Texas Hunting Forum

Quail hunt gone askew

Posted By: kpaw

Quail hunt gone askew - 11/17/14 09:48 PM

I took my 8 month old pup out for a quail hunt Saturday. It started of great in my eyes(she is still bumping and only flash pointing), she found several coveys and was doing great. I had a collar malfunction, had to use a friends and did not have e-collar control. She broke on a rabbit, I should have put her up then. Maybe 10 minutes later she shoots towards the brush, I see black pop up everywhere. We head that way, and I hear squealing
, and knew it was too late. This is what I found. I wanted to disiplin her, but I knew it should have been done before she caught one (which I did not have the chance, not having the e collar control). I was kinda proud, but I did not let her know that. Any suggestions on how to try to avoid this in the future, I plan on keeping a collar on her and zapping before she gets to some next time, that is if I can see her.
Posted By: TDH09

Re: Quail hunt gone askew - 11/17/14 10:09 PM

Looks like a versatile dog doing what she was bred to do...produce game.

Re: Quail hunt gone askew - 11/17/14 10:26 PM

That was my other thought, I just don't want her to come across a larger hog and get hurt.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Quail hunt gone askew - 11/17/14 10:26 PM

Saw it happen with a field trial bred britt in a pasture near my house. We jumped over a dozen of those little suckers Saturday. No harm done. Don't study about it.
Posted By: changedmyname

Re: Quail hunt gone askew - 11/17/14 10:35 PM

I think it's awesome. My dog knows leave it so I can call him off when I want but I wouldn't purposely break him from pigs.
I'm not a quail purest though.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Quail hunt gone askew - 11/17/14 10:48 PM

I've stitched up some dogs from fighting with hogs and almost lost a good pointer when they all decided to jump on a big sow. Before we had good shock collars the prefered training method would have been to beat the crap out of that dog with the pig carcas then wire it to his collar and let him drag it the rest of the day. That always seemed to break them of catching jackrabbits.
Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: Quail hunt gone askew - 11/18/14 12:39 PM

That versatile dog is doing what it is supposed to do. What you need to do later is train your dog to leave something alone with a verbal command. Mine is OFF. That means leave anything and everything alone. Also one more command that I like to train is down. I can tell her down at any distance and she will drop. The true test is to have your dog drop down while chasing game. If you can do that you will have complete control over your dog. It will also make it safer for your dog. For now, your dog should just be having the time of her life and getting into all types of game.

Here is my quail hunt that went askew when Izzy was about 18 months old. Luckily I was prepared for this big guy. Izzy went from search to tracking and when she hit the brush I heard grunting and knew what was about to happen.

Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Quail hunt gone askew - 11/18/14 01:59 PM

Our Brittany Daisy will point the heck outa some hogs but doesn't try to chase or grab em. I walked right in on a nice little sow last year that she had pointed (actually there were several), and killed it with birdshot we were so close. Now I can read her face when she is pointing hogs or deer and know that it isn't birds before we ever get to her.

I would invest in a skin stapler if I were you just to be safe. Very light & small and could really come in handy.
But other than that, the dog is just doing what it's bred to do.
Posted By: Pointer

Re: Quail hunt gone askew - 11/18/14 07:49 PM

PeeWee (E.pointer)is my hog finder. He just doesn't want any part of them after he points them and they flush. If he appears to be about 1/2 on point, and kinda juking around, I start thinking hog.

One of my females caught a little one in a feeder pen, I could see what I think was mama, coming thru the thick grass to all the squealing and carrying on.
Luckily the piglet broke free of Libby's grip, and shot thru the fence before mama got her courage up!
Posted By: Drahthaar

Re: Quail hunt gone askew - 11/21/14 01:37 AM

if you don't like your dog on pigs you should have got a pointer or setter. not a wirehair or drahthaar.they are bred to hunt anything & everything .Forrest

Re: Quail hunt gone askew - 11/21/14 01:43 AM

By the way you don't need a e colar on a 8 month old puppy. trie a check cord ,and woah breaking. Forrest
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Quail hunt gone askew - 11/21/14 08:17 AM

Yep, DDs are really popular for Hog hunting in Germany. Though not as much as Drahthaars, Vizslas are still used on large game by some and used to not be that uncommon.

Some really cool pictures of Drahthaars with boar.
http://drahthaar.yuku.com/topic/1358/Drahthaars-BoarsPhotos

I stalked hogs on purpose with my older Vizsla Blaze until she went blind from a tick disease. She was never allowed to engage them and they would be shot before they could engage her. Usually at very close range. Once I killed 5 separate hogs over her during a single weekend. My young Dash is more aggressive self thinking and stubborn, so I avoid the hogs with him for now, but when he matures some I may take what I learned with Blaze and train him in that direction then.

Re: Quail hunt gone askew - 11/21/14 03:30 PM

Some clarity is needed. I got a DD because she will be pointing, retrieving, and tracking wounded game. I'm not upset that she got the hog, I'm upset that I was not able to control the situation. I'm training her to hunt what I want when I want, not what she wants when she wants. I first want to thank everyone for their input, I am now working with the command off (thanks). As far as the e-collar vs. check cord. I only use the e-collar for enforcement of commands she is clear on. I take her off the check cord for quail because she can cover more ground than me, (Maybe I don't know what I'm doing), but its the only way I have found to be able to work her on wild quail. We typically cover over 500 acres a day. I did not want to correct her on the hog, I wanted to correct her for not stopping when I blew the whistle, well before the hogs jumped. The zap i mentioned is for not stopping with the whistle, something she an 8 month old puppy is proficient at and knows fully what it means. I agree with everyone that she (DDs) is a versatile dog, that is why I got her, and that is what she will be used for.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Quail hunt gone askew - 11/21/14 04:07 PM

Nice looking pup, looks like mine in that picture.

Yes what other's have said, just some obedience

Re: Quail hunt gone askew - 11/21/14 04:23 PM

Kpaw - do you plan on testing your dog? Have you joined VDD-GNA? We'll have some training days after the new year for pups preparing for their VJP's this spring.

Re: Quail hunt gone askew - 11/21/14 05:16 PM

I'm still looking into it, do you have some information or a website I could look up some information?

Thanks,

Re: Quail hunt gone askew - 11/21/14 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: kpaw
I'm still looking into it, do you have some information or a website I could look up some information?

Thanks,

http://www.vdd-gna.org

What kennel is your dog from in SD?

Re: Quail hunt gone askew - 11/21/14 05:47 PM

Vom Wiredhaus Kennels
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Quail hunt gone askew - 11/21/14 08:27 PM

Great multi purpose hunting dog. Kinda reminds me of a trip I made to a Louisiana saw mill back in the late '60s. When we were there loading a couple of flatbed trailers with oak lumber, got to talking about dogs with one of the hands. (We were always looking for cow dogs and had purchased several from back East that were pretty good dogs). I asked the guy if he knew of any good cowdogs in the area and he said he knew where the best one was in the country. Little while later, I asked him if anyone quail hunted around there as a good friend from DeRidder would bring his pointers to the ranch every year and he had nice dogs. The sawmill hand responded that he knew of a real good bird dog. Before we left, I asked who owned the dogs he was talking about and if he had their phone numbers. He said he was the one who owned the dog. that you must have a big feed bill to feed a bunch of cowdogs and several bird dogs. He responded, "Not really, it is just one dog"....This is a true story.
I never asked the gent to price the dog as I was quite sure I could not afford him.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Quail hunt gone askew - 11/21/14 11:47 PM

I do think now that the pup has caught one, she is going to get excited every time she encounters a hog and it will be difficult to stop her from going after them. That first experience catching one is going to be a huge imprint on her.

Re: Quail hunt gone askew - 11/22/14 01:30 AM

Kpaw, I am really suprised the breeder you got your pup from didn't recomend you to test your pup.IMO you owe it to the breed. anyway www.vdd-gna.org Forrest

Re: Quail hunt gone askew - 11/24/14 02:50 PM

Drahtharr, The breeder did recommend I test her, "strongly". I have been thinking about it often, I'm just not sure financially I can afford it. I got her to assist me in my side job which is guiding hunts, Dove, quail, deer. I'm just trying to figure out what is my best route. Being new to the breed, I'm still learning, and working to figure out what is needed, and how much money it will take to do the test and hunt trials. Like I told the breeder, I will do what I can, but first I have to figure out what that is. The breeder recommended I contact a local chapter. I searched online and found the closet one to me is Dallas, that is an 8 hour drive one way for me. I think now there might be a chapter in Houston, that's a little closer, 4 hours. I'm still new to this stuff and welcome any suggestions, or places for information. I have a hunt this Monday-Wednesday, but will register online later this week, I would do it now, but the paperwork that came with her is at home, Im not.

Re: Quail hunt gone askew - 11/24/14 03:39 PM

What exactly is in Dallas? The big river chapter of the vdd covers the entire state of Texas.

Re: Quail hunt gone askew - 11/24/14 03:42 PM

http://www.vddgnabrc.org/
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Quail hunt gone askew - 11/24/14 06:44 PM

Yep, been there too.
A few years ago we're hunting up near the Red River. Pointer locks up on a stand of brush. Brit honors.
I hear a grunt. In goes the Brit, out comes about eight piglets. My buddy freaks 'cuz we know Mama's in there somewhere. He runs in grabs the Brit's collar all the while hollering at the dog.
The sow runs out and guns start blazin'.

buncha dead pigs.
Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: Quail hunt gone askew - 11/25/14 11:52 AM

I tested Izzy in the first two tests. The guy that use to be in charge of the tests told me that if I trained my dog to do the first two tests, then I would have a dog that could do anything I wanted her to do. He was right.

The tests aren't that expensive. There are only two of them. The field trials are something different. I would just do the VDD tests.
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Quail hunt gone askew - 11/29/14 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By: gary roberson
Great multi purpose hunting dog. Kinda reminds me of a trip I made to a Louisiana saw mill back in the late '60s. When we were there loading a couple of flatbed trailers with oak lumber, got to talking about dogs with one of the hands. (We were always looking for cow dogs and had purchased several from back East that were pretty good dogs). I asked the guy if he knew of any good cowdogs in the area and he said he knew where the best one was in the country. Little while later, I asked him if anyone quail hunted around there as a good friend from DeRidder would bring his pointers to the ranch every year and he had nice dogs. The sawmill hand responded that he knew of a real good bird dog. Before we left, I asked who owned the dogs he was talking about and if he had their phone numbers. He said he was the one who owned the dog. that you must have a big feed bill to feed a bunch of cowdogs and several bird dogs. He responded, "Not really, it is just one dog"....This is a true story.
I never asked the gent to price the dog as I was quite sure I could not afford him.
Adios,
Gary

Good story Gary! up

Re: Quail hunt gone askew - 12/03/14 03:29 PM

I will be joining later this week, are there some descriptions for the VJP test. What is expected, or videos? Being new to this any suggestions or advice is welcome.

Re: Quail hunt gone askew - 12/03/14 04:07 PM

Here you go

http://www.jgv-usa.org/Test_Descriptions/VJP.htm
Posted By: Tmec

Re: Quail hunt gone askew - 12/22/14 11:04 PM

Kpaw the tests are really mostly people just like you, not professionals but just dog owners that want to have a trained hunting dog. I was reluctant as well but I did the 2 tests and I am not at all sorry I did them. They help you focus on training the dog to do what is bred to do.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Quail hunt gone askew - 01/02/15 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster
I've stitched up some dogs from fighting with hogs and almost lost a good pointer when they all decided to jump on a big sow. Before we had good shock collars the prefered training method would have been to beat the crap out of that dog with the pig carcas then wire it to his collar and let him drag it the rest of the day. That always seemed to break them of catching jackrabbits.
seen this with horses & dogs, don't know what to do? "so beat the hell out of them"
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum