Texas Hunting Forum

Guided Green Head - 2hrs Houston?

Posted By: HVILLE HNTR

Guided Green Head - 2hrs Houston? - 08/09/19 12:18 PM

Seeing if there are any outfitters that offer guided green head hunts within 2 hours of the Houston area

Re: Guided Green Head - 2hrs Houston? - 08/09/19 02:00 PM

Or does this not exist and lm going to have to go further North?

Re: Guided Green Head - 2hrs Houston? - 08/16/19 05:46 PM

Bump
Posted By: Aggieduck

Re: Guided Green Head - 2hrs Houston? - 08/17/19 01:57 PM

Umm it can be done but that's making it very difficult. You'll probably have to wait until real late in the season and be very flexible. If they show up you've got to be ready to go. Then you run into the issue of finding a guide that will do that for you. If he gets a wad of greenheads hes probably calling up some of his best clients if he isn't already booked. If the river gets out of its banks around navasota to corsicana and a few other places that's probably the best bet for a green head hunt 2 hrs from Houston.

You're going to have to go a little further if you want something for a sure deal. Emory to witchuta falls into Oklahoma.
Posted By: woodduckhunter

Re: Guided Green Head - 2hrs Houston? - 08/17/19 07:53 PM

you just wanting to go shoot one, or a 4 or 5 man limit more than half the ducks green? several can put you on one, but years like last year were very difficult up and down the trinity for consistent green. If I were really wanting to load up on mallards, id go nw tx, ok, or ark. 2 hrs north is getting you to the Centerville/buffalo area. there are some decent mallard numbers in that area on most years, but not what i'd call a lot.
Posted By: TexasSlam18

Re: Guided Green Head - 2hrs Houston? - 08/20/19 11:48 AM

I had many hunts last year where we shot a mallard or two in Winnie at The Drake Plantation. It is not a guaranteed thing you are going to shoot one though. Like woodduckhunter said, if you want big straps of green go to Oklahoma.
Posted By: Boudreaux

Re: Guided Green Head - 2hrs Houston? - 08/26/19 10:32 PM

Guaranteed greenhead kills in that area of Texas are almost impossible. Sure some get killed down there but not enough to pay a guide for. Seriously look at heading North towards OK or Ark, I think you'd be a lot better off. I guide in central Texas and even we get excited to see a handful of mallards show up.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum