Texas Hunting Forum

HR Club in Belton/Temple area

Posted By: hunting_guy

HR Club in Belton/Temple area - 11/23/15 08:46 PM

Are there any HR clubs in the immediate area of Belton/Temple/Waco?

Thanks again!
Posted By: Sweese

Re: HR Club in Belton/Temple area - 11/23/15 11:23 PM

For UKC HRC clubs search

www.huntingretrieverclub.org

For AKC HRC clubs search here

https://www.apps.akc.org//apps/clubs/search/index.cfm

Re: HR Club in Belton/Temple area - 11/23/15 11:43 PM

Thanks Jay. Looks like the nearest club to me is Bryan/College Station and the soonest event is in March. I got the contact information on there, so I guess I'll get my dog signed up and attend that one for his started. He'll be 10 months at that point, I'm fairly confident he could pass that as it stands right now. Can you run them in multiple tests at the same event if they pass the prerequisite or do I need to wait for another event?

Again, I'm new to all this so I appreciate the info
Posted By: Sweese

Re: HR Club in Belton/Temple area - 11/24/15 04:04 AM

There is no prerequisite on levels. I have started a number of dogs in HRC seasoned from the get-go. You generally will need one more pass when you don't work your way through the levels. Started tests are very straightforward. They include two single retrieves on land and two on water. Dog must deliver within reach. All of this can be found in the HRC rulebook at the HRC website.

Most clubs have two separate hunts per weekend, so on a good weekend you can earn two passes. That can be at the same level or two different levels. For example, you could run started at one test, finish your SHR title and then run seasoned at the test the following day, or go from seasoned to finished. However, you cannot run two different levels at the test on the same day. Grab the rulebook off of the website. It covers the point system and what is expected at each level.

BTW, I just noticed that the Bryan/College station hunt test at the end of March is an Upland test only. The other hunts listed that month are normal HRC hunts with started, seasoned and finished levels. Upland tests are for finished retrievers and include quartering, being steady to wing and shot, and honoring another working dog.

I am a member of the Lone Star HRC in Dallas. We have a test earlier in March. It will be in Bonham, TX. Come on up if you can.

Re: HR Club in Belton/Temple area - 11/24/15 03:57 PM

Thanks so much Jay.

I'll definitely attend the Bonham one then. I'll download a copy of the rules and any literature I need from the site. I have both UKC and AKC membership and Buck is registered under both. Would I need to join and register my dog for the Lone Star HRC in order to attend the event?

I'm fairly confident the dog could pass the started right now, and by March he will be 10 months and should be ready for seasoned as well.

I just really started getting in to all this around July, so its a ton of information to absorb but it sure is fun watching the dog learn and grow each day. I figure I can pick up a bunch of information just from watching other trainers and handlers as well.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum