Texas Hunting Forum

squirrel dog???

Posted By: caddokiller

squirrel dog??? - 09/23/10 09:34 PM

Anyone know where I can bu a good puppy to train to hunt? Would like a feist or curr. thx

Posted By: Blood-Tracker

Re: squirrel dog??? - 09/26/10 05:10 PM

We will have a Litter of CKC Registered Blackmouth Cur Puppies here (October 2010) at our place in Goliad, Texas! We primarily use our BMC for "Tracking Wounded Deer" for our customers but, I know they make excellent hunters for other types of game as well! These puppies will be offered at $600 each (male 'or' female). Let me know if you would like additional information on our stock as I would be happy to share more with you.
Thanks, Mike

Posted By: NewGulf

Re: squirrel dog??? - 09/26/10 05:38 PM

ive got a GOOD catahoula pup 3 months old that would make an excellent squirrel dog............she is free.....fawn in color with 1 blue eye.....ive got plenty of dogs......hope i can help

Posted By: PD

Re: squirrel dog??? - 09/27/10 02:54 AM

Here is the website for all things squirrel dog:

http://www.sqdog.com/forums

They have a classified section. You might have to register, I don't remember.

Posted By: Mud Shark

Re: squirrel dog??? - 09/27/10 11:49 AM

I was going to say a Catahoula also. Great dogs, great nose, great hunters period. I had one growing up and when she was 15, she would take some of her food and put it on the ground by a tree, wait for the squirels and smoke 'em like a hooka... She was legit!

Posted By: kindall

Re: squirrel dog??? - 09/27/10 01:28 PM

I don't know anything about this breeder other than they have Feist puppies, and are located in Texas.

http://www.westbrookmountainfeist.com/about.html

Posted By: duckdown

Re: squirrel dog??? - 09/28/10 12:58 AM

you can look on squirrelhaters.net lots of dogs for sale. hope this helps.

Posted By: DanWestbrook

Re: squirrel dog??? - 10/22/10 08:05 PM

Hey this is Dan Westbrook. I raise and hunt Old Time Mountain Feist. All my pups are NKC Registered and I only breed to proven parents that hunt. I only have three pups left out of my last litter. They are out of my female Barger - top and bottom and SqCh TrCh Lynch's Ranger. Ranger is out of World Champion Oxford's Pedro.
Give me a call if interested or visit my website at
www.westbrookmountainfeist.com
(903) 876-3878 / (903) 721-9791

Posted By: JustinB

Re: squirrel dog??? - 10/28/10 06:06 AM

you should buy from someone who raises dogs that are proven tree dogs. i have a black mouth cur pup that i am training now. google for "ladner black mouth cur". that bloodline has been bred specifically to tree coons and squirrels for over a hundred years by the same family.
yes, also looks into feists as well. Dan Westbrook looks like a good man to talk to.

Posted By: NewGulf

Re: squirrel dog??? - 10/28/10 10:52 PM

there are lots of different dogs you can train........dont get stuck paying a lot of money for a dog just because its registered....that doesnt make it a better dog...not a knock on the guys here at all either... when its all said and done if youre not into it for the breeding those papers are worthless........

Posted By: Hopedale

Re: squirrel dog??? - 10/29/10 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: DanWestbrook
Hey this is Dan Westbrook. I raise and hunt Old Time Mountain Feist. All my pups are NKC Registered and I only breed to proven parents that hunt. I only have three pups left out of my last litter. They are out of my female Barger - top and bottom and SqCh TrCh Lynch's Ranger. Ranger is out of World Champion Oxford's Pedro.
Give me a call if interested or visit my website at
www.westbrookmountainfeist.com
(903) 876-3878 / (903) 721-9791

What type of termpermint does this dog have?

Posted By: Judd

Re: squirrel dog??? - 10/29/10 03:32 PM

My cousin had a squirrel dog and I hunted over it a few times when I was a kid. That was quite the experience. I loved that dog and whenever I went to visit that dog would follow me around everywhere because he knew I was going to take him out to the woods to hunt. It was wild how crazy that dog would get over a squirrel.

Good luck in your search and keep us posted on the development.

Posted By: DanWestbrook

Re: squirrel dog??? - 11/02/10 09:23 PM

Feist's are pretty even tempered. I used to own a Jack Russell and could not get a handle on him, too stubborn! Then I went to the feist and found them to be easier and quicker to train and not as nippy as the rat terrier. They hunt from site. My wife keeps two of them in the house and they pretty much house broke themselves. Good watch dog and they don't bite at your heels! Natural tree dog.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum