Texas Hunting Forum

Grass eaters/ puppies

Posted By: waterandwoods

Grass eaters/ puppies - 02/24/13 03:26 PM

Does it hurt the puppies to eat grass? I know when my last lab ate grass, she wasn't feeling well. I gotta figure the puppy is just being a puppy and maybe I am being a bit overprotective. Go figure.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Grass eaters/ puppies - 02/24/13 03:34 PM

My dog always throws up after eating grass. I just tell my dog “no” when she does, that is a good command to teach your dog. Hold pup underneath jaw with one hand, and a little pop on top of the snout with 2 fingers (not hard) with a “no” will reinforce that command.
Posted By: waterandwoods

Re: Grass eaters/ puppies - 02/24/13 06:26 PM

my other did too. told me she didnt feel good as to why she was doing it and usually there was a good reason
Posted By: 3 alarm bbq

Re: Grass eaters/ puppies - 02/24/13 11:34 PM

Both my dogs (Golden, and Llewellin setter) will both graze on weeds for no reason at all.
Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

Re: Grass eaters/ puppies - 02/25/13 03:15 AM

It is believed that the grass helps with digestion and/or cleaning their teeth. It's very common behavior and usually harmless.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Grass eaters/ puppies - 02/25/13 07:02 AM

Mine eat it all the time.
Posted By: greygooser

Re: Grass eaters/ puppies - 02/25/13 04:22 PM

Some dogs do it a lot, others only when they have a bad stomach. My Weimaraner eats a small amount of grass daily amongst all the sticks, paper and food. He's been ill just recently and ate the equivalent of a 2-3 cups of grass. Needless to say he threw it back up 3 hours later.

Its pretty normal, don't worry.
Posted By: Don Dial

Re: Grass eaters/ puppies - 02/26/13 11:12 PM

All dogs eat grass...Even our Eng Mastiffs when outside will eat some at times...it's roughage..Dogs/Coyotes/ect are Omnivores..they can eat and digest meat or veg. matter equally well. They get fiber from it also..usually if they throw up it's
because they got excited, or ran just after eating or drinking and are not use to strenuous exercise.DD
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum