Texas Hunting Forum

Looking to Stub My Silver Lab out

Posted By: DuckKiller2010

Looking to Stub My Silver Lab out - 03/13/13 08:57 PM

This is Gunner. Great gun dog. Has hunted hard for 2 years on ducks, dove, geese, chuckar, and pheasant.

What should I charge to stud him out to someone. I have someone asking me to borrow him.

He is fully registerd and a great gun dog.

Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: Looking to Stub My Silver Lab out - 03/13/13 09:47 PM

My buddy has studded his male several times and he usually negotiates pick of the litter or price of 1.5 pups as a stud fee.
Posted By: Dkhntr

Re: Looking to Stub My Silver Lab out - 03/13/13 10:21 PM

This is my sisters silver a few monts ago. breeder told her if she was to breed him that 1000 is stud fee on a silver. Idk if that's reasonable but that's what they said.
Posted By: easton1025

Re: Looking to Stub My Silver Lab out - 03/13/13 10:29 PM

pic of litter or what they sell one pup for....Had EIC tested, hips,eyes,elbows tested.....?I have a college friend that studs his male and splits it 50/50...he is also responsible for any of the Bitches vet bills as a result of pregnancy 50/50..Un orthodox but he has never been burned and done it with people he trusts...
Posted By: Angie B

Re: Looking to Stub My Silver Lab out - 03/13/13 10:40 PM

First you have to get all his genetic clearances done. Hips, elbows, eyes and EIC at the very minimum. If everything comes back good on the tests,,, I would say $500.

Angie
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Looking to Stub My Silver Lab out - 03/13/13 10:56 PM

I would not breed a female pointer to any dog without some numbers. I'd go for a national champion. You couldn't pay me. It might be different with labs.

Re: Looking to Stub My Silver Lab out - 03/13/13 11:09 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I would not breed a female pointer to any dog without some numbers. I'd go for a national champion. You couldn't pay me. It might be different with labs.

I agree,,, but it all depends on the market you're catering too.

Angie
Posted By: ShotGunWillie

Re: Looking to Stub My Silver Lab out - 03/14/13 01:03 AM

You lost me at "Looking to STUB my SILVER lab out".
Posted By: Dkhntr

Re: Looking to Stub My Silver Lab out - 03/14/13 10:55 AM

Originally Posted By: ShotGunWillie
You lost me at "Looking to STUB my SILVER lab out".

I feel stupid for not catching that.

Re: Looking to Stub My Silver Lab out - 03/14/13 12:48 PM

Oops! No spell check on my posts I guess.
Posted By: Bigjoe8504

Re: Looking to Stub My Silver Lab out - 03/14/13 02:19 PM

I would say with no stated clearances, no titles (any hunting title or show title would add value), and no known prior pups to use as examples of what he is capable of producing, the ONLY thing adding value will be the silver color. If it were me I would be begging for a pup at best, seeing as it is a stud and the market is full of people with non titled and non clearanced studs $200-$300 seems above fair for cash value. Do yourself a favor if you would really like to stud him out and get clearances. And if he's good enough take him for some Hunt Tests. If you are not looking to "businessize" it, then stud him out for a pup... it's your best option.

Re: Looking to Stub My Silver Lab out - 03/15/13 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Bigjoe8504
I would say with no stated clearances, no titles (any hunting title or show title would add value), and no known prior pups to use as examples of what he is capable of producing, the ONLY thing adding value will be the silver color. If it were me I would be begging for a pup at best, seeing as it is a stud and the market is full of people with non titled and non clearanced studs $200-$300 seems above fair for cash value. Do yourself a favor if you would really like to stud him out and get clearances. And if he's good enough take him for some Hunt Tests. If you are not looking to "businessize" it, then stud him out for a pup... it's your best option.

Well said!!! Kudo's

Angie
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Looking to Stub My Silver Lab out - 03/15/13 01:13 PM

The owner of the female is taking a hit on the price of the pups, if the stud is not very well know.

Re: Looking to Stub My Silver Lab out - 03/15/13 01:32 PM

I could care less about getting another dog right now. Don't need two hunting dogs at the same time. And they asked me to use him, not me trying to find a new line of business.
Posted By: Bigjoe8504

Re: Looking to Stub My Silver Lab out - 03/15/13 01:59 PM

Then in my opinion take whatever they will offer. As I stated above $200-$300 for an unknown stud is above reasonable. If this were a black, yellow, chocolate male it would be closer to $100-150. That being said, I didn't mean to step on any toes, my intention was to try to get you top dollar for what you have. If you were to take a pup and sell it you might could pull $300-400 or more if you just sell it to whoever as a pet. Silver labs can sell for $1000 to people that have no clue about health issues related to labs but think they are cute. Its not right in my opinion to sell a pup for that price with no health guarantee but that is your business not mine.

In short, I would say tell them $300 and bargain down to whatever they will go.

Re: Looking to Stub My Silver Lab out - 03/16/13 12:07 AM

Then ask what your time is worth and no more.

Angie
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum