Texas Hunting Forum

Flying to South Africa

Posted By: NewJeep

Flying to South Africa - 01/01/20 07:49 PM

What’s the best airlines?
What routes best to fly with guns?
Heard flying into Europe is a PIA when firearms are on board?
Posted By: Erny

Re: Flying to South Africa - 01/01/20 11:52 PM

I have been 4 times.

Flew Delta it was ok.

Flew Emirates twice. Absolutely awesome customer service, great food and the gun thing was quite easy. On one trip we spent 3 days in Dubai and the the UAE Airport police kept the rifles. Dubai is great place to visit. Overall a great experience and the Ariline I will be flying in my future trips to Southern Africa.

Flew British Airways. It was an absolute nightmare. Nothing went smooth and customer service was nothing short of awful. The only upside was they compensated us 100 dollars a day expenses (had to provide receipts) for each of the two bags they lost. Never again will I ever fly with them hunting or otherwise.
Posted By: bphillips

Re: Flying to South Africa - 01/02/20 12:41 AM

Delta non stop from Atlanta is the only way IMO
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: Flying to South Africa - 01/02/20 02:02 AM

Done Atl to Joberg twice, it was ok, no issues. Hear this year or next they’ll have more seating options which will be nice. From Dallas it just seems to be the quickest route.
Posted By: JABHunting

Re: Flying to South Africa - 01/02/20 02:52 AM

South African Airways from ATL or JFK (NY). They go direct to Jo'berg. Excellent service every year since 2008.
Posted By: NTO

Re: Flying to South Africa - 01/02/20 03:33 AM

Have flown most the ways to get there with guns.
Delta if flying economy because it fastest route.
Qatar or Emirates if business Qatar a touch better IMHO.
Posted By: GOLDSTEIN

Re: Flying to South Africa - 01/02/20 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by NTO
Have flown most the ways to get there with guns.
Delta if flying economy because it fastest route.
Qatar or Emirates if business Qatar a touch better IMHO.

up Qatar Q Suites is the way to fly!
Posted By: ErikL

Re: Flying to South Africa - 01/02/20 05:39 AM

I flew delta sfo 2 atl 2 jberg 2.5 yrs ago, was offered upgrade to first class for $450, jumped on it, was great, seamless, no issues with guns. Would repeat. Heard +/- tningsaboutother airlines and guns.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Flying to South Africa - 01/02/20 05:57 PM

You flying into Cape Town or Jo'Berg? Makes a difference. And either way I'd never route through Europe for this trip. Adds too much airtime and hassle.
Posted By: lost again

Re: Flying to South Africa - 01/02/20 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by dkershen
You flying into Cape Town or Jo'Berg? Makes a difference. And either way I'd never route through Europe for this trip. Adds too much airtime and hassle.

How long is the flight.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Flying to South Africa - 01/02/20 09:47 PM

Talk to Travel With Guns. They can advise you. It's 16 to 18 hours on a plane from the states to Johannesburg. I've done it six times, all going on to Zimbabwe or Mozambique, so I overnighted in Johannesburg every time except one I think.

If I do go again, I WOULD go through Europe and overnight/take my time there, then go on to wherever without going through Johannesburg. My butt and mind just can't do the direct flight anymore. I think the only major European city you need to avoid is London regarding firearms. And if you're not hell-bent on taking a rifle, your outfitter/PH can scrounge up a decent firearm.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Flying to South Africa - 01/02/20 10:09 PM

I second Travel with Guns. Steve did a great job with my firearm permits and flight itinerary.

We flew Qatar Airways and flew to Doha then to Jo'Burg. This accomplished two things: it broke up the trip and we got to spend a nice 6 hour session at the Doha airport, which is like a big mall. Got to shower, eat, shop, get massages, etc. was very impressed. Secondly, I saved THOUSANDS of dollars flying Qatar vs. Delta. Another hunter told me what he spent flying from Atlanta to Jo'Burg via Delta ( albeit first class ) and I almost spit my drink out. We were able to upgrade to business class on the Doha to SA leg of the flight for a pretty fair rate. Business class is the way to go vs. economy if you can get it.

Steve with TWG straight up told me, if you expect your guns to be there when you land in SA, then avoid Europe altogether.
Posted By: GO REBS

Re: Flying to South Africa - 01/28/20 05:58 PM

ATL to Jberg on Delta. Also United flies New York to Cape Town direct.
Posted By: Sabudawn Safaris

Re: Flying to South Africa - 01/28/20 06:42 PM

The top 3 airline to fly in to Johannesburg are :

1. Delta airlines
2. Emirates
3. Qatar
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Flying to South Africa - 01/29/20 02:45 AM

Emirates is top notch, I've flown them and SAA and Emirates was much nicer, their flight Houston to Dubai then Johannesburg was the same as Houston to Atlanta to Joburg because the plane to Dubai was so much faster.
Posted By: BrotherD

Re: Flying to South Africa - 02/16/20 10:38 PM

We flew Delta non-stop from Atlanta to Johannesburg. We sat in comfort plus. It’s a looong flight, but the seats weren’t terrible.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum