Texas Hunting Forum

Hip Displacia Question

Posted By: Rollin Shabbos

Hip Displacia Question - 10/05/11 08:48 PM

So i found out my 13 month old lab has hip dispacia. The Dr is suggesting that i have a Triple Pelvic Osteotomy (TPO) performed to fix her shallow cups. My cousin who is in Vet school and supports that decision says it is an amazing procedure and has a very high success rate. In this procedure they fracture the cup in 3 places, insert metal growth plates and reshape the cups to better hold the femoral head. sounds terrible but quality of life for my pup is most important.

So here is my question, has anybody ever had this procedure done to their dog? How do you handle dogs with hip dispacia? What is recovery like? Is it worth the procedure?

Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

Re: Hip Displacia Question - 10/05/11 10:09 PM

UGH. I'm so sorry to hear about this! We've never had a dog with hip dysplasia (or had any puppy returns or claims for it), but I can imagine how heart wrenching that must be. I think I've seen folks post about the surgery before, so I hope they'll chime in. For future reference though, please check with the breeder before choosing a pup - they should have had the parents checked PLUS provide a health guarantee on the pups.

Best wishes for you and pup.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum