Texas Hunting Forum

Tartar Buildup

Posted By: thewrap

Tartar Buildup - 02/24/15 08:55 PM

Does anyone have any good ways to help prevent tartar build up for dogs. I was looking at Ranger's teeth the other day and noticed he's got a bit of buildup I just wanted to know how can I make it better and keep it that way. Thanks.
Posted By: duckhacker

Re: Tartar Buildup - 02/24/15 10:50 PM

A big bone to gnaw on
Posted By: huck18

Re: Tartar Buildup - 02/24/15 10:58 PM

Brush his teeth. Seriously...you are supposed to brush your dogs teeth on a regular basis if you don't do this which I do not then you should have your Vet clean them every other year or so.

Giving them bones to chew on helps as well but you will still need to brush his teeth or have them cleaned. FYI teeth cleaning cost $200-$300.
Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: Tartar Buildup - 02/25/15 11:51 AM

Take a small flat head screwdriver and scrape it off periodically. Also give him a big bone to chew on.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Tartar Buildup - 02/25/15 01:34 PM

Cracker is 7 years old and has clean teeth. I give her a dried pig skin each morning.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Tartar Buildup - 02/25/15 05:33 PM

Mine get two Dentastixs each day, and have bright white teeth.
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Tartar Buildup - 02/25/15 08:10 PM

Mine get them to Hers looks better than mine and I use a tooth brush
Posted By: Cochise

Re: Tartar Buildup - 02/25/15 08:29 PM

We brush our two labs teeth twice a week. On the days we don't brush my wife rinses their teeth with a dental rinse. Every day they each get a C.E.T. chew.

My wife is in the veterinary field and after performing 100s of dentals this is what she swears by. It's probably overkill, but it is nice knowing we won't ever have a single dental issue with her regimen.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Tartar Buildup - 02/25/15 08:43 PM

Well I've seen many dogs die from health issues from bad teeth so it might not be over kill.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Tartar Buildup - 02/26/15 04:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Cochise
We brush our two labs teeth twice a week. On the days we don't brush my wife rinses their teeth with a dental rinse. Every day they each get a C.E.T. chew.

My wife is in the veterinary field and after performing 100s of dentals this is what she swears by. It's probably overkill, but it is nice knowing we won't ever have a single dental issue with her regimen.

What dental rinse and what are C.E.T. chews? this is an ongoing problem.

Re: Tartar Buildup - 02/26/15 03:44 PM

Rinse

Chews

The chews can be fairly pricey, but if you shop around you should be able to find them for a decent amount. Your vet should have them too.

We also use their brand of toothpaste.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Tartar Buildup - 02/26/15 08:04 PM

Cochise, thanks for the tip on the Virbac products look like the real deal

Re: Tartar Buildup - 02/26/15 09:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
Cochise, thanks for the tip on the Virbac products look like the real deal

No problem. There are probably other brands out there that might work just as good, but that is just what the wife prefers and we've had good luck with them.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Tartar Buildup - 02/26/15 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: duckhacker
A big bone to gnaw on
This or like Bill said, a dried pig skin
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum