Texas Hunting Forum

IS HE SMALL FOR HIS AGE?

Posted By: daniel25s

IS HE SMALL FOR HIS AGE? - 03/06/13 08:29 PM

my GSP pointer is 6 months old and to me he looks very small for his age
what do yall think?

Posted By: Navasot

Re: IS HE SMALL FOR HIS AGE? - 03/06/13 08:30 PM

Dnt seem to bad for 6 months... how big do they usualy get?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: IS HE SMALL FOR HIS AGE? - 03/06/13 08:38 PM

He didn't look like a GSP to me.

Re: IS HE SMALL FOR HIS AGE? - 03/06/13 08:43 PM

he is 100% GSP he just seems to be on the small side from what im used to seeing but it could just be me
Posted By: MS1454

Re: IS HE SMALL FOR HIS AGE? - 03/06/13 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
He didn't look like a GSP to me.

X2

The p in gsp is pointer so when you say my gsp pointer makes me think my gsp/pointer cross which is what he looks like.

Hard to tell from a pic.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: IS HE SMALL FOR HIS AGE? - 03/06/13 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Dnt seem to bad for 6 months... how big do they usualy get?

That's hard to define since there are many variances within the breed but I think average is 55-70

Re: IS HE SMALL FOR HIS AGE? - 03/06/13 09:00 PM

now yal got me worried
i have papers on him and got him from what i thought was a good breeder which stated he was 100% GSP and was from hunting stock
i will try and find more pics to see maybe if its just these pics that make him look not like a full blood GSP

Re: IS HE SMALL FOR HIS AGE? - 03/06/13 09:01 PM

this is where i bought him
http://www.katygsp.com/
Posted By: First_Chance

Re: IS HE SMALL FOR HIS AGE? - 03/06/13 09:28 PM

He probably just hasn't grown into his legs yet. GSP's will stay very leggy until they're a year or so and then start to fillout, If he's got long legs and looks disproportionate at 6 months, that's pretty normal for a gsp pup.

Re: IS HE SMALL FOR HIS AGE? - 03/06/13 09:31 PM

thanks for the info
another thing i thought could cause this was when he was about 3 months old he had Giardia would that stunt his growth at all??

Re: IS HE SMALL FOR HIS AGE? - 03/06/13 09:46 PM

I'm not aware of anything (or ever heard of) giardia stunting growth in a pup. Did you see the parents on site? He might just be on the small side but doesn't look that small to me in the pictures. IMO, smaller can be a good thing if you plan to hunt him. Sometimes guys get caught up in wanting the "big dog" and want them to weigh 100# by the time they are 6 months old... that almost never works out in a hunting dog and is very tough on their bones and joints. They'll run and hunt longer, and get through brush easier and more efficiently, especially in the heat when they don't have to carry as much weight.

Re: IS HE SMALL FOR HIS AGE? - 03/06/13 09:47 PM

his mother is 50 LBS and his father is 55 lbs
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: IS HE SMALL FOR HIS AGE? - 03/06/13 10:10 PM

Go to Google Images

Type into the google search box: GSP 6 months old. That should bring up a bunch of photos of GSPs of that age. This was one on first page. Looks about the same size as your GSP. Note my year old Vizsla has grown a bunch in size since he was 6 months old.

http://trainhuntingdogs.com/pointing/699

Re: IS HE SMALL FOR HIS AGE? - 03/06/13 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By: daniel25s
his mother is 50 LBS and his father is 55 lbs

Then you can pretty much count on him being on the small side. 50-55# is a great size for an upland dog. BTW, he's a great looking pup! Good luck with him.
Posted By: kindall

Re: IS HE SMALL FOR HIS AGE? - 03/06/13 10:11 PM

I wouldn't worry about size. He is going to be 2-3 years old before fully filled out.
I don't own GSP but own vizsla. The largest weights 57 lbs and the smallest weights 41 lbs. The small one is a pocket rocket. She can cover a field in half the time of the others. Has endurance and can bust through cover like a big dog.
I don't think there is a downside to a smaller pointer. You don't need to be real big to find, and retrieve birds.
Posted By: Bigjoe8504

Re: IS HE SMALL FOR HIS AGE? - 03/07/13 02:13 AM

Just to put a good word in. I looked at katygsp before I got me pups and passed cause my wife didn't want to spend the money. I can't say for sure but I didn't get the impression she was selling fakes.

On the other hand he looks just like the crosses I just bought from a couple in Fulshear. He's quite a bit bigger than my pups and they are 3 months old... I'm sure he's gonna grow a lot over the next couple years.
Posted By: stylesp

Re: IS HE SMALL FOR HIS AGE? - 03/07/13 04:32 PM

my GSP is the same age and about the same size

Re: IS HE SMALL FOR HIS AGE? - 03/07/13 05:14 PM

thanks for the info guys
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum