Texas Hunting Forum

Land/timber exemptions?

Posted By: luv2brode

Land/timber exemptions? - 03/19/23 04:00 PM

Ok as in my other post looking for property. Got to thinking about exemptions, lots of timber where I’m looking. Maybe some with timber exemptions can tell me about them, how they work, how often has to be filed.
I see people talking about filing for exemptions each year looks like timber is once if approved unless something changes?
If a property is already under exemption when purchased paperwork ask for info ref prior years, do you note currently exempted?

Lots of other questions the county forms don’t offer much help. Lol surprise

Happy to pm or text if ya can help
Thanks
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Land/timber exemptions? - 03/20/23 12:29 PM

No idea about timber but the exemption is an annual thing. I just sent mine in for this year. Since it’s annual, I doubt that you can assume that the other owners exemption, assuming he had one, would work. I would drop in on the County people and get their advice/thoughts, etc.

As I recall, I couldn’t go straight to wildlife but had to come from something else. Mine was grazing.
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: Land/timber exemptions? - 03/20/23 02:03 PM

Even if you had the same exemption as the previous owner,you will have to submit a new application/plan to county.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Land/timber exemptions? - 03/20/23 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by DUKFVR
Even if you had the same exemption as the previous owner,you will have to submit a new application/plan to county.

^^THIS^^
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Land/timber exemptions? - 03/20/23 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dalroo
Originally Posted by DUKFVR

^^THIS^^

THIS^^^^ and Timber in Cass county is until you cut it or change something like adding a house or barn. Then 1 acre is pulled out of the exemption.
And by cut it, I do not mean thinning. I mean clear cutting the property.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Land/timber exemptions? - 03/21/23 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Originally Posted by Dalroo
[quote=DUKFVR]Even if you had the same exemption as the previous owner,you will have to submit a new application/plan to county.

^^THIS^^

Same for us. When we purchased we filed the same paperwork as the previous owner for approval which included the timber plan he had, just copied and updated. Have not done anything since.

Most counties have an application/forms on their appraisal district website, but we called just to make sure we wouldn't be missing anything.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Land/timber exemptions? - 03/21/23 07:17 PM

Also check Beforehand /be sure specific county even accepts timber exemptions - not all of them in Texas do.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum