Texas Hunting Forum

Lease Hunting Process

Posted By: LSUHomer

Lease Hunting Process - 01/11/22 10:32 PM

What is your goto ways to find a new lease? half of the websites I look at are showing leases that were listed like 3 years ago and have not been updated to show as leased.

If you know of anything open...I am currently in deep east Texas on a timber company lease. We are looking for a lease for 5-7 guys. We have a budget of about $2200 per gun...open to hunting any part of the state.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Lease Hunting Process - 01/11/22 10:59 PM

there is no magic place to find a lease - takes lots of research, daily checking, and luck. Contact any other hunters you may know who are on a lease - usually there is some turn over each year on a lease so a buddy may be able to get you a spot.

the other suggestion is to be flexible - I see folks post all of the time who are looking for a lease but put all kinds of requirements on what they want.

good luck to you
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Lease Hunting Process - 01/11/22 11:09 PM

Go to places that cater to ranchers - feed stores, farm and ranch stores, meat markets and processors. Local VFD, PD/Sheriff etc. Keep your ears open - work, church, barbershop..... Heck my trainers son I find out is a guide and outfitter and know a bunch of owners in Texas.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Lease Hunting Process - 01/12/22 12:03 AM

When in the leasing mode, no time to be shy or bashful, the non squeaky wheel will get no oil. Look for flyers posted at feed stores, Chamber of Commerce, Co-Op, gun stores, sporting goods, hunting stores, really any and all places. Check classified ads, talk up to the locals your desire to lease available land in area; be nice and courteous, but be vocal and interested. I've be offered stuff by locals, ranch owners and other hunters simply by conversing and talking hunting even when I was not looking per se. Local Walmart's hunting dept.'s are great places to strike up friendly conversations, trust me on that. Shooting ranges are good places too. Being shy and reserved will get you nowhere fast.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Lease Hunting Process - 01/12/22 12:06 AM

You are basically being interviewed when you discuss hunting and leasing; often with just a few minutes to make a favorable impression on him/her.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Lease Hunting Process - 01/12/22 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by DQ Kid
You are basically being interviewed when you discuss hunting and leasing; often with just a few minutes to make a favorable impression on him/her.

^^^Very true. I have “interviewed” MANY prospective new lease members for my lease through the years and very often they dont understand the decision is not just theirs to make. I suggest if you treat it like a job search you will be more successful.
Leasehunter.com is the best website, but just one tool in the toolbox. Good luck.
Posted By: Brother Phil

Re: Lease Hunting Process - 01/12/22 02:40 AM

For the owner, it is a business decision. Find out what the lease cost, and be able to pay. Figure out before you look at something how to do this. If something does not feel right, walk away. If you say something like "I have to think this over," it is taken as a "no." I have managed a lease for 5 years. When I was given a tour by the owner, I was asked if I wanted it, or not. His cell phone was on fire with other hunter who wanted to view the lease. I cut him a check, and things have worked out. I also viewed the property ASAP after finding out about it. Don't get ripped off, don't pay for something you don't want, but realize money talks. That's how it is done.
Posted By: LSUHomer

Re: Lease Hunting Process - 01/12/22 08:36 PM

Thanks for the info everyone. Will take it all into consideration. Ultimately, we are open to anything as long as it has animals on it smile
Posted By: Lifted 09

Re: Lease Hunting Process - 01/12/22 09:32 PM

Dont overlook the chamber of commerce .... not necessarily for the particular ranch that could be listed but for relationship purposes.
Just my .02
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum