Texas Hunting Forum

Found a unicorn

Posted By: Williep

Found a unicorn - 08/21/21 01:16 AM

So about a month ago I put an ad in craigslist saying I was looking for a small lease for myself. Today I get a call from a guy from Houston that's visiting his dad who lives near by. Long story short the dad is too old to take care of the property these days and the son lives too far away to keep up with it. So basically he "hired" me to keep the grass shredded, the trees cut back, and clean up the pond area. While I'm doing that I can hunt and set up a camp! And he said if I do a good enough job we can keep the same arrangement for next year if I will maintain the property. So basically I get to hunt 825 south Texas acres all to myself for some sweat and blood. Old school lease!
Just driving around the property today I already saw a decent 6 point and a few doe running around with fawns. It's going to be a busy next few weeks getting it ready, but it's going to be awesome.

Already set up a feeder and a trail cam. Waiting for pics now.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Found a unicorn - 08/21/21 01:24 AM

Congratulations! 'Sounds amazing. Do right by the owners, carry a sidearm, just in case, be careful and safe...and...don't tell another living soul any more details about it. Good hunting to you!
Posted By: majekman

Re: Found a unicorn - 08/21/21 02:18 PM

Creek is right...you better go dark or someone will be offering big money to be the “caretaker” and you’ll be on the outside looking in
Posted By: Fltmedic

Re: Found a unicorn - 08/21/21 05:03 PM

Congrats that’s a great deal there!
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Found a unicorn - 08/21/21 07:15 PM

What luck. Enjoy it as long as it lasts!
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Found a unicorn - 08/21/21 08:29 PM

Good luck sir
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Found a unicorn - 08/21/21 09:07 PM

Sounds like a great deal! Good luck
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Found a unicorn - 08/22/21 05:14 AM

Happy for you. Stuff dreams are made of.
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Found a unicorn - 08/22/21 05:55 AM

That’s a great deal but just keep it to yourself.. I’ve done a few deals like this in the past and you would be surprised at so called friends going behind peoples back offering cash to take the situation away from them. Deer hunting makes people do stupid stuff,
Posted By: maximum

Re: Found a unicorn - 08/22/21 06:28 AM

JMHO- get whatever agreement you have in writing.
There'll be a relative come up after all the work is
done that says" well I always wanted to hunt pawpaw's
land, but I didn't think he would let me. . "

Or another relative that sees $$$$$ and how things
have shaped up after the hard work is done, and
figures out that there is money to be made.

Of course, nobody wanted to mess with it when
there was work to be done
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Found a unicorn - 08/22/21 05:48 PM

Yep, keep this place a secret. I also agree with having something in writing to protect you. A game warden or sheriffs deputy may give you a visit and this would really be helpful. Congratulations and hope it works out well for you, wow what a find.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Found a unicorn - 08/23/21 11:20 AM

Congratulations. Don't ask for a written agreement. As you described the deal, the owner set the terms, and if you're good with it, enjoy it as long as you can.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Found a unicorn - 08/23/21 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Congratulations. Don't ask for a written agreement. As you described the deal, the owner set the terms, and if you're good with it, enjoy it as long as you can.

Couldn't agree more, why bring any doubt into the landowner's mind by asking for something in writing; not like your paying money for a lease contract on this one...Let it ride for as long as this good deal will last...
Posted By: PMK

Re: Found a unicorn - 08/23/21 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by DQ Kid

Couldn't agree more, why bring any doubt into the landowner's mind by asking for something in writing; not like your paying money for a lease contract on this one...Let it ride for as long as this good deal will last...

agree, let me know if you need any help ...
Posted By: fredgus

Re: Found a unicorn - 08/23/21 07:02 PM

dont show any body pics especially the land owner he will think i didnt know i had deer like that and your out
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Found a unicorn - 08/23/21 09:38 PM

With the way some folks on here talk about Game Wardens, I would at least have them contact the GW and let them know who can hunt there. Otherwise it can get dicy really quick coming out late one evening with a legal deer and getting checked by the GW. I was not saying I wouldn't trust the land owner, just stoping trouble before it starts with law enforcement.
Posted By: JoshMan7347

Re: Found a unicorn - 08/24/21 03:02 PM

wow what a deal. . . lots of really really tough work but man would that be worth it! Need any help lol
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Found a unicorn - 08/24/21 04:24 PM

Well, I would have never posted the OP to start with. Silence is Golden in this type find.
Posted By: Old Smuggler

Re: Found a unicorn - 08/24/21 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Old Rabbit

With the way some folks on here talk about Game Wardens, I would at least have them contact the GW and let them know who can hunt there. Otherwise it can get dicy really quick coming out late one evening with a legal deer and getting checked by the GW. I was not saying I wouldn't trust the land owner, just stoping trouble before it starts with law enforcement.

Hunted some land up in Hawkin's for a few years. Handshake deal with a friend of my father that had some family land. All I got was a permission slip to hunt it in case the GW showed up.

Sounds like you have a great place to hunt.
Posted By: Cochise

Re: Found a unicorn - 08/26/21 02:21 PM

As others suggested - written permission will make your life a lot easier.

Just something from the land owner that says "I am Joe Bob the landowner. I have given Bob Joe permission to hunt in exchange of him being the caretaker of my land. My contact info is________, signed, Joe Bob"

Potentially could save some headaches.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Found a unicorn - 08/26/21 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Cochise
As others suggested - written permission will make your life a lot easier.

Just something from the land owner that says "I am Joe Bob the landowner. I have given Bob Joe permission to hunt in exchange of him being the caretaker of my land. My contact info is________, signed, Joe Bob"

Potentially could save some headaches.

This^^^^^^
If you have written permission no one will ever bother you. If you don't a GW will surely show up. Facts of life.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Found a unicorn - 08/26/21 06:26 PM

Sweet! i had a setup like that til the old man passed. i found my stuff at the gate.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum