Texas Hunting Forum

Outhouse Issues

Posted By: Dave Scott

Outhouse Issues - 12/16/18 09:05 PM

It seems the old hunting cabins of yesteryear are hard to come by. Are there any counties in Texas where you can just just up a 12' x 18' shack, generator for electric, bring in your water, and set up an out house. I might be going about it wrong but it seems now a days you have to pretty much put up a small house.
I want to get a small spot of land, set up a dwelling, like a 12 x 18 concrete block, flat roof, and use an electric generator for power, bring in water, use an outhouse (or even chemical toilet.
Thanks for steering in in a right direction.
Posted By: don k

Re: Outhouse Issues - 12/16/18 09:15 PM

I may be wrong but I would think you could do that just about anywhere that is incorporated
Posted By: Erny

Re: Outhouse Issues - 12/16/18 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by don k
I may be wrong but I would think you could do that just about anywhere that is incorporated

I have the same understanding. But I think if you are hooked up to a public water supply you have to have a septic system.
Posted By: nate33

Re: Outhouse Issues - 12/17/18 01:54 AM

What is stopping you ?
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Outhouse Issues - 12/17/18 10:21 AM

I would just do it but get it away from the house and kinda secluded. It's not always legal. I had one years ago. A guy from the County came by for some reason and mentioned my "deer stand". I told him it was my out house. He told me that they were not legal in that County and to keep my mouth shut about it. I won't say what County.
Posted By: don k

Re: Outhouse Issues - 12/17/18 03:09 PM

I meant to say that is not incorporated.
Posted By: Chris Burton

Re: Outhouse Issues - 12/19/18 03:34 AM

I have a very nice built outhouse for sale.
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Outhouse Issues - 12/26/18 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Erny

I have the same understanding. But I think if you are hooked up to a public water supply you have to have a septic system.

this is not true,

if you put in a septic system , you have to notify the state, they will do soil test before approving such dig and install

that's what I had to do on my land and I dug my own wells
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Outhouse Issues - 12/26/18 03:38 PM

If you dig a big hole and put your outhouse on top you're good to go
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Outhouse Issues - 12/31/18 09:27 PM

Dave many unincorporated rural counties do not have building codes nor enforcement personnel. Using common sense you have great latitude on accomplishing your objective, I would inquire with folks in your county government as to the existence of codes. depending on where you are you will probably find you have great flexibility. Speaking from experience I was able to achieve all that you are considering without having to deal with unnecessary complications.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum