Texas Hunting Forum

purchase land @ campwood/leakey Tx.

Posted By: sillyhorses

purchase land @ campwood/leakey Tx. - 09/22/11 04:29 PM

I am looking at hunting land around campwood/leakey Tx. Anyone with insight about best areas with most exotics? Small tracts of land o.k?

Posted By: Nativetex

Re: purchase land @ campwood/leakey Tx. - 09/22/11 08:41 PM

Anywhere in between is good. I would look for more flat land rather than deep canyons for exotics. Had a buddy who had about 30 acres in that same area. We would sit on his back patio and watch 15 - 30 axis come into his land for the corn feeder. Some of them were REAL nice bucks. We own 18 acres right outside of Leakey along the river and I have taken several silver class axis there. The axis are always there.

It is all about location, location, location......

Re: purchase land @ campwood/leakey Tx. - 09/22/11 09:12 PM

BTW, back in June, we went by his place and it was for sale. About halfway between Leakey and Campwood, coming from Leakey, it is a caliche road (named) on the right hand side. Turn right and go about 1/2 mile. It was on the right. Don't remember the name of the road, but there are not that many of them. Good Luck!

Re: purchase land @ campwood/leakey Tx. - 09/22/11 09:23 PM

I just googled it and the road is Pinon Loop E.

Posted By: jpd

Re: purchase land @ campwood/leakey Tx. - 09/22/11 09:46 PM

I use to hunt on 2200 acres in that area. In Barksdale turn east on dry creek rd. About 8 mile down that road was our place. Lots Axis,white tail, hogs and Auldads. We started seeing follow and sika. Rough terrain. Love that area

Re: purchase land @ campwood/leakey Tx. - 09/22/11 11:18 PM

I'm looking at 20 acres 6 miles north of Leakey (Ranch Springs road). So anywheres in the area, just get a feeder going and be close to water? Do the axis get ALOT of hunting pressure being so many small15 to 20 acre tracts of land?

Re: purchase land @ campwood/leakey Tx. - 09/22/11 11:35 PM

I see it as well. Pinion Rd.. There is a 15 acre parcel there listed right now.

Posted By: thegrouse

Re: purchase land @ campwood/leakey Tx. - 09/23/11 12:48 AM

I have seen a ton of axis right there near Camp Wood hills and there are houses everywhere. This is along the Nueces River.

Posted By: tannerlst

Re: purchase land @ campwood/leakey Tx. - 09/23/11 01:19 AM

i hunt off pinion loop... there are definately some axis back in there, and plenty of other critters, they kinda like the more openish areas with flat terrain up there, and some like to hide down in the bottoms. haven't seen any up in the really rocky mountainous parts in that area though i hunt way way in the back of it....

but there are tons of axis between leakey and campwood... tons... seen herds of 50 or more during the day in open fields

Posted By: goodgolly3811

Re: purchase land @ campwood/leakey Tx. - 09/23/11 03:18 AM

Anyone know of any leases available in that area. I have been looking, but no luck so far. Thanks

Posted By: tannerlst

Re: purchase land @ campwood/leakey Tx. - 09/23/11 04:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Nativetex
I just googled it and the road is Pinon Loop E.
its actually rim rock rd off the main road

Posted By: Erathkid

Re: purchase land @ campwood/leakey Tx. - 09/26/11 04:26 PM

We own a mall place at spring country north of Leakey,lots of different animals.I would agree that the better Axis hunting is going to be near water on the less hilly terrain.Aoudad and Whitetails and hogs are up in the rough stuff.I've seen groups of Axis as large as 30-40 head.Beautiful place,it's just been very dry and the frio is just about dried up.

Re: purchase land @ campwood/leakey Tx. - 09/26/11 05:06 PM

Hi Erathkid! I would enjoy talking to you directly about the spring ranch area. I am serious about buying land here, just need more info. 507-250-3686. name is Louis

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum