Texas Hunting Forum

puppy food

Posted By: yask65

puppy food - 03/28/11 03:07 AM

ok will be getting puppy soon .question is what brand of food would you start it on ! will not be science diet !

Posted By: jaymz

Re: puppy food - 03/28/11 03:13 AM

You are going to get a hundred different answers, but I will throw my hat in for Blue Buffalo.

I fed my dogs Nutro, Science Diet and all kinds of expensive stuff. 3 years ago I put them on Blue Buffalo due to a trainer friend of mines recommendation. I've never looked back.

My dogs poops are smaller.
Their coats are wonderful (see my sig below).
Their energy level is incredible. My 11 year old German Shepherd acts like he is 2. My Lab will run and run and swim and swim until I give out.

They are both really healthy. Even after my Lab got heartworms and treatment, she will still outlast me during play time.

It's good stuff, no corn filler. It's expensive, but worth it.

Posted By: kindall

Re: puppy food - 03/28/11 01:25 PM

I know some people that have had good results with Blue on adult dogs. The three people I know that tried the Blue puppy food weren't happy with it. Pups kept getting loose stools even after being on the food for a long period of time.

Posted By: bill oxner

Re: puppy food - 03/28/11 01:33 PM

Consumer Report did a study on dog foods several years ago. They concluded that all the dog foods in the study were fine, and that puppies did not need puppy food. I use adult dog food for my puppies.

Posted By: DoubleB20

Re: puppy food - 03/28/11 01:43 PM

I normally feed Loyall Performance Food and compared the percentages of the ingredients to the Loyall puppy and there was very little difference between the puppy and performance food so I stopped feeding the puppy and just feed them the same as the rest of the dogs.

Posted By: Chet

Re: puppy food - 03/28/11 02:12 PM

Have fed Eukanuba puppy for years and very happy with the health, stamina, weight gain and stools from thier feed. I've never really compared their puppy feed to the adult I feed the older dogs and I guess now I'm afraid to, but I'll trust them to make the feed a puppy needs. I rarely feed puppy formula past 6-8 months then go with adult.

Posted By: bill oxner

Re: puppy food - 03/28/11 02:29 PM

The only time it's ever a problem keeping two different dog foods is when you go on the road with puppies and adult dogs.

Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

Re: puppy food - 03/28/11 02:49 PM

Over the years, we've tried plenty... Iams, Purina Pro, Exclusive, Red Flannel, Enhance... We've been pretty settled on Diamond NATURAL for a little over a year, now. Every so often, we'd get a dog in or whelp a pup with allergies and since going to the 'NO SOY, NO CORN, NO WHEY', we've not had to deal with any allergic reactions.

Posted By: reeltexan

Re: puppy food - 03/28/11 05:25 PM

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

like IronSpike, I feed Diamond Naturals.

Posted By: First_Chance

Re: puppy food - 03/28/11 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: reeltexan
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

like IronSpike, I feed Diamond Naturals.

X3

Posted By: rockyraider

Re: puppy food - 03/28/11 05:47 PM

Diamond Lamb and Rice, adult food, with glucosamine. We fed our Lab puppy Nutro Puppy and he developed bilateral OCD in both shoulders. I am in NO way saying that the food had anything to do with it, but his condition led me to do a bunch of research and I concluded, I will not feed puppy food again. Most experts, DVM's and breeders say that puppy food could likely do more harm than good with fast growing large breed dogs. Too much calcium and protien is thought to POSSIBLY have something to do with OCD and Pano due to it promoting accelerated bone growth. When our Labs shoulder issues began to surface our Vet agreed that the "hot food" was not worth the gamble and that he would likely be better off on an adult food which might slow his growth just a bit.

Posted By: Skybuster05

Re: puppy food - 03/28/11 05:48 PM

I lost a dog to a dag of Diamond years ago. If you google it you will find they sent out contaminated bags. I KNOW they fixed it but still shy away from it.

Eukanumba for me as well

Posted By: lakewaydr50

Re: puppy food - 03/28/11 05:49 PM

Just started Abbi on Purina Puppy Chow, I've used it with every pup I have ever owned and had no problems...some of the info you guys are posting has me interested in looking at other sources though.......

Posted By: Skybuster05

Re: puppy food - 03/28/11 06:05 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10771943/ns/health-pet_health/

Here is one of the links.

WITH this being shown, I have friends who feed diamond without any problems for years. I purchased the food from a provider who did not remove the food from its shelves when recalled. I dont think its bad just I had a bad experience and stay away from it because of what happened

Re: puppy food - 03/28/11 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Skybuster05
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10771943/ns/health-pet_health/

Here is one of the links.

WITH this being shown, I have friends who feed diamond without any problems for years. I purchased the food from a provider who did not remove the food from its shelves when recalled. I dont think its bad just I had a bad experience and stay away from it because of what happened

Can't blame you, there. Sometimes those recalls come too late, anyway. One other thing we do whenever we can... since we raise our own sheep & chickens, our dogs get 'fresh-from-the-farm-food' whenever it's available! Puppies get fresh goat's milk, too.

Posted By: kbobbjr

Re: puppy food - 03/28/11 08:42 PM

I only feed Eukanuba, puppy and adult. I've tried other brands but none of them worked as well, IMHO.

Posted By: SR025

Re: puppy food - 03/28/11 09:57 PM

I fed my dogs blue for a few years but have recently switched to Fromm grain free beef and it has helped with allergies and they can't get enough of it.

Posted By: native_

Re: puppy food - 03/29/11 12:53 AM

Check out Victor. It's good stuff and it's a decent price too. It's on dogfoodadvisor.com

Posted By: cockerfan

Re: puppy food - 03/29/11 03:07 AM

I feed adult food all the way through and haven't had problems. Right now I am feeding 4 health and I'm very happy with it. I have tried purina, native, and diamond, but my dogs are clearly responding to 4 Health very well. I have also been able to cut back on the amount that I feed themsince I started on 4 Health.

Posted By: Smartydogs

Re: puppy food - 03/30/11 12:57 AM

We have used Purina Pro Plan, Loyall puppy and they were all really expensive and I saw few differences in the puppies. We have moved all of our dogs - all ages including puppy - to Diamond Extreme Athelete. It's corn free and very high in protein and fat.

I'm feeding a kennel of 30 plus 15 puppies right now and it's a good value based upon the amount fed. Good luck!

Re: puppy food - 03/30/11 01:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Smartydogs
We have used Purina Pro Plan, Loyall puppy and they were all really expensive and I saw few differences in the puppies. We have moved all of our dogs - all ages including puppy - to Diamond Extreme Athelete. It's corn free and very high in protein and fat.

I'm feeding a kennel of 30 plus 15 puppies right now and it's a good value based upon the amount fed. Good luck!

Our pups and muscled up boys get the Extreme Athlete. The boys lose weight/muscle mass without it. Most of the females do well on a 50/50 mix of Chicken Natural (highest fat & protein of the Diamond Natural mixes) and Extreme Athlete. Very happy with this feed for about a year, now.

Posted By: yask65

Re: puppy food - 03/31/11 05:28 AM

thank you for everyone who made comments ! still not sure what i will feed but will read through again then make my choice !

Posted By: lakewaydr50

Re: puppy food - 03/31/11 01:16 PM

Originally Posted By: IronSpikeLabs
Originally Posted By: Smartydogs

Our pups and muscled up boys get the Extreme Athlete. The boys lose weight/muscle mass without it. Most of the females do well on a 50/50 mix of Chicken Natural (highest fat & protein of the Diamond Natural mixes) and Extreme Athlete. Very happy with this feed for about a year, now.
Just checked out Diamond Dog Food on the net...I'm definitely interested in this. I also found out that the feed store just down the road from me is a dealer for Diamond products so I can get it really close to the house.....

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum