Texas Hunting Forum

Outfitter References

Posted By: Buzzsaw

Outfitter References - 12/26/19 03:06 PM

Everyone using an "outfitter" for any type hunt should ask for references. I have made this mistake by not asking for references or asking enough questions. HUGE mistake. I can give you an honest reference for the following Hunting ranches and their packages, etc.

1. Shonto Ranch
2. West Texas Hunting Outfitters (WTHO)
3. D&B Hunting
4. South Texas Hunting Outfitters (STHO)
5. Woodson Hunter (dove hunting)
6. Sagebrush Outfitters (Prairie Dogs)

Please PM for any references
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Outfitter References - 12/26/19 04:50 PM

Certainly some bad ones out there. Dealt with one this year for a West Texas Mule Deer hunt, luckily it didn't cost me anything but time.

Some very good outfitters too. My Elk Outfitter in NM is a good one and I have one in Colorado that a very good guy too.
Posted By: mbavo

Re: Outfitter References - 12/26/19 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Stompy
Certainly some bad ones out there. Dealt with one this year for a West Texas Mule Deer hunt, luckily it didn't cost me anything but time.

Some very good outfitters too. My Elk Outfitter in NM is a good one and I have one in Colorado that a very good guy too.

Who was the bad one in West Texas?
Pm me if you’d rather.
I want to make sure to stay away from them.
I’ve been wanting to hunt muledeer for several years, but haven’t pulled the trigger on a hunt yet.

Re: Outfitter References - 12/26/19 07:58 PM

Sent mbavo.
Posted By: mbavo

Re: Outfitter References - 12/26/19 08:35 PM

Thank you Sir

Re: Outfitter References - 12/26/19 08:50 PM

Just to be perfectly clear, the West Texas outfitter I'm referring to is NOT Mulie Mike. I believe Mike to be one of the good ones, even though I've never hunted with him, but have talked to him several times.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Outfitter References - 12/26/19 09:13 PM

I never bother calling an outfitters references. The outfitter is only going to give you positive references. It’s a waste of time. Instead I do internet searches on hunting forums and face book. If there is a negative review out there you will find it.
Posted By: LuckyHunter

Re: Outfitter References - 12/26/19 10:50 PM

Why not just deal direct with the ranch owners?
Posted By: mulie_mike

Re: Outfitter References - 12/27/19 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by LuckyHunter

There are plenty of shady ranch owners out there too.
Posted By: 7mag

Re: Outfitter References - 12/27/19 04:03 PM

Well let the rock throwing start. I booked a hunt with Hwy Man out in west Texas. Horrible outfitter. Old,short senile old man!!!!

Re: Outfitter References - 12/27/19 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by mulie_mike

There are plenty of shady ranch owners out there too.

If anyone needs a list of the great ranch owners just send a PM.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Outfitter References - 12/28/19 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by 7mag
Well let the rock throwing start. I booked a hunt with Hwy Man out in west Texas. Horrible outfitter. Old,short senile old man!!!!

What was horrible about the hunt? Did you threaten to shoot a feral cat? He’ll make sure you do jail time for that.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Outfitter References - 12/28/19 05:15 PM

When I first started going on outfitted hunts back in the 90's, all I had to go on was what I read in the Hunting magazines that I subscribed to. They always said to ask for and call references, so that's what I did. First trip was to Quebec for Caribou with Jack Hume and that worked out great. Next trip was to some outfitter that I don't remember near Thompson Falls Montana for elk. I spoke to half a dozen references and they all spoke highly of the outfitter, and how they saw elk every day and that they hunt with the outfitter every year. I guess it was too good to be true, because it was a disaster. Outfitter took his regulars to an area that they saw game, and us new clients to an area on public land that was over run with out of state hunters all over the place. In 5 days, I saw elk once as they ran past us after being shot at from two different groups of hunters on the same hill that we where on. Learned while we where there that the references where the regulars who where treated well, and that the new hunters never booked a hunt with them again.

After that, I started talking guys at my taxidermist on where they went and booked my hunts from those conversations. I had good luck doing that until the Internet took off. I still ask people that I meet where they went and what it was like there, but most importantly, I search for the outfitter and his guides online to see if anybody has posted anything about them. I use different search engines like Google, Chrome and Duckduckgo. Before spending any money, I want to know everything that I can about the outfitter!!!! I do not trust references that they provide and haven't called any of them since that Montana hunt.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Outfitter References - 12/29/19 02:22 AM

Just to be perfectly clear, the West Texas outfitter I'm referring to is NOT Mulie Mike. I believe Mike to be one of the good ones, even though I've never hunted with him, but have talked to him several times.

I've hunted with Muley Mike on an Aoudad hunt and had a great time and great hunt. I highly recommend him.
Posted By: TexasHunter14

Re: Outfitter References - 12/30/19 02:02 PM

Some ranches can be shady or not what you are paying for.......outfitter you are using may be a good one and wants to deliver you a quality experience and service, but the ranch does their own thing beyond that outfitters control/authority level. SO CHECK OUT NAME OF RANCH TOO!!!! I have hunted with Mulie Mike...good guy and gets it done...have a great friend that uses him multiple times a year for his business trip hunts.
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Outfitter References - 12/30/19 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by mbavo

Who was the bad one in West Texas?
Pm me if you’d rather.
I want to make sure to stay away from them.
I’ve been wanting to hunt muledeer for several years, but haven’t pulled the trigger on a hunt yet.

Same here please. Headed to West Texas on the 2nd.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Outfitter References - 12/30/19 07:58 PM

I would be interested in the good ones as well. I am looking to go on my first elk hunt next year.

Re: Outfitter References - 12/31/19 03:28 PM

Check out: Lucky 7 Exotics, Eden,Tx 3,000 acres with herds of self sustaining game animals. Ranch owner provides Excellent Lodging, ranch style meals and Guiding. From the beginner to the seasoned Trophy hunter we assure the very best hunting adventure. 40 species of game roam our ranch www.LUCKY7EXOTICS.COM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: ElderlyKajun

Re: Outfitter References - 01/01/20 07:31 PM

I am looking for a Hunt for this upcoming season. I would like to use someone on this page or good references to check out. I am partially disabled and live on a fixed income , But can manage $2500. I am looking for a outfitter to do this on a yearly basis. I live near Baton Rouge Louisiana and can only do about 8 hours in a vehicle. Lodging would be nice..Thank you to anyone who helps out.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Outfitter References - 01/02/20 12:44 AM

A good outfitter knows the animals on a ranch better than the rancher.
A good outfitter will have everything ready to go for your hunt. I know I hire an outfitter for hunts that I have limited time or knowledge of the species I’m hunting.
A good outfitter makes your hunt a great experience with lifetime memories.
A mediocre or bad outfitter will ruin a hunt you have worked and saved for.
Posted By: mulie_mike

Re: Outfitter References - 01/02/20 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by ElderlyKajun
I am looking for a Hunt for this upcoming season. I would like to use someone on this page or good references to check out. I am partially disabled and live on a fixed income , But can manage $2500. I am looking for a outfitter to do this on a yearly basis. I live near Baton Rouge Louisiana and can only do about 8 hours in a vehicle. Lodging would be nice..Thank you to anyone who helps out.

I have a variety of hunts within your budget www.westtexashunt.com
Posted By: ElderlyKajun

Re: Outfitter References - 01/02/20 02:12 AM

PM sent
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Outfitter References - 01/02/20 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by huntwest

A good outfitter will have everything ready to go for your hunt. I know I hire an outfitter for hunts that I have limited time or knowledge of the species I’m hunting.

very true

i will return pm's today
Posted By: PriourHuntingRanch

Re: Outfitter References - 01/02/20 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Originally Posted by huntwest

very true

i will return pm's today

Your key word is "Good"
It can also be said:
A good ranch owner knows the animals on the ranch better than anyone,
A good ranch owner will have everything ready to go for your hunt.
A good ranch owner makes your hunt a great experience with lifetime of memories,
A good Outfitter needs a good ranch, with a good owner's permission to conduct their good hunts.

Re: Outfitter References - 01/03/20 09:25 PM

No middle man here. I own and live on the ranch, and am the outfitter.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum