Texas Hunting Forum

First Elk - Cow / Cull hunts?

Posted By: deewayne2003

First Elk - Cow / Cull hunts? - 01/24/19 03:26 PM

I've been hunting from South Texas to Canada, but I have never had the chance at an elk and was thinking about cutting my teeth with a cow and or cull hunt; this would be more of a get out of Austin and fill the freezer type hunt for me and possibly a buddy.

So I guess what I'm looking for is a low key hunt where I could take a couple of cows or perhaps a cow & cull, fill the ice chests and be on my way. I really don't care if its out of a stand, blind, spot and stalk, alfalfa field, ect.

I'm open to high fenced hunts but I just don't have any desire to walk up to a breeder pen and shoot a used up cow elk with a plastic tag in her ear that's 20yds away and covered in ticks; and quite honestly half the fun of the hunt would be seeing some new country.

So any advice from you elk hunters & outfitters?...… Feel free to shoot me over a PM if you have any information
Posted By: Daniel Boone

Re: First Elk - Cow / Cull hunts? - 01/24/19 06:15 PM

Give Kiowa Outfitters out of New Mexico a call. I just got back from a cow elk hunt on Vermejo Park Ranch in Raton and it was a blast. You will see a lot of elk. PM me if you have any questions.
Posted By: 218 Bee

Re: First Elk - Cow / Cull hunts? - 01/24/19 06:39 PM

Contact Bryce Brandl (Bbrandl here on THF); I just took a cow elk with him last week. Fine young man to deal with.

And cow elk will almost make you throw rocks at beef. Food of the Gods...

Mark
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum