Texas Hunting Forum

Question on exemptions

Posted By: huntindude

Question on exemptions - 06/25/21 03:03 PM

Can you have more than one on 90 acres? We cut hay on our 40, but an additional 50 has become available and would be almost impossible to hay. Could we have a cattle exemption if combined properties? The additional property already has an exemption to run cattle but the property for sale is 100 acres but only interested in 50. Thanks
Posted By: tr22johnson

Re: Question on exemptions - 06/25/21 04:10 PM

I would consult your CAD. Not sure about your location but mine in Young County has always been helpful in answering questions and at the end of the day-its their call.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Question on exemptions - 06/26/21 01:24 PM

I have done exactly that before. Cattle on part and hay on part. But it was just one AG exemption on the property.
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: Question on exemptions - 06/26/21 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. T.
I have done exactly that before. Cattle on part and hay on part. But it was just one AG exemption on the property.

This for us too.
Posted By: Sewer rat

Re: Question on exemptions - 06/27/21 01:40 AM

I’m pretty sure if you buy 50 out of the 100 they will be surveyed and broken into two separate tracts which will need separate filings with the appraisal district. Doesn’t matter if it adjoins your property. My house is on seven acres and I bought 15 acres and 5 acres that adjoin it. All three are separate listings with the appraisal district. My ranch is 330 acres that at one time was two 165s. I have the wildlife exemption on it and have to file two separate things with the appraisal district.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Question on exemptions - 06/29/21 11:12 AM

With a lot of $ involved, I would go ask the County tax office. These people have been known to interpret the law as they see fit.
Posted By: Big_Country01

Re: Question on exemptions - 06/30/21 03:21 PM

Each county is different, but you should be able to qualify for an ag exemption with a cattle lease. If its not possible to hay or graze, plant some bottomland trees on it and get a timber exemption for that portion.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum