: Eagle 1

Re: Ever Heard of a Mini Pointer? - 09/15/17 03:35 PM

I have two active GSP's and one is considerably smaller than the other. Tires less easily and a little more athletic but they both can go.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum