Texas Hunting Forum

Dog boots

Posted By: Beretta14

Dog boots - 09/02/14 03:56 AM

We took our GSP hunting this weekend and the grass spurs were RIDICULOUS!! Do any of y'all use a certain brand you would highly recommend to keep the grass spurs out of her feet?
Posted By: changedmyname

Re: Dog boots - 09/02/14 04:08 AM

I have a few sets of these. They work good. Sound like a horse running around.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/lewis-rubber-dog-boots.html
Posted By: My best friend has a tail

Re: Dog boots - 09/02/14 05:14 PM

I agree the Lewis boots are the best. Wrap some surgical tape on the dog's leg to reduce chaffing. Then some good adhesive tape to ensure the boots stay on (hopefully). Check them frequently and keep some spares.
Posted By: zbot11

Re: Dog boots - 09/02/14 08:11 PM

Do the dogs seem to mind them? I was watching my dog haul into cactus and tip toe out yesterday dove hunting and thought there has to be a better way.
Posted By: Beretta14

Re: Dog boots - 09/02/14 10:13 PM

The same thing happened to our pup yesterday. It broke my heart cuz she wanted to go get em but she couldn't bare it frown
Posted By: changedmyname

Re: Dog boots - 09/02/14 10:36 PM

It took about 5 minutes to get him used to them.
Posted By: Eagle 1

Re: Dog boots - 09/03/14 03:29 AM

Lewis here as well...my GSP's hit the ground, clown walk about 15 seconds and then hunt as usual. I use the colored self adhesive horse wrap under the top off boot, then hunter orange duct tape on top. Takes longer to put them on then it does for them to get going.
Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: Dog boots - 09/03/14 11:25 AM

I use the Cabelas delux dog boot. I have never had any issues. They are easy to put on and I have never lost one. The dogs don't even notice them if they are hunting. If they are laying around doing nothing, they will try to pull them off.

I have heard the lewis boots are great. I just have never used them.
Posted By: whiteowl

Re: Dog boots - 09/04/14 06:33 PM

Any issues with dogs not being able to cool as quickly with the boots on?
Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: Dog boots - 09/05/14 11:02 AM

Originally Posted By: whiteowl
Any issues with dogs not being able to cool as quickly with the boots on?

I never thought about it, but I have never had a dog overheat. I have run mine in pretty hot weather and never had an issue.
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Dog boots - 09/06/14 03:20 AM

Originally Posted By: iliketohunt
It took about 5 minutes to get him used to them.

thanks for letting us know.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum