Texas Hunting Forum

Land Purchase - Ag Exemption Transfer?

Posted By: Toxarch

Land Purchase - Ag Exemption Transfer? - 09/10/21 04:17 PM

Just purchased a ranch and it currently has a cattle lease and an existing Ag exemption. Is there any way to have that existing exemption transferred over to me or do I have to wait to apply for next year?
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Land Purchase - Ag Exemption Transfer? - 09/10/21 04:34 PM

Does Texas ag exemption transfer to new owner?
Now, when you purchase a property that is under an ag valuation, you'll have to maintain that valuation. (if it has cattle on it, you have to keep cattle on it, if raising hay, you need to continue to raise hay. It doesn't automatically transfer for you. You have to apply for that valuation with the tax appraisal district. May 11, 2021
It requires a plan that has to be approved by the appraisal district. It's not hard, but it does take a little effort to apply
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Land Purchase - Ag Exemption Transfer? - 09/10/21 05:03 PM

Contact the county CAD, ask them what is necessary to keep the current 1d1 property tax valuation upon change in ownership.
Many counties have all info available online.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Land Purchase - Ag Exemption Transfer? - 09/12/21 12:09 AM

As far as the property taxes go, the Title company already collected that for the remainder of the year. Applying for the exemption for next year should not be a problem. I am just wondering if there is a way to get the current ag exemption under my name so that I can use it for feed, equipment, etc., right now.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Land Purchase - Ag Exemption Transfer? - 09/12/21 12:23 AM

You're wanting an exemption from sales tax. You have to go through the state for that.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Land Purchase - Ag Exemption Transfer? - 09/12/21 01:51 AM

Ag/timber sales tax exemption info —-> Tx comptroller
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Land Purchase - Ag Exemption Transfer? - 09/13/21 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Rustler

^^^^^This.......very easy and can be done on line. up
Posted By: Big_Country01

Re: Land Purchase - Ag Exemption Transfer? - 09/14/21 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Originally Posted by Rustler

^^^^^This.......very easy and can be done on line. up

Bingo, this is it for the sales tax. If you want to buy dyed diesel, you will need a separate application for that.

You will have to apply for the property tax exemption yourself for next year, the title company will not do that.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum