Texas Hunting Forum

New to Hunting, Need Lease Guidance

Posted By: mikereiling5

New to Hunting, Need Lease Guidance - 01/14/19 02:48 AM

New to hunting(bass fisherman all my life), just got my .270 a month ago. Wondering what the process is to get on a nice lease or a newcomer lease? I understand most of Texas is not public and all that, so I will have to pay. What can I expect? How can I set myself up good for next fall or even something sooner for some pigs? With that being said, I have a dream of shooting a doe or buck this next rifle season for deer and would love to shoot a pig before that. Any direction helps. Keep in mind, I am relatively completely new to hunting besides growing up in bass fishing.
Thank you, Mike
Posted By: TakeMeLord

Re: New to Hunting, Need Lease Guidance - 01/14/19 03:25 AM

I would go on a $200 doe hunt or pig hunt just to get at least one experience. On a doe hunt (or management hunt) you will have a mentor. Some ranches still have doe or management hunts because of MLD status.

If you join a lease, you are usually assigned an area and on your own.
Posted By: mikereiling5

Re: New to Hunting, Need Lease Guidance - 01/14/19 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by TakeMeLord
I would go on a $200 doe hunt or pig hunt just to get at least one experience. On a doe hunt (or management hunt) you will have a mentor. Some ranches still have doe or management hunts because of MLD status.

If you join a lease, you are usually assigned an area and on your own.

1. Where would I find something like this?
2. what is MLD status?
Posted By: notamtchance

Re: New to Hunting, Need Lease Guidance - 01/14/19 05:58 AM

There is a posts in the guide section that is located just above this section (lands and leases). That is a great place to start looking.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum