Texas Hunting Forum

New to hunting - Public land questions

Posted By: klx677

New to hunting - Public land questions - 11/17/11 04:37 PM

I went hunting last week for the first time and loved it. I was hunting with relatives who own property in Missouri and took my first deer so now I'm hooked. With that said, I'm interested in hunting public land in Texas. I've read the rules and understand where to go but I have questions about what to do when I get there and was hoping to get a little help...
Do you have to check in somewhere or get a reservation if you plan to camp?
I'm assuming you can't go rolling around in an ATV, but is it safe to go wondering around on foot during deer season while scouting for hunting locations...even while wearing orange? I don't want to be downrange when someone starts shooting.
I'm aware that you can't build a stand, so do you carry one in and shimmy up a tree?
How do you know your position relative to others so you aren't shooting toward someone?
Is is a bad idea to use a ground blind if you don't want to hunt from a portable tree stand? this seems a little more dangerous when bullets are flying around.
If you take a deer, do you gut it there in the woods and then carry it out? is there a place at the camp to hang, quarter, and discard the carcass?
Any other basic procedures for public land hunting?

Thanks very much for the help!!

Posted By: redfred

Re: New to hunting - Public land questions - 11/17/11 05:43 PM

The rules vary by site. When you get your Public Hunting Lands license, you get a map booklet showing the locations and the rules for each. This is just my second year for a Public license, but I enjoy it. I got it mostly for dove hunting, and I like the fact that for $48, you can have access to dozens of places to hunt. There are a lot of ranches that charge you $50-75 per day, and I'm sorry, but a day's limit of doves just isn't worth $50 to me.
Of course, there are downsides to public hunting. There are usually several people you don't know on the land at the same time, and that can make you nervous. With dove hunting it's less of a problem because shotgun pellets travel a lot less than rifle bullets. It can be pretty crowded, especially on opening day and most weekends, but if you can get away during the week, it's not so bad.
Most public lands have a rule against any tree stand that damages the bark of the trees, so when I deer hunt, I take a portable ground blind. I have a square one that's big enough for me and my gear, and really comfortable if it starts raining or snowing. I have been thinking about getting a ladder stand that I could carry in and out of the property, but I kind of like the pop-up.
Some of the public hunting sites are in National Forests or Grasslands, and they have camping close by. Others are leased private land, and there may be no facilities at all.
As far as checking in goes, on the sites where I've been dove hunting, you have to fill out a form (in the back of the map booklet) and leave it at the parking area. Some of the deer hunting sites require registration, and I went to one that said if you were planning to bowhunt, you had to prove your proficiency before you got your permit.
As far as dressing, etc, the rules also vary by location. The best bet is to by your PHL license, find the places you want to go, and contact the site directly.
Good luck, happy hunting, and welcome to the Forum!

By the way, add your city to your profile, and you might be able to get info on sites local to you. It'll also be easier if you want to start trading, because most people want to face-to-face deals.

Posted By: Erathkid

Re: New to hunting - Public land questions - 11/20/11 01:50 AM

Great advice Redfred.

Posted By: Jerimy

Re: New to hunting - Public land questions - 11/20/11 03:58 AM

I hunt public property around Davey Crockett, I would not recomend walking around untill about 11-2 yes wear orange. Invest in a deer dolly and a good climbing stand with a comfortable harness. Summit makes really good stands and you can sit in them all day if you want. There are good deer on these places you just have to get out there and find them.

Posted By: klx677

Re: New to hunting - Public land questions - 11/21/11 04:04 PM

Thanks very much for the great advice. I'm planning to do some scouting around this week while I have some time so I can figure out what type of blind or tree stand I would want to use. I can see where a climbing tree stand would be pretty handy in Crockett where they have tall pines, but not so much in areas where its mostly cedar and oak.
Thanks again!

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum