Texas Hunting Forum

best hunting/indoor family dog

Posted By: patrick123

best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/27/14 04:01 PM

ok all... i am looking for feedback (i realize some of you are biased b/c of the dogs you have and you love them dearly) but i am truly seeking what dogs typically do best as family dogs that can go hunting with me. thanks in advance for the feedback and i look forward to hearing from you all. thx
Posted By: Humannpower

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/27/14 04:13 PM

Lab
Posted By: RayB

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/27/14 06:47 PM

Vizsla
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/27/14 07:06 PM

Ok, I'll play.

Brittany. smile
Posted By: First_Chance

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/27/14 07:19 PM

me too...
GSP
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/27/14 07:22 PM

I think it depends more on the individual pup than it does on the breed, but all the above are great.

Posted By: MS1454

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/27/14 08:25 PM

This comes up all the time, plenty to dig through already.

Based on what little information you have give. On your family, home, hunting needs, hard to give an opinion anyway.
Posted By: huck18

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/27/14 08:55 PM

Patrick I know you've been going through this for a long time now. I know you don't want a Lab but they really are the best suited dog for your needs. Also labs come in small packages if you do your homework and find the right breeding.

They will fit your needs the best. I'm not just saying that because I'm a Lab guy because I'm not, I'm a dog guy and I can say without a doubt a Lab will suite your needs better than any other breed I know of.
Posted By: DFW

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/27/14 09:00 PM

X2 for my Velcro dogs..
Posted By: DFW

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/27/14 09:01 PM

Sorry.. did not quote.. someone mentioned a Vizsla.. aka Velcro dogs.. very good family dogs and love to hunt.. do not take to kenneling, harsher methods like english pointers though..
Posted By: sallysue

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/27/14 09:09 PM

A Deutscher Wachtelhund bred to be like that

Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/27/14 09:47 PM

Lab
Posted By: changedmyname

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/28/14 01:50 AM

Vizsla or lab depending on what you hunt most.
Posted By: Hatch

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/28/14 02:40 AM

OK yes I am sided towards my Vizsla but I also have to put a mark in the GSP corner. Vizslas are just such great family lovers.
Posted By: thewrap

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/28/14 03:11 AM

I love my brittany. There's too many reasons to list but I'll list a few.
Extremely smart. He picked up retrieving dove just off of instinct in his first day out hunting.
Very family friendly. When he isn't at the ranch working all he wants to do is play and love on everyone and in return be loved on. (He's a bit of an attention hog, thinks he's a lap dog.)

Fantastic dogs I think, I can't wait to add another to the family.
Posted By: BobMac

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/28/14 11:47 AM

Look into Boykin Spaniels. We love ours.
Posted By: 1okiebirdhunter

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/28/14 12:43 PM

Brittany
Posted By: Judd

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/28/14 01:37 PM

I love my lab but the hair is unreal. Great dogs and I told my wife if someone could make a lab that doesn't shed they'd have the perfect dog in the world.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/28/14 01:38 PM

I have owned a Brittany, Labrador, and Vizslas. All good family dogs. GSPs are bat crazy though. I would read up on the breed and breeder descriptions for each and choose on the type of hunting you will do, the individual traits of each breed, and on the parents of the breeding you get your pup from. Just kidding about GSPs. All four can make great family dogs.
Posted By: seethemkillthem

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/28/14 01:52 PM

I would think it would be based on what you consider a "Family Dog". the reason I ask is most dogs when imprinted at a young age will be great Family Dogs. they will do great with kids and can live in the house without any problems. I think the questions is more of how much time will you be able to spend with the dog. this is where specific breeds will come in. If you have lots of time then some of the more energetic breeds will be fine. If you have limited time I would recommend a less energetic breed. I think most hunting breeds will work great just figure out how much time you have and get a healthy puppy and have fun.
Posted By: patrick123

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/28/14 03:58 PM

thanks for all the feedback everyone. to elaborate more i mostly hunt dove and waterfowl. in regards to my living situation i live in an apartment but it has a few great dog play areas and is next to a running trail i use daily. typically speaking i will be able to speand time working/playing with the dog in the morning hours and evening hours. however, during the day i would not have much if any time ot spare to play with the dog. i do have family that lives close by that has, in the past, come by and taken care of my other dogs (though i do not ahve any right now). so that is an update on what i know thus far. i noticed noone said golden's... is that b/c they just have mostly had the hunting part of them bred out? just curious. thanks again fro the advise.

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/28/14 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: patrick123
thanks for all the feedback everyone. to elaborate more i mostly hunt dove and waterfowl. in regards to my living situation i live in an apartment but it has a few great dog play areas and is next to a running trail i use daily. typically speaking i will be able to speand time working/playing with the dog in the morning hours and evening hours. however, during the day i would not have much if any time ot spare to play with the dog. i do have family that lives close by that has, in the past, come by and taken care of my other dogs (though i do not ahve any right now). so that is an update on what i know thus far. i noticed noone said golden's... is that b/c they just have mostly had the hunting part of them bred out? just curious. thanks again fro the advise.

Goldens are a great choice as well if you don't want a Lab. Just make sure you do your homework and get a quality field bred dog since you want to hunt with it. The show bred or common back yard bred Goldens are not going to be of much use in the field, there bred way to big and slow for field work. I've never seen a show bred Golden that would hunt worth a damn, there 100lb lap dogs. But if you do the research and spend the cash you should be able to find a quality Golden that will fit your needs very well.
Posted By: Dave B

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/28/14 06:18 PM

Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
Ok, I'll play.

Brittany. smile

Agree 100%. Just need CCBIRDDOGMAN to take my boy Max for a month or 2 to properly train him. What say you Kevin?
Posted By: maximumintensityretriever

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/28/14 07:19 PM

I wouldn't say that. I have a golden in the kennel right now that would blow the doors off of most dogs. It all has to do with finding the right breeding.

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/28/14 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave B
Ok, I'll play.

Brittany. smile

Agree 100%. Just need CCBIRDDOGMAN to take my boy Max for a month or 2 to properly train him. What say you Kevin?

Let's see what the bird populations look like this year, I might can find a box he could ride in on a few trips. up If nothing else, you can bring him up to the lake & we can work him on some pigeons right by the house in the morning & go Crappie fish in the afternoon. Win Win.
Posted By: super

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/28/14 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: huck18
Originally Posted By: patrick123

Goldens are a great choice as well if you don't want a Lab. Just make sure you do your homework and get a quality field bred dog since you want to hunt with it. The show bred or common back yard bred Goldens are not going to be of much use in the field, there bred way to big and slow for field work. I've never seen a show bred Golden that would hunt worth a damn, there 100lb lap dogs. But if you do the research and spend the cash you should be able to find a quality Golden that will fit your needs very well.

I think huck18 is on the spot. You should stay with the retrieving breeds. Check out the local HRC clubs for Golden recommendations if that is what you like.
Posted By: changedmyname

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/28/14 08:33 PM

Ok, I'll play.

Brittany. smile

Let's see what the bird populations look like this year, I might can find a box he could ride in on a few trips. up If nothing else, you can bring him up to the lake & we can work him on some pigeons right by the house in the morning & go Crappie fish in the afternoon. Win Win.

You hunt in Oklahoma right? Just so you know I see at least 2 a day while out jogging. I'm 5 miles north of Cheyenne. I was in the same area last summer and saw maybe 2 in a month.

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/28/14 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: iliketohunt
Ok, I'll play.

Brittany. smile

You hunt in Oklahoma right? Just so you know I see at least 2 a day while out jogging. I'm 5 miles north of Cheyenne. I was in the same area last summer and saw maybe 2 in a month.

Yep, we are between Waurika & Duncan. You are right there by the Black kettle, I've hunted there a few times, can be pretty good if you know where to go. Thanks for the report.

To the O.P., sorry for hijacking your post.
Posted By: J.M. Brown

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/29/14 02:22 AM

I've had labs since I was a kid and they were great around by younger brother and sisters. I've got a black lab female now that's great with my 3 and 6 year olds and a pretty good hunter too.
Posted By: Judd

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/29/14 01:51 PM

Who would want to deal with the Golden's hair? They are awesome dogs but the maintenance vs a lab would keep me away from them. I can't imagine picking crap out of there hair after every hunt. It would make me hate that decision.

Just something to think about. They are great pets though.
Posted By: kindall

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/29/14 03:19 PM

I own Vizsla, and think the something about Labs.
Great dogs but a lot more shedding.
Posted By: garrett

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/29/14 03:40 PM

chessies are pretty laid back inside the house...they take life way more serious than the other breeds, no horseplay please

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/29/14 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: maximumintensityretriever
I wouldn't say that. I have a golden in the kennel right now that would blow the doors off of most dogs. It all has to do with finding the right breeding.

I would bet a lot of money it's not a bench bred dog.
Posted By: kindall

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/29/14 08:00 PM

I saw some nice looking field bred goldens at Dr. Tatum's office yesterday.
Posted By: RayB

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/29/14 08:10 PM

Golden = Swamp Collie laugh bolt
Posted By: maximumintensityretriever

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/29/14 08:11 PM

That would be a safe bet!
Posted By: Jordan A

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/29/14 11:30 PM

Do you now?????

wink cheers up
Posted By: Phantom

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 05/30/14 04:26 PM

My GSP is the best family dog I have ever owned. I also have a chessie and the only drawback is his size however he is the best water dog I have ever owned.
Posted By: PiperBrooklyn

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 06/27/14 10:26 PM

Agree, mine just turned 3 yrs. old and the smartest/calmest hunting I have ever had. Looking to pick-up another in the near future.
Posted By: Angie B

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 06/29/14 01:08 AM

For waterfowling you can't beat a lab. Easy to train, easy to live with. A GREAT amateur dog. Take them to a groomer every 6 weeks and there won't be a hair problem.

Next on the list is a chessie.. They are a little bit more of a head game,, but a great dog in the field and on the pond. They are a quiet dog in the house and all business in the field.

Boykins are great,,, good luck finding a good one. It's pretty tough. They are a bit of head game, very watery but VERY busy,,, They have a hard time finding their off switch.

I can't recommend a golden. Sorry can't do it. Their temperaments have gotten HORRIBLE in general and the majority can't stand having their feet get wet. Plus hunting them is a nightmare with all that coat. Just training them in any kind of cover makes me be a professional groomer again. Yikes!! I'm always removing mats and picking out seed awns and burrs.. Why?? The breed has gone soooo sideways IMHO... Plus nothing will bite you quicker without warning then a golden.

FWIW

Angie
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 07/21/14 02:58 AM

I have a Brit and a English Pointer. Both are great family dogs and marvelous in the field.
Can't say on the indoor part, never kept a dog inside.
Posted By: Bob Bean

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 07/29/14 07:13 PM

Put me in for a Brittany. Mine is a French Brittany which is a little smaller than the American britt field dogs. She is the sweetest and smartest dog if had. only problem is that I went out of town for a week when she was a pup and my wife put her in the bed and she still thinks its hers. She is absolutely part of the family and loves everyone.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 07/29/14 07:30 PM

jack russel

or a lab.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 07/29/14 07:31 PM

Almost forgot about a BMC one of the best breed of dogs
Posted By: Adub2123

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 07/30/14 04:02 PM

I have a GWP, would HIGHLY RECOMMEND. Great inside with family and a beast in the field or in the water. I was a lab guy for years, and have switched over! Just my preference
Posted By: Texas Bowhunter

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 07/30/14 11:27 PM

Lab! just depends on the pedigree of the dog. Check out Hunter's Creek Retrievers in Houston. John Tate knows his litters very well and picks your dog for you depending on what your looking for. a little pricey but truly you get the best house dog as wells an incredible hunting companion with plenty of drive but still content with laying on the couch.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 07/30/14 11:35 PM

Don't get a pointer.

Posted By: General Guts

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 07/31/14 09:30 PM

Posted By: Revoman

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 08/01/14 01:06 PM

I've had Labs and GSP's over the years. Both make great family /hunting dogs. I prefer the GSP.
Posted By: First_Chance

Re: best hunting/indoor family dog - 08/01/14 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: General Guts

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum