Texas Hunting Forum

Retriever Clubs

Posted By: Budgeteer

Retriever Clubs - 07/19/11 03:16 PM

I've seen references in various posts in this section that refer to "clubs" when talking about training issues. I've got a female Lab coming up on two years old in October and would like to take her obedience training farther than it currently is. Although she is an absolute retrieving machine, I'm not going to hunt her.

I've read a few books and have gotten some good ideas, but I'm much more hands-on with this kind of thing and feel like she and I could both benefit from direct involvement with others. We've done a group class at Pet Smart, but that wasn't as good an experience as I'd hoped for. I've considered sending her to some of the folks recommended here, but (in all honesty) I'm really not looking to not have her at home.

She's pretty good with sit, down, off, leave it, and shake (thanks to my son's girlfriend), but all of those need to be better refined. The most help needed is with stay and walking on a leash. She'll walk beside me but tends to pull and will sit next to me most of the time when I stop. I'd like to eventually get her to where she'll stick with me without a leash, stay when told to, etc. I think she and I can both learn provided we're shown the correct way to do things.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I'm thinking a retriever club might be a good approach where we can both interact with other likeminded people and their dogs, get some training tips, etc. My question, then, is getting active with a retriever club a worthwhile way to address my training desires, or am I better off getting one-on-one with a quality trainer? I'm in Frisco, so recommendations on either one are welcome.

Thanks!!

Posted By: Angie B

Re: Retriever Clubs - 07/19/11 05:40 PM

I would take her to an obedience class. There's several different levels of classes. There are several good dog training centers that teach you how to train your dog in the area. I've recommended the Hound House in Carrollton and What a Great Dog in Ponder. That's just a couple there's lots of good ones.

I think there is where you would get the instruction you're looking for.

Angie

Posted By: Budgeteer

Re: Retriever Clubs - 07/19/11 07:22 PM

Thanks, Angie. I appreciate it. Is What A Good Dog in Ponder or Prosper? Either way, those are good suggestions and we'll look at one of them.

Posted By: Jase

Re: Retriever Clubs - 07/19/11 08:35 PM

What a Great Dog is in Prosper. I took my lab there last night for her first Intermediate class. If you call up there, Maureen will have you bring your dog and give you a quick evaluation and her recommendation.

I was fairly impressed last night, hopefully this will help me get my dog under better control. At the end of the class, she brought out some agility training pieces and we all ran our dogs through it. Kimber had a blast with it once she figured out how to go through the tubes.

Posted By: Jase

Re: Retriever Clubs - 07/19/11 08:37 PM

I'm also going to the Lone Star HRC meeting this thursday to check them out.

Posted By: Angie B

Re: Retriever Clubs - 07/19/11 09:43 PM

Sorry,,, It is Prosper...

Jason I'm glad you had a good class. Practice everyday and you two will soon be on the same page.

Angie

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum