Texas Hunting Forum

Water and gators

Posted By: Gengo

Water and gators - 05/06/11 07:02 PM

Been seeing quite a bit of gators so far this year so I have been taking Willie a little further away to a beach off a ship channel. It's good for now but I really want to train him in the marsh but the amount of gators have scared me away. Do yall not worry about gators when training? At least during duck season they aren't active and I have a gun in case one decides to make a run for my dog, but now it really cuts down on my water options.

So should I just not worry about it or what??

Posted By: kindall

Re: Water and gators - 05/06/11 07:28 PM

I would worry about it.
No sense in taking a chance.
Try to find a gatorless pond for training.

Re: Water and gators - 05/06/11 07:33 PM

Those are hard to come by in my area. All the new detention ponds for new subdivisions are either bone dry or gated off. I think I may have to just use the big drainage ditches or something!

Posted By: Judd

Re: Water and gators - 05/06/11 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: kindall
I would worry about it.

+1

Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Water and gators - 05/06/11 09:31 PM

I'd definitely be worried about it.

Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

Re: Water and gators - 05/06/11 11:19 PM

Gators are bad enough... but this is NESTING season. They'll be aggressive!

Posted By: kdub

Re: Water and gators - 05/07/11 01:02 AM

Glad I haven't seen any around here...doesn't mean that they aren't though....watch out it's not worth it.

Re: Water and gators - 05/09/11 01:37 PM

Dang it that limits quite a bit of water in my area. I guess I am going to have to start making trips up to the lake.

Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

Re: Water and gators - 05/09/11 02:44 PM

The closest lakes to me are Steinhagen, Rayburn and Livingston - all which have gators. No way are any of my dogs going in those waters during the warm season! Fortunately, we have ponds on our property or we're not too terribly far to drive to the coast (still gotta be careful there.) Gators are such a pain! Hope you find a safe place to train!

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum