Texas Hunting Forum

Montana Elk Hunting

Posted By: Two Bear

Montana Elk Hunting - 08/17/16 04:03 PM

Two Bear Outfitters has Lodge Hunts available for 2016, and left over tags for bull elk are still available through FWP. We are also opening bookings for 2017 elk camps. Give us a call, or a visit at www.elkoutfitters.com

Thanks!
Posted By: Justin Spies

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 08/18/16 02:35 AM

Really been looking into New Mexico for 2017 hadn't thought about Montana, are tags easy to get for archery? What's yalls opportunity and success rates like?

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 08/18/16 04:18 PM

Montana tags are by draw, however, since we never sell out tags it is 100%. Draw deadline is March 15th, 2017 for next years hunts. In fact, we have leftover tags still available for this season, that is why we are booking lodge hunts. All of our camps are booked for this year as they go pretty quick. As for opportunities, if our archery hunters are willing to hunt and get on it, they will get their opportunity. What they do with that opportunity(s) is up to the hunter. We have had guys miss multiple bulls in the same morning, lol. If a hunter hangs out in his tent and drinks whisky, prolly not going to get an opportunity. In general, no matter who the outfitter is, if you are willing to put in the effort your chances of success skyrocket. We have elk, and some world class calibers to boot, but the bigger the elk the more rare they are, and that is true with any species in the world. References are attached to our website and those fellas can tell you what it is like. At the end of the day, its about having fun, being safe, and getting hard working folks into bulls. Thanks!
Posted By: passthru

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 08/18/16 07:43 PM

Not interested in a late season hunt but a buddy and I may be interested in and early archery hunt next fall.

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 08/19/16 03:27 AM

Well passthru have a look at the website, we got early season archery for 2017 and I believe it is open. We book camp hunts quick though, plus we typically do about 10-12 repeat clients a year and that takes a good chunk of camp space. I got some pics posted up in the photo section too for yall to view if your interested.

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 08/20/16 08:57 PM

I looked at your website and we are discussing it.
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 08/20/16 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru

Or you could go a bear hunt with us next spring! up

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 08/21/16 08:10 PM

Sounds good passthru, let me know if you have any questions, I'm always happy to discuss elk huntin;-)
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 08/21/16 08:48 PM

I too have your website saved. If I'm able to come up in the next year or two, I will. 'Hunted the Bob with an outfitter a couple of times and miss the mountains terribly.

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 08/22/16 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: dgilbert

Or you could go a bear hunt with us next spring! up

I still haven't found a reason to kill a goat/ram or a bear. Now elk taste sooooo good.

I do appreciate the invite though.

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 08/22/16 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Two Bear
Sounds good passthru, let me know if you have any questions, I'm always happy to discuss elk huntin;-)

I will be calling you. I've done four DIY elk hunts in Colorado. Three with rifle and one archery. I had ops on all of the hunts and killed two with my rifle, missed one with my bow. Passed some with my bow I regretted later.

I have a group of three who would be joining me but I need to make sure that when I'm asking guys to commit that amount of money and time we are going with an outfitter that is going to put us in an area with elk that we can see and hunt. I know getting archery close is a whole other challenge. But my personal experience is if I'm in an area with elk I can get the ops.

I am making the decision on where we go so before I commit to someone or some place I will be researching and making sure we aren't going to be dropped off in some area devoid of animals with Vienna sausages and crackers for a week and feel disappointed and ripped off. I want to make sure I get my friends in a good situation because I feel personally responsible for the out come.

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 08/23/16 06:57 PM

LOl, crackers and sausages? Na, we just drop you off on the top of the mountain and let you know where to find a creek for fish, and bush for grouse:-) Actually, if you see our website we supply all the drop camp food via our camp cook. I appreciate your concern and I agree outfits should be vetted. Most of the horror stories I hear are from folks who just didn't do their research. We have reviews online and reference list on our website etc. Our reference list always includes guys who hunted with us for the first time last year, guys who have done a few hunts, archery guys, rifle guys, drop camp guys, fully guided guys, and semi-guided hunters.

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 08/23/16 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
I too have your website saved. If I'm able to come up in the next year or two, I will. 'Hunted the Bob with an outfitter a couple of times and miss the mountains terribly.

Good deal. Yup, to me there just is nothing like the rocky mountains and elk camp in the fall, love it. elk hunting can be real addictive too!

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 08/23/16 09:09 PM

I hear tell Montana elk are suffering from the wolves. Is that an issue in your area?

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 08/23/16 09:10 PM

Good deal. Yup, to me there just is nothing like the rocky mountains and elk camp in the fall, love it. elk hunting can be real addictive too!

The smell of elk in the timber is so addictive. It makes the hair on your neck stand up and is something you never lose the desire to smell again.

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 08/24/16 02:52 PM

I hear tell Montana elk are suffering from the wolves. Is that an issue in your area?
Montana has 85% of its hunting units at or above objective for elk populations, including our unit. We have had wolves for over a decade, and we still put as many bulls on the ground as we used to. For 50 bucks you can get a wolf tag and kill one if you see it. Wolf with a bow is a real trophy.
Posted By: Trophy Case Taxidermy

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 08/25/16 04:27 AM

Two bear caan u message me ur number. I'd like to talk w ya sometime tomorrow. Thx. Kt

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 08/25/16 03:39 PM

ht2K, pm sent, shoot me a call and we will talk.

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 08/25/16 09:21 PM

Spoke w Alan today. Nice guy to chat with. Looking forward to figuring out down thing for 2017

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 08/27/16 06:14 PM

ht2k, thank you for the compliment, I enjoyed our talk as well. I can send you the recipe for my Kale chake if you want;-)

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 08/29/16 12:32 PM

Montana has 85% of its hunting units at or above objective for elk populations, including our unit. We have had wolves for over a decade, and we still put as many bulls on the ground as we used to. For 50 bucks you can get a wolf tag and kill one if you see it. Wolf with a bow is a real trophy.

I bet it is. I've killed two coyotes with my bow. First one two weeks after my first heart attack. I knew then my heart was okay if it survived that adrenaline rush.

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 09/15/16 05:59 PM

Thanks for the calls gents, I do appreciate it. I am heading up to elk camp for the next few weeks, so leave a message at the office and my wife will text it up to me if I can get service, thanks again!

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 11/28/16 02:10 AM

Still booking but spots are filling. Don't hesitate to call if you are looking for a quality 2017 hunt, we have lodge and some camp hunts still available.

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 11/28/16 02:27 AM

Definitely need an elk hunt for 2017 and sending out emails. Where is 270? Do you attend DSC in Dallas in Jan.?

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 11/28/16 03:25 PM

Definitely need an elk hunt for 2017 and sending out emails. Where is 270? Do you attend DSC in Dallas in Jan.?

Unit 270 is about 50 miles south of Missoula in the Sapphire Mountain Range of western Montana. We do not do any shows at all Creek, we run some classifieds and rely on repeat and word of mouth. Give me a call if you are interested. Thank You Sir!

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 11/29/16 04:12 PM

Just booked archery hunt 3 full. So hunts 2 and 3 are full, drop archery 2 is also full. Still got archery hunt one and some rifle hunts left.

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 12/04/16 05:51 PM

I also should mention we are booking spring bear for 2017 as well. We have five hunts, two are currently booked and three are available. This is spot and stalk lodge based hunt. Thanks!!

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 12/11/16 06:13 PM

Drop camp archery hunt I has booked, and a couple rifle camp II are now booked. I have a few archery camp hunts for archery I left, one drop camp left, and a few rifle camp hunts left. I suspect the camp hunts will be a bout booked up by end of December or early January. Still have three spring bear hunts and Lodge hunts for elk including opening week lodge hunt. Thanks!!

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 12/15/16 01:32 AM

Enjoyed talking to you this evening. 'Should be booking soon.

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 12/18/16 09:55 PM

Hey Creek I greatly enjoyed talking with you also, your good people whether you book with us or somebody else. I wish you all the success. Merry Christmas!

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 01/07/17 06:26 PM

The majority of our elk camp hunts have been filled for 2017. However, we have a few scattered here and there we can fill. Still have spring bear and elk lodge as well. We will be taking bookings on winter lion 2017-18 in a few weeks. Thanks, Alan.

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 01/30/17 05:20 PM

I have two rifle spots open for rifle camp, and that is about it for 2017 camps. Still have lodge hunts available and spring bear. Thanks!!
Posted By: Dalep

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 01/30/17 05:39 PM

cant do bear this year but what type of hunting is it? All spot and stalk? Success rate? I am wanting something for spring 2018 and not really looking for baited bear.

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 02/02/17 08:54 PM

Dalep, we do spot and stalk only. You have 100% chance of seeing bears, success depends on hunter making the shot:-) Clients stay in our lodge and we access the mountains via 4x4, sometimes we use 4 wheelers, sometimes hiking, sometimes we use horses. Depends on where we are seeing the bear activity. My unit is second in the state in bear population and a few years ago Montana FWP extended the spring season by two additional weeks. There are also fishing outfitters we work with that can do a combo river raft fishing with bear hunt as well.

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 02/03/17 03:23 PM

Well haven't hunted w two bear. But was booked for 2017. Sent deposit in last august. Messed up my elbow and am scheduled for surgery within 2-3 weeks of me contacting two bear to tell my situation my deposit deck was back n my hands! Didn't even ask for money back just asked if there was something else we could do. Has to b a great outfitter if they r willing to do this. Bc of this inwill hopefully book w them soon and recommend them to everyone.

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 02/03/17 03:32 PM

Shawheel and I are booked with Two Bear for this fall.

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 04/03/17 06:45 PM

Thanks folks, lots of kind words. We are looking forward to meeting our Texas hunters this year and hopefully they will be hauling back some meat!!

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 04/25/17 02:28 PM

Montana draw is over and we have some left over Elk combo tags. We still have lodge hunts available for 2017! Give me a call and we will get you in the woods this year. www.elkoutfitters.com

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 05/07/17 05:51 PM

We are currently developing a new website and will switch over from our existing site in the next 3-4 weeks, for those who asked we will have our 2018 rates and dates posted on the new site in a few weeks! Thanks!

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 08/19/17 07:52 PM

Just want to let those who are interested we have starter our blog on Great Days Outdoors Magazine. Blog is called "Western Exposure". Follow along! https://greatdaysoutdoors.com/category/westernexposure/

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 12/10/18 07:54 PM

Hey Fellas, We have openings for 2019 Archery camp, second rifle hunt, and one lodge hunt left. If your interested give us a call. -Thanks, Alan.
Posted By: Warrior Poet

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 12/11/18 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Two Bear
Hey Fellas, We have openings for 2019 Archery camp, second rifle hunt, and one lodge hunt left. If your interested give us a call. -Thanks, Alan.

Alan,

How feasible would it be for my 63-year old dad to be able to have a successful archery hunt in the areas you guide? He bowhunts, but is just not quite as agile as he used to be. He routinely gets in and walks a few miles in hill country hunting, but I do not have as much confidence he could walk several miles a day up steep terrain and blowdowns, etc. Is it still possible for him to get on archery elk in your hunting areas even with these limitations?
Posted By: cmorsch

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 12/11/18 11:33 AM

This is a fun trip and Alan runs a good camp from what I saw this year during first rifle.
Carl

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 12/12/18 09:18 PM

Its possible, but difficult. Its difficult for me to process what kind of shape people are in by age. I've had 70 year olds get on bulls, and 30 year olds that couldn't hike at all. I just had a 60 year old archery hunter this year and he did great. It also depends on where the elk are at and the weather, we had great hunting close to camp this year in archery, and it made for some fairly easy hiking. It also depends on the hunters wiliness to maybe stand hunt by a wallow or water trail. Lotsa variables in elk hunting. Give me a call and we can discuss, thanks!

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 12/12/18 09:22 PM

Thank you Carl, check your PM box.

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 01/02/19 05:45 PM

Just updating, opening week rifle is booked have some openings in week 2, one lodge hunt left and a couple archery hunts left. Thanks! -Alan

Re: Montana Elk Hunting - 01/26/19 09:44 PM

Just updating again, all rifle hunts are completely filled for 2019, we still have some archery hunts available in camps.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum