Texas Hunting Forum

MLD Hunts

Posted By: roadkill54

MLD Hunts - 08/24/20 04:38 AM

We have 4 HF ranches becoming available for a few hunts this year. This is a first in a long time. Three are in the Pearsall area and one is in Sonora. I have been on all these ranches guiding customers for the last decade or hunting myself. The facilities are nice and specific to each ranch. A hunt typically starts with the afternoon hunt, hunt the next two days and conclude on the morning of the third day. (Ex.Arrive Monday after lunch-hunt evening, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday morning/depart). Each hunter will have his own guide. Their job is to get you your targeted deer. Then have some some fun. These deer are wild-not pen raised. These ranches may be HF however they are big acreage. I will be happy to provide pictures/pricing if your serious. Management deer up into the 70's maybe an 80s are available. They're still finishing out as I type this. These are wild deer on protein, oats during the winter and heavily managed. Its what mother nature provides us.
Dates open currently
October 22-25 Sonora (max of 2)
November 9-15 Pearsall ranches
December 9-13 Pearsall ranches
Other dates are available, I know that if you have a small group it would work well in one of these windows. The ranch WILL not hunt more than four hunters per hunt and typically will change ranches for the next hunt to keep the pressure off the animals. My customers have harvested some tremendous trophies over the years which I am very proud to have been a part of!
If your seriously interested please send me a PM with your phone number. I will be happy to call you and text you some pictures of the deer we have taken over the years.
Posted By: svbubba

Re: MLD Hunts - 08/24/20 06:25 AM

tagged...
Posted By: mustang coach

Re: MLD Hunts - 08/24/20 02:51 PM

Sent a PM

Re: MLD Hunts - 08/25/20 02:27 AM

Mustang Response sent......

Re: MLD Hunts - 09/15/20 02:51 PM

Update-the October hunt is committed. Since there has been a lot of interest I will open up another hunt window during the week of January 11th on my Junction/Sonora ranch. Please PM for details.

Re: MLD Hunts - 10/08/20 03:11 PM

The big deer are starting to move on the South Texas ranches. If you like watching animals and harvesting a great trophy please send a PM. The ranches have some hunts available.
Posted By: ErikL

Re: MLD Hunts - 10/08/20 03:54 PM

pm sent
Posted By: jphunts6165

Re: MLD Hunts - 10/11/20 02:31 AM

You won’t be disappointed, honesty is hard to come by. This man is. I was scared to death when I booked last year as I had never booked this kind of hunt before. Everything is as advertised. Understate and over delivered. I am returning to hunt this year with him. If your looking or interested go ahead and give him a shout.
Posted By: Clark8907

Re: MLD Hunts - 10/11/20 05:40 PM

What is the price for one of these management deer in the 160s-170s?

Re: MLD Hunts - 10/16/20 04:34 AM

Clark, PM sent in response to your questions.

Re: MLD Hunts - 10/18/20 03:28 AM

All PMs answered. We've had several oil companies pass on their hunts due to the oil price downturn this year thus opening up some additional dates on the STX ranches. I have hundreds of pictures of great happy hunters/deer. If your interested in a quality hunt on really good ranches please contact me.

Start of the rut week has opened up also.....(Dec 7th-) We have harvested some whoppers this week in the past....... Couples, friends work really well...
It's a great week to be in STX! or WTX!
Send me a PM. I'm happy to call and talk, text pictures and dates.
Also the bucks have finished out great! All the ranches finished up with great bucks and a number of top end bucks. This is intensive, native management at its best!

Thank you JP for the kind words! Looking forward to next week and having one heck of a good time.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: MLD Hunts - 10/19/20 02:28 PM

Please PM me prices also for a 150-170 deer. Looking for two spots, one for me and one for my wife.
Posted By: b weezy

Re: MLD Hunts - 10/19/20 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Please PM me prices also for a 150-170 deer. Looking for two spots, one for me and one for my wife.

X2 please

Re: MLD Hunts - 10/20/20 04:55 AM

All PMs answered. Thanks for the questions!

Re: MLD Hunts - 10/29/20 10:28 PM

We had a very successful hunt on the Sonora ranch this week. Enclosed is a picture of the trophy that we harvested.

Attached picture IMG_2448.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2443.JPG

Re: MLD Hunts - 10/30/20 11:00 PM

I've added a few pictures from deer off the South Texas ranches from recent past years. All native intensively managed. I expect a number of good deer will begin to hit the ground in the next few weeks..... If your interested please send me a PM. I would be glad to talk with you about a potential hunt. The deer in the pictures were all harvested by customers of mine in the last couple of years.

Attached picture IMG_0051.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0082.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0192.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0815.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0822.jpg
Posted By: TakeMeLord

Re: MLD Hunts - 10/31/20 07:15 PM

tag

Re: MLD Hunts - 10/31/20 09:18 PM

A few more pictures from the ranches in South Texas including one old buck that managed to elude us.....

Attached picture IMG_1605.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1611.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2004.jpg

Re: MLD Hunts - 10/31/20 09:27 PM

I also have a bunch of axis on my Junction ranch if anyone is interested. I'll give you fair warning - they are extremely wild......

Attached picture IMG_2319.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2323.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2379.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2382.jpg

Re: MLD Hunts - 11/01/20 05:31 AM

pm re: axis sent

Re: MLD Hunts - 11/01/20 01:47 PM

All PMs answered. Thank you.

Re: MLD Hunts - 11/02/20 08:32 PM

One pic on the 55 gallon drum while roadkill is scoring it.

[Linked Image]

Re: MLD Hunts - 11/16/20 08:42 PM

We just completed a couple of hunts on the ranches in South Texas. Even with the ridiculously warm temperatures our guides got it done. Four hunters - four trophies!

I'll also mention we harvested a deer three weeks ago that scored 252 and change. We've been watching him for three years. I'll post a few pictures when I get them. Again I'll stress these are native genes and not pen raised. We work very hard at our management practices to grow these bucks. If your interested in a hunt please contact me.
Thanks

Attached picture picture.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2654.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2651.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2606.jpg

Re: MLD Hunts - 11/16/20 09:08 PM

Below is a picture of a deer we have been watching and protecting for three years letting him "grow up" and get old enough to hunt and harvest. I think its a testament to the type of management program we have on our ranches. Of course not all the deer posses the capacity to grow to this size however we do have a wide array of native deer across all the ranches. Small groups (1-3, 1-4) work well. The above two groups were two hunts with two hunters. We hunted two different BIG ranches. Lots of acres ......... Anyway we have lots of deer that still need to be hunted. If your interested please contact me!
Thanks

Attached picture Francis Shiner Monster.jpg

Re: MLD Hunts - 11/17/20 04:03 PM

All PMs responded too. Thank you!

Re: MLD Hunts - 11/23/20 12:39 AM

A couple of more hunters are very happy this week. They scored on a couple of very nice bucks! Even thought the weather is not cooperating yet we still have managed to find some really good deer. If it ever does cool off I expect some new faces to begin to show up....

Attached picture IMG_5420.jpg
Attached picture IMG_5429.jpg

Re: MLD Hunts - 11/23/20 04:05 AM

nice old bucks!

Re: MLD Hunts - 11/23/20 04:13 AM

pm sent

Re: MLD Hunts - 11/24/20 12:39 AM

All Pms responded too!
Thank you for the inquiry.
Posted By: Halfmann

Re: MLD Hunts - 11/24/20 03:41 AM

PM sent.

Re: MLD Hunts - 11/24/20 04:42 PM

PM responded too.
Thank you.

Re: MLD Hunts - 11/24/20 06:52 PM

I have one/two more management type deer I'd like to remove from my family ranch in the Junction area the week of January 11th if there is any interest? Please send me a PM for details.......

Re: MLD Hunts - 12/01/20 09:16 PM

Another big buck hit the ground yesterday afternoon. Our hunter made a great shot....
Will post a picture when it comes in......

We may have an opening developing for December 11-14 (Rut should be on). Bucks are showing some serious attitude. PM if serious....

Re: MLD Hunts - 12/03/20 02:01 AM

Several more quality bucks hit the dirt this week so far. With the cooler weather the bigger bucks are starting to prowl and stick their noses into the wind! That put these two in harms way!

Attached picture image.jpg
Attached picture deer1.jpg

Re: MLD Hunts - 12/03/20 02:05 AM

All PMs responded too.
Thank you.
Posted By: Madbomber

Re: MLD Hunts - 12/04/20 06:30 PM

pm sent

Re: MLD Hunts - 12/06/20 02:27 AM

All PMs responded too.
Thank you.

Re: MLD Hunts - 12/12/20 01:05 AM

We just completed another week of hunts. Some great deer ate some red dirt. I'll be posting pic's in the next day or so. The rut is on! We experienced two knockout, knockdown fights - vicious is a better description of what we watched. Check back for pic's when I get them uploaded!

All PMs responded too!
Thank you!

Re: MLD Hunts - 12/12/20 05:09 AM

Below are the pictures of the deer we harvested this week. They ranged in score from 153 to 179. It was a tough week of hunting due to the rut kicking in and the bucks patterns changing. The guides did a great job figuring out where these bucks moved to and helped their hunters make great shots....... There's still time in January to make a hunt and I have a management hunt available in Junction during the week of January 11th.

Attached picture IMG_5614.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_5581.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_5639.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_2751.jpg
Attached picture IMG_5611.jpeg

Re: MLD Hunts - 12/12/20 06:02 PM

Couple of bucks on one of the ranches....... The big boy in back knows the game is up! The one in front is still thinking what the ......

Attached picture IMG_2765.jpg

Re: MLD Hunts - 12/14/20 05:34 PM

PMs responded too.
Thanks!
Posted By: RodneyEarl

Re: MLD Hunts - 12/15/20 04:03 PM

Would like to hear what you have in mined

Re: MLD Hunts - 12/16/20 03:08 AM

RodneyEarl- Please check your PM. Thanks

Re: MLD Hunts - 12/23/20 12:26 AM

We just completed another very successful hunt and have two very happy hunters! They harvested two great deer one of which ( A big 8) just materialized the evening before. We had not seen this deer this year. We were able to get into position to harvest this magnificent trophy! The rancher decided today to offer a few more hunts based on the number of big deer that have shown up in the last ten days as the rut has kicked into high gear and more bucks are showing themselves as the rut heats up! If you have an interest please send me a PM.

Attached picture IMG_2794.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2793.jpg
Posted By: 12thman

Re: MLD Hunts - 12/23/20 12:42 AM

PM sent

Re: MLD Hunts - 12/23/20 03:10 AM

All PMs just responded too!
Thanks
Posted By: Chris Burton

Re: MLD Hunts - 12/23/20 02:14 PM

PM sent

Re: MLD Hunts - 12/23/20 04:05 PM

All PMs responded too.
Thank you.
Posted By: Longtine

Re: MLD Hunts - 12/23/20 04:22 PM

PM me. We are in if the dates work

Re: MLD Hunts - 12/23/20 07:11 PM

All PMs responded too.
Thanks
Posted By: Chris86

Re: MLD Hunts - 12/24/20 01:55 AM

Guys I just got back from there and you will not be disappointed. It is a top notch operation from start to finish.

Re: MLD Hunts - 12/24/20 03:41 AM

Thank you Chris. We did have a good time.

All PMs responded too.
Thank you!

Re: MLD Hunts - 12/31/20 09:59 PM

I found this 3 yr old on the last hunt we did. I think he's going to turn into something really special in another couple of years. He's a mainframe twelve!!!

Attached picture IMG_2775.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2834.png

Re: MLD Hunts - 01/03/21 11:39 PM

It's not very often you get to hunt in the snow in Texas! During the last winter storm a couple of the kids put these culls on the ground during the morning sit minutes apart. It was a great day to be at the ranch!

Attached picture IMG_2837.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2838.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2836.jpg
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: MLD Hunts - 01/04/21 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by roadkill54
It's not very often you get to hunt in the snow in Texas! During the last winter storm a couple of the kids put these culls on the ground during the morning sit minutes apart. It was a great day to be at the ranch!

Nice

Re: MLD Hunts - 01/09/21 11:02 PM

I thought I would post a few of the bucks that get a pass till next year. In the last 10 days they have really started to fight and break up. The second/third cycle has definitely kicked in and the boys are out trolling. Anyway we gave these guys a hall pass to see if they make another jump.....

I hadn't mentioned anything about turkey hunts yet.....I'll be posting some information about available hunts in the near future. Stay tuned!

Also a large number of our mature bulls are now out 1-2' and starting to show some definitive character. It should be interesting the next couple of months watching them finish out. I only plan to do a couple of Axis hunts. If you have an interest please send me a PM.
Thanks

Attached picture IMG_2394.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2560.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2545.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2265.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2384.jpg

Re: MLD Hunts - 01/10/21 01:29 PM

I thought I would post a few of the bucks that get a pass till next year. In the last 10 days they have really started to fight and break up. The second/third cycle has definitely kicked in and the boys are out trolling. Anyway we gave these guys a hall pass to see if they make another jump.....

I hadn't mentioned anything about turkey hunts yet.....I'll be posting some information about available hunts in the near future. Stay tuned!

Also a large number of our mature bulls are now out 1-2' and starting to show some definitive character. It should be interesting the next couple of months watching them finish out. I only plan to do a couple of Axis hunts. If you have an interest please send me a PM.
Thanks

Nice ones

Re: MLD Hunts - 02/01/21 07:47 PM

Turkey Hunts

The Pearsall Ranches are booked.

We've got 2 ranches 15 miles North of Mathis that are loaded with birds! If your interested in a DiY type hunt please contact me. Each ranch has a house with facilities that can be used during the hunt. One ranch is 3000 acres the other 500 acres -again there are a bunch of birds.......
Please send a PM.
Thanks

Re: MLD Hunts - 02/19/21 01:15 AM

I've been debating whether to share with the THF community and decided I would to hopefully educate any doubters how cruel mother nature can be at times. One of my big deer that I've watched since he was born- which by the way carried a spindly 7 point rack his first year got into an altercation in early December with another up and comer young buck. This big deer was a 7 year old just past his prime and unfortunately for him willing to fight whoever else had as much attitude as him. After his initial fight it was obvious he was hurt. He could not pick his head up. He had swelling on the upper right side of his neck and he had three puncture wounds on his left side. I was obviously concerned however he was eating corn and seemed to be managing. I saw him again Christmas week and he had lost some additional weight but was still limping around. Fast forward to January 10th we were putting cottonseed out and drove up on him standing in one of our small lakes. It was immediately obvious he was in extreme duress. He was standing in the edge of the water up to his knees. Mouth was in the water-I couldn't tell if he was drinking or eating pond weed however it was obvious something was very wrong. We walked up behind him (25 feet or so) and he never moved. We stood there watching him for 15 minutes. He started twitching his tail like deer do when their agitated or hurt. We backed off to the truck and just watched. He labored to get out of the water and walked about 20 yards and stopped and just stood there with his head hanging nose to the ground. After about 15 minutes he took 4 or 5 steps and fell to his knees. He forced himself to get back up and he wobbled over to the brush line and bedded down. His head immediately sank to the ground. We watched a few minutes and then walked over in full view of him and he was so weak he couldn't/wouldn't pick his head up. He was going in and out of consciousness. It became very clear that I needed to end the suffering of this magnificent animal that I had watched grow up since he was a baby. I estimated his October live weight easily over 200lbs. His Postmortem weight was 98 lbs. Upon our investigation he had 3 dislocated vertebrae thus his inability to raise his head. We also found a puncture infection behind the right ear and the three puncture wounds in his side had caused gangrene to set in and destroy the side of his stomach that had been punctured. Obviously I have a soft spot for whitetails....... I am amazed at how cruel nature can be! Enclosed are some pictures of before and after.... I'll close this story with - it was a very sad day for me personally because of my history with this buck however I'm glad I was able to end his suffering.

Attached picture IMG_2322.jpg
Attached picture IMG_5909.JPG
Attached picture IMG_7680.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2862.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2865.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2866.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2860-1.jpg
Posted By: joedav31

Re: MLD Hunts - 02/19/21 02:43 AM

Wow. That’s sucks roadkill. Hate that for you. Mother Nature is tough for sure.

Re: MLD Hunts - 03/21/21 03:56 AM

Axis update-
We came through the winter storm in great shape. We put out extra feed a couple of days before the storm hit and the animals did just fine. While we have been doing pipe repairs at camp over the last two weeks we have been walking a bunch picking up fresh sheds. One of the bulls I had been watching last year carried great point length and mass. The last time I saw him was around Thanksgiving. I didn't think a lot about it at the time as some of the bigger mature bulls were starting to drop. Anyway during one of our walks this past week we found him. He apparently got stuck by another bull fighting last fall and died. We've lost several bulls in recent years from fighting-the common denominator being its always the big bulls that get hurt. Anyway, below is a picture of his skull.

I will be doing a couple of Axis hunts in a few months if interested. Right now its so green their not coming to corn, protein, cottonseed or alfalfa at the moment. When it starts to dry out that will all change...

Attached picture IMG_2992.jpg

Re: MLD Hunts - 03/21/21 04:01 PM

Dang that’s terrible

Re: MLD Hunts - 03/21/21 05:08 PM

Pm sent.

Re: MLD Hunts - 03/21/21 05:28 PM

Erik-PM answered.

Re: MLD Hunts - 03/30/21 09:03 PM

A few management deer that slipped through the cracks last hunting season. Hopefully we do a better job of getting a pattern on these guys this fall....

Attached picture IMG_2841.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2847.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2903.jpg

Re: MLD Hunts - 04/04/21 11:23 PM

Two years ago a up and coming two year old went missing. He was already a ghost at two years of age as I only got two trail camera photo's of him and my son actually got his eyes on him in late January of that year. We had high hopes for him and then he became invisible. I didn't think a whole lot about it since we have a number of bucks that are ghosts. Little daytime activity, they avoid the cameras like the plague and we may go a whole year without a visual. He didn't show the next year or this past season so I've been wondering if his rack changed drastically and I didn't recognize him or something happened to him. Last week the boys were walking an area looking for a specific bucks sheds and found him. I surmise he got into it with another buck over a doe fawn coming in season late. This is one of the risks we run on our ranches since we keep our ratios so tight. Very disappointing but at least we have an ending to the story and we know that our quality program is moving in the right direction.

Attached picture IMG_3013.jpg

Re: MLD Hunts - 04/22/21 01:08 AM

I get to bring closure to the story I told earlier in this thread of the big deer I had to put down from fighting this winter. A couple of the kids had him mounted for the ranch. He turned out fantastic. As I commented in the story about my history with this particular buck I take so lance in knowing that his genes have been spread through the herd over the years. I look forward to watching his offspring grow up in the future!

Attached picture IMG_3082.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3085.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3086.jpg

Re: MLD Hunts - 04/22/21 01:37 PM

I get to bring closure to the story I told earlier in this thread of the big deer I had to put down from fighting this winter. A couple of the kids had him mounted for the ranch. He turned out fantastic. As I commented in the story about my history with this particular buck I take so lance in knowing that his genes have been spread through the herd over the years. I look forward to watching his offspring grow up in the future!

That’s a great end to the story
Posted By: 1955

Re: MLD Hunts - 04/22/21 06:31 PM

👍

Re: MLD Hunts - 04/26/21 12:29 AM

Much better to remember him like that. Hard to fathom what he looked like just prior to injury to a short time later. “A”

Re: MLD Hunts - 04/26/21 03:10 PM

JP- It will be interesting to see what the middle aged bucks do in the next couple of years....Once they get the skeletal growth out of the way and put it to the antler growth - look out!

Re: MLD Hunts - 05/20/21 03:21 AM

Many of you have followed this thread since it started from the beginning. We've got the three ranches around Pearsall and my ranch west of Junction. The Pearsall ranches were lightly hunted and have a solid carryover of good bucks for this fall due to the long term management plan but also due to the impact of Covid. We had fewer deer harvested which means we've got more to take off/choose from this year. We've started booking hunts. If your interested take a few minutes to look back through this thread to look at the quality of bucks that have been harvested in recent years. A couple of the THF guys hunted with me last fall and had a very successful hunt down south.

Another friend on this forum hunted with me out west and harvested an exceptional mature buck on my family ranch. It took 7 years and a lot of nutrition to get that deer to the size he grew into but its possible if you let them get some age and pour the groceries to them. Anyway, I will do one maybe 2 hunts on my ranch. I also have Axis as an additional bonus if that's of interest.

As a reminder there are lots of pictures in the preceding posts. As the bucks get a little further developed I will begin to post some developmental photo's for fun......

If your interested in a hunt please send me a PM or if you already have my number don't wait to book as some dates are filling since a lot of people have gotten their shots........

Re: MLD Hunts - 05/28/21 05:33 AM

As an added commitment to our hunting guests all of the ranch guides, cooks and support staff will be vaccinated by the time the 2021 season begins. We want to make sure our team has done our part to make sure guests feel comfortable while they spend time at the ranch chasing that deer they have been thinking about for the last 12 months and not have any other distractions in the way!

Send me a PM to set your hunt up today!

Re: MLD Hunts - 06/09/21 10:35 PM

Well......the boys are starting to show! We've been fixing flood gaps on all the ranches during the last two weeks. Over 9" inches out west to over 15" down south. So much rain that the deer have turned off the protein because of the availability of native browse! That translates into there's going to be some bruiser bucks on all the ranches this year....

Every year is good because of the management practices however this year will be exceptional because .....

1)We carried over extra bucks from last year
2)A number of our larger bucks broke up thus getting a hall pass for another year
3)We've already had our annual rainfall in the growing season

These three factors mean this will be an exceptional year antler wise!

Some early growth photo's.....

Attached picture IMG_3214.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3219.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3220.jpg

Re: MLD Hunts - 06/23/21 10:31 PM

I have an update on the Pearsall ranches. We just concluded a ranch meeting and the week of November 8th through the 14th is available. We typically conduct two hunts , the first starting Monday afternoon and the second starting Thursday afternoon. In past years we have hunted this week with customers and harvested some magnificent bucks. Bucks are still in bachelor groups and in more patternable groups then in a few weeks when it gets closer to the rut. They also typically are not broken up yet from fighting. We can easily handle up to four hunters per hunt.

As I mentioned in the above post we have a lot of solid bucks that we carried over from last year. The earlier you hunt the more deer you will see......
If you've got a friend or want to bring your kids the guides are really good. I brought my customers here for 9 years before I retired...

Send me a PM I'm happy to discuss details or I'm happy to call you!
Posted By: ElkOne

Re: MLD Hunts - 06/24/21 06:35 PM

Sent you a PM

Re: MLD Hunts - 06/28/21 09:51 PM

Elk One,
I have responded. Just got back from one of the ranches putting out feed. Fawns are hitting the ground!
Thanks

Re: MLD Hunts - 06/30/21 10:03 PM

The bucks are starting to show some bone. If you want to experience a quality hunt we have some availability in November. We carried over a lot of good deer from last year..... We have some really good native genetics! Send me a PM and lets talk!

Attached picture IMG_3250.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3251.jpg

Re: MLD Hunts - 07/12/21 11:48 PM

For you Axis lovers they sure love eating at night!

Attached picture IMG_3209.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3210.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3211.jpg

Re: MLD Hunts - 07/14/21 10:11 PM

A couple of more Axis bulls to look at. Its finally starting to dry out and they are almost becoming visible during daylight hours. If your interested in a hunt send me a PM. I have some very nice bulls......

Attached picture IMG_3252.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3238.jpg

Re: MLD Hunts - 07/15/21 05:28 AM

pm sent

Re: MLD Hunts - 07/16/21 10:36 PM

PMs answered. Thank you!

Re: MLD Hunts - 07/20/21 04:59 PM

A couple of teasers! The big boys are definitely starting to take shape!!!

Attached picture IMG_3307.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3308.jpg

Re: MLD Hunts - 07/30/21 05:49 PM

We pulled some cards on one of the ranches. The bucks are really shaping up. We still have a few openings if you want to hunt for a fantastic whitetail! Send me a PM>>>

Attached picture IMG_7187.jpg
Attached picture IMG_7189.jpg
Attached picture IMG_7183.jpg
Posted By: aoudaddy

Re: MLD Hunts - 08/01/21 12:42 AM

We pulled some cards on one of the ranches. The bucks are really shaping up. We still have a few openings if you want to hunt for a fantastic whitetail! Send me a PM>>>

That wide 8? With the short drop looks really interesting 👍🏼👍🏼

Re: MLD Hunts - 08/01/21 05:22 PM

Great looking animals

Re: MLD Hunts - 08/03/21 03:40 PM

If this is the buck I think he is he is an absolute ghost - almost! He just keeps growing. Never a daytime photo ...... and barely any photo at all.....

Attached picture Image-1.jpg

Re: MLD Hunts - 08/23/21 12:33 AM

The bucks are still growing on the Pearsall ranches. We have two spots in mid November if you and a buddy want to make a hunt.... we're anticipating some exceptional deer with the amount of rainfall this year. This type of year doesn't come along very often in South Texas so don't miss out!

Attached picture IMG_3351.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3353.jpg
Posted By: HK9mm

Re: MLD Hunts - 08/24/21 03:54 PM

Sent you a PM re: Nov hunts.

Re: MLD Hunts - 08/31/21 10:42 PM

The boys of summer are just about done-almost!

Attached picture IMG_3410.jpg
Attached picture IMG_7362.jpg
Attached picture IMG_7326.jpg
Posted By: svbubba

Re: MLD Hunts - 09/01/21 09:21 PM

pm sent.........

Re: MLD Hunts - 09/06/21 09:55 PM

Yes sir. PM answered and call made. Thank you.

The first big boy shed yesterday! The fun begins......

Re: MLD Hunts - 09/14/21 03:17 PM

The Geezer made his appearance! This will probably be the only sighting we get of him this year unless he gets stupid in a couple of months which he hasn't done yet in the last couple of years... Amazing what a tease this buck has become!

We still have availability the week of November 8th. There will be some really nice bucks harvested this year due to carryover and the copious amounts of rainfall this summer. Nature may not provide this amount of moisture again for a long time. If your on the fence about doing a hunt in South Texas this is probably the year you should do it. It may be a while before you hit these conditions again!!!
If your interested shoot me a PM....

Attached picture IMG_3473.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3479.jpg

Re: MLD Hunts - 10/09/21 03:44 AM

I appreciate everyone that has been looking for updates and pictures. There is a lot of work going on behind the scenes currently. We typically don't kick it in gear until early November. Once it starts though it will be pretty steady for several months with lots of updates and pictures.........

Stay tuned - it should be an interesting year!

Attached picture IMG_3407.jpg
Posted By: TxBuck

Re: MLD Hunts - 10/09/21 10:00 PM

What is the price tag for that buck?
Posted By: MAP

Re: MLD Hunts - 10/14/21 02:18 AM

is that big 8pt available? Great looking bucks
Posted By: Setafavn

Re: MLD Hunts - 10/15/21 03:54 PM

Hi. I just sent you a PM

Re: MLD Hunts - 10/18/21 10:20 PM

TxBuck- That buck still has a hall pass for another year or two. I need to get a little more age on him. He is that good looking and looks better hard antlered. I anticipate he will add a lot of bone in the next year.

MAP- The rancher is debating whether to offer that buck up this year. His sheds scored 172" last year as an 8......

All PMs answered. Thank you.

Re: MLD Hunts - 10/20/21 08:46 PM

A couple of nice bucks decided to pose for the camera recently...... we've got lots of deer of all sizes, these two just presented nice photo ops!

Attached picture IMG_7731.jpg
Attached picture IMG_7662.jpg
Posted By: aoudaddy

Re: MLD Hunts - 10/21/21 03:37 AM

Thats one big 8!

Keep us posted
Posted By: HFD45

Re: MLD Hunts - 10/23/21 04:05 PM

PM sent

Re: MLD Hunts - 10/25/21 09:06 PM

All PMs answered.
Thank you!

Re: MLD Hunts - 10/26/21 07:52 PM

All additional PMs answered!
Thanks

Re: MLD Hunts - 10/28/21 04:17 AM

The one buck will score really well...... the other buck lacks tine length however he sure put it on width wise! The bucks ears on this particular ranch typically are 18" so you can do the math and he is on the hit list for this year........

Attached picture IMG_7730.jpg
Attached picture 3adc8d09-390e-4743-81be-71a8a472454d.jpg
Posted By: Chris86

Re: MLD Hunts - 10/28/21 06:53 PM

Counting down the days until we get there!

Re: MLD Hunts - 10/28/21 08:25 PM

Yes sir, there are some really nice bucks starting to move about. Should be a good time! We're looking forward to ya'll coming down!
Posted By: 060swt

Re: MLD Hunts - 11/03/21 12:42 AM

Hello Roadkill54, I am very interested in harvesting some meat this year. If you still have something open, please let me know. thank you.
Posted By: 060swt

Re: MLD Hunts - 11/03/21 12:43 AM

Hello Roadkill54, I am very interested in harvesting some meat this year. If you still have something open, please let me know.

PM 214-264-8325

Re: MLD Hunts - 11/03/21 05:50 PM

All PMs answered.
Thank you.

Re: MLD Hunts - 11/09/21 05:25 AM

Well, its game on. The fun has started. One of the first bucks to hit the ground is a deer we have watched for 5 years. This buck has always had incredible spread and we estimated him to be 8/9 years of age. We asked one of our long-time guests if he would be interested in hunting a 'Wide' deer. He jumped at the opportunity without seeing any pictures. Of course, the buck sensed immediately we were after him and disappeared. Five additional cameras and 41/2 days our hunter finally connected.

Main frame 8 with a 3" inline beam drop right side. 305/8ths inches outside. One heck of an mainframe 8! For those that care about score 168 and change.....

Attached picture IMG_2374.jpeg

Re: MLD Hunts - 11/09/21 09:51 AM

great, interesting buck

Re: MLD Hunts - 11/11/21 07:14 PM

A couple of months ago I posted a hunt available on another ranch further south. That hunt took place a couple of days ago. I'll just say we underestimated this great buck considerably..... This was the big deer (fuzzy pic) i put out there to hunt a couple of months ago. The hunter made a great shot and has a super trophy now. The buck scored 2141/8...... Congrats to the successful hunter.

Attached picture IMG_9017.jpg

Re: MLD Hunts - 11/14/21 05:19 PM

On certain bucks we do post postmortem's - sometimes due to injury (as in the case with the deer last January) or if we want to gain a better understanding as to what made them special from an antler growing perspective. This was the case with this buck. His body was longer than the typical buck deer on this ranch and he was heavier than most. He was a native deer. The ranch had years of history with this buck. He was a fighter-not a very good one. He was always busted up by Thanksgiving. The old saying -genetics, nutrition, AGE....... Below is his jawbone.... He jumped 30" from last year.

Attached picture 214.png

Re: MLD Hunts - 12/10/21 03:14 PM

Well, November was a busy month as has been the first part of December. We took a slight detour from the Whitetail world all the way up to SE Utah in early November to chase Mule Deer for a few days. Fortunately our aim was straight and all of us harvested some very nice deer in addition to seeing some beautiful country! Below are the pictures of those bucks.

Additionally, I just got back from the ranches down south. We harvested some very nice native whitetails. The rut is in full swing. I'll start posting those pictures tonight as time permits.

Attached picture IMG_1581.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1586.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3481.jpg
Attached picture IMG_4319.jpg

Re: MLD Hunts - 12/11/21 02:18 AM

We've had some really good deer hit the ground already from our hunts that we have conducted. This first buck scored 173 and was taken at 257 yds coming into an oat pivot. An interesting note - there still not hitting the oats very much due to the native browse and forbs coming up from the recent rains.... This buck was trailing a doe. The second buck scored 159 7/8 missing 4" of his brow guard on the right side....

Attached picture 66009596227__4EFD7190-4114-433A-B8EE-E69C1DA9BAE2.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3866.jpg

Re: MLD Hunts - 12/11/21 03:47 AM

Really nice

Re: MLD Hunts - 12/11/21 02:57 PM

This buck has been on our harvest list for the last three years however he has proven to be an absolute ghost. Any little bit of pressure and he goes underground for a week. We have spent hundreds of man hours hunting this particular deer. We have had 11 cameras out monitoring his travel patterns. To say he had become a nomad might be an understatement. In the span of four hours recently he covered 4.25 miles and visited four different stand locations. In the last week with the approaching rut he narrowed his area down to two stand areas but then only at night. Just before our group came in we got a daylight picture of him. Then another along with some girlfriends. Could a pattern be developing? At least long enough to slip in and kill him....

Our group arrives, we take care of the necessities and our guide and guest hike in over a half mile to minimize any disturbance. The does came out about 4:40 pm along with a few other bucks. At about 5:10 The buck comes slipping out along the edge of the brush line on high alert. Its very evident he doesn't like being exposed -our guide whispers to our guest that's him -Kill him now -he's about to leave! Our hunter made a great shot and the rest is in the photo's and he now has a tremendous trophy!

Attached picture IMG_0694.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0696.jpg

Re: MLD Hunts - 12/14/21 07:55 PM

We had one of the best hunt weeks we've had in a long time. It was tough because the bigger deer were out of their pattern but good because they were on the troll and visible which made them kill-able. The first buck was seen only once last year during the hunting season. We got him on camera a number of times this year and then one of the guides actually filmed him briefly. He does not stay in any one place long so it was game on. They started hunting him where they had seen him only to find he had moved 3/4 of a mile to another location where the buck made a mistake and took a dirt nap! The first two photo's are of the ghost buck. This bucks scored 1843/8ths for those that care....

The second buck had been on the watch list for a couple of years and almost always at one particular stand area. He ended up being harvested over a mile from where he normally lives the majority of the year. This deer grossed 153.....

Attached picture IMG_2458.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3918.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3922.jpg

Re: MLD Hunts - 12/15/21 06:20 PM

Another nice buck hit the ground this past week. We had been watching this buck on camera for weeks and when we slipped in to hunt him he became a no show. We surmised he was in lock down with a doe. Lots of other bucks were being seen just not the target buck. On day three we made the decision to go in late morning and try and rattle him up. Much to our delight it worked perfectly and he almost ran over the guide who was rattling however the hunter was not positioned to make the shot. At least we found out several key things....
1) He was still in the immediate area
2) He was not busted up
So the vigil continued. That evening another big deer came in that was on the harvest list however he had obviously been fighting since he was missing some 20" of bone. So he now gets a pass until next year. The next morning hunter and guide are back at it with the other guides sitting in other nearby blinds looking in case this buck moved during the night. Shortly after daylight the shot and hit are finally heard. The buck materialized making a scrap almost in the same spot he was rattled up in the day before! You love it when they grow after they hit the ground....... Mainframe 9 with trash - 18 score-able points. One heck of a deer-one heck of a hunt- one happy hunter! For the score hungry 1835/8.....

Attached picture IMG_8119.jpg
Attached picture IMG_8122.jpg
Attached picture IMG_8125.jpg
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: MLD Hunts - 12/15/21 08:28 PM

On certain bucks we do post postmortem's - sometimes due to injury (as in the case with the deer last January) or if we want to gain a better understanding as to what made them special from an antler growing perspective. This was the case with this buck. His body was longer than the typical buck deer on this ranch and he was heavier than most. He was a native deer. The ranch had years of history with this buck. He was a fighter-not a very good one. He was always busted up by Thanksgiving. The old saying -genetics, nutrition, AGE....... Below is his jawbone.... He jumped 30" from last year.

What was the consensus on the age of this deer?

Re: MLD Hunts - 12/15/21 10:26 PM

Great question. Sid is thinking 8/9 based on the number of years he has watched him. I'm thinking 7/8 if you solely go off of teeth. We are learning on our other ranches that aging by teeth is not an exact science. In fact we are now extracting the two front incisors out and sending them out for further analysis. We have already learned that even this is not fool[proof though...

Back to the original question though ....... the ranch has 'soft' soils which could attribute to the wear pattern. Not a lot of grit where this buck spent the majority of his time. Regardless, with the years of history that Sid had on this particular buck I think he's probably on age wise. Thanks for the question.

Re: MLD Hunts - 12/26/21 10:34 PM

Well, I'm not quite sure where to start. I've been on the ranches for the last 9 days guiding and its been phenomenal. The big deer have changed their patterns due to the rut, constantly on the move, showing up at weird times. We rattled up over 100 bucks in 21/2 days. It was absolutely crazy at times. We had big deer come into 12 yds crashing to a stop foaming at the mouth. All I can say it was crazy hunting and our hunters have some very vivid memories. To say they are spoiled might be an understatement.... Anyway out of all these deer we only harvested three. We had to make sure they were mature and then be able to make ethical shots. One of our hunters probably heard no 70 times (to young, to small, not a good shot, before he heard kill'em)! Anyway below are the bucks we were able to harvest while rattling. And we did find another ghost BIG 8 we had not seen before. I have a few more pictures I will post later.

Attached picture IMG_8216.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3984.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2440.jpeg

Re: MLD Hunts - 12/27/21 08:52 PM

A few more of the deer we harvested last week during our two hunts. As I mentioned in the previous post the normal patterns evaporated however we were still successful in finding good bucks. The first buck scored 191", the second was an 8x8 that had great mass and touched 176" and the third we caught up to at dark with a doe at the edge of one of our oat pivots. It was a great time to be in South Texas Texas!

Its not to early to book for next year as we have plenty of carryover deer!!

Attached picture IMG_0328.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_2438.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3985.jpg

Re: MLD Hunts - 12/27/21 09:57 PM

Love that dark horned one

Re: MLD Hunts - 12/31/21 07:00 PM

I've had a cancellation on my family ranch east of Sonora during the week of January 24th. This is primarily a whitetail hunt although I do have axis. This hunt can be for a 130 up to a trophy class type buck since we have plenty of deer. If your seriously looking please PM me. I do not post my pricing. The enclosed is the type of quality deer I have......

Attached picture IMG_4683.jpg

Re: MLD Hunts - 01/02/22 10:34 PM

All PMs responded too.
Thank you!

Re: MLD Hunts - 01/23/22 01:06 AM

We just finished up our last big deer hunt for the year. Turned out to be more than a little interesting. A deer we had found last fall had disappeared with the start of the rut as they sometimes do. He reappeared about 10 days ago and settled into a pattern (almost). Anyway, our guest arrived and we started our hunt and the buck no shows ( figures right). Anyway the next day the deer shows and comes in and the guest passes on him........ Mind you this is a deer that has 36-37 inches of mass, will break 170 but is only 15-16" wide. So the hunt continues.This cold front coming and the weather has the deer acting weird. We change blinds and have a bunch of deer out front and to the side. The guest has been staring off to the side watching a deer at the water trough and finally says I think that may be a new buck (after watching him for 15 minutes). Quick glance-get your gun up and kill him. Trash points left g2, trash points right g3-tall heavy, chocolate massive body and now behind a multi trunk mesquite tree.... no shot. Slip back in that evening and he shows about 500 yds out on the fence line via the full moon. So we plan for the next morning...
Go to the same blind......but go early and put extra corn out since the vehicle is not bothering him and hope for the best. Similar scenario -- there are deer everywhere. Two sets of eyes looking at everybody in the field multiple times and then there he is right in front of us at 130 yds! But wait- no doubt its a shooter but he's missing the extra goodies up top from the day before. A couple of kickers, lots of points, heavy, chocolate, wide get the gun up now.... I think our guest gets nervous if he rushes into the shot (about gave us a heart attack!!!) Anyway he made a great shot and this buck will look great on his wall! He taped out at 1796/8ths. A great way to end on a high note!

Attached picture IMG_4105.jpg

Re: MLD Hunts - 02/03/22 05:45 PM

All PMs responded too!
Thank you.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum