Texas Hunting Forum

I need a hunt for a 10 yr old

Posted By: hunter_sawyer

I need a hunt for a 10 yr old - 08/20/11 03:05 PM

I recently joined the big brothers program in Midland. I met my "little" yesterday. He is ten years old and loves to go hunting but has never got to shoot anything. His parents split up and he hasnt seen his father since February so he doesnt think his dad will take him hunting this year. I am looking for a cheap hog, doe or varmint hunt within about two hours of Midland. The problem is that we can't go on over night trips so I am pretty much limited to where I can drive early in the morning or have him home within two hours after dark. I am not supposed to spend much money on him (thats the rules) but I can pay a little something to get him an animal. If anyone has anything that might fit this bill. Please let me know.

Posted By: Curtis

Re: I need a hunt for a 10 yr old - 08/20/11 03:14 PM

I don't think I know anyone in Midland area but if I find out something I pass this on. It's a good thing your doing, getting a kid outdooors to continue our traditions.

Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: I need a hunt for a 10 yr old - 08/20/11 06:44 PM

I think you still have time to apply for some of the youth hunts thru TPWD. It's free to apply and the odds on some of the managment hunts and doe/hog hunts are not bad. He should have a decnt chance at geeting drawn. Thanks for helping the little guy and good luck finding a hunt for him. Baker

Re: I need a hunt for a 10 yr old - 08/20/11 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Curtis
I don't think I know anyone in Midland area but if I find out something I pass this on. It's a good thing your doing, getting a kid outdooors to continue our traditions.

I would appreciate any leads you might offer.

Originally Posted By: elkhunter49
I think you still have time to apply for some of the youth hunts thru TPWD. It's free to apply and the odds on some of the managment hunts and doe/hog hunts are not bad. He should have a decnt chance at geeting drawn. Thanks for helping the little guy and good luck finding a hunt for him. Baker

Thats a good idea... I didnt think of that. I'll look into it. Maybe there will be one close enough.

Posted By: M Bennet

Re: I need a hunt for a 10 yr old - 08/20/11 09:37 PM

i have a buddy in midland,quency is his name call him and he can help you out.14323121878 tell him that monty sent you

Re: I need a hunt for a 10 yr old - 08/21/11 01:45 AM

Originally Posted By: M Bennet
i have a buddy in midland,quency is his name call him and he can help you out.14323121878 tell him that monty sent you

pm sent

Posted By: kmon11

Re: I need a hunt for a 10 yr old - 08/22/11 03:59 AM

Wish my leases were closer to you. It is a good thing you are doing, big brothers is a worthwhile cause for sure.

Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: I need a hunt for a 10 yr old - 08/22/11 07:01 AM

I wish you were closer I'd do something for ya like a doe hunt. I'm about 10 hrs away in deep south texas ill se if I can find ya anything in your area. Your doing a great thing!

Posted By: MathewsBowMan

Re: I need a hunt for a 10 yr old - 08/22/11 04:55 PM

He's welcome to come and shoot some does with me but we might be too far away in Shamrock. I don't know of anyone around Midland but if I think of someone I will let you know.
YB

Posted By: RodinaRanč

Re: I need a hunt for a 10 yr old - 08/22/11 05:49 PM

Could Mom not tag along so you could do an overnight? She could go shopping, etc while you're in the woods....just a thought.

We've got a place in Mason if you could make that work. He can have all the doe's he wants!

Posted By: goodgolly3811

Re: I need a hunt for a 10 yr old - 08/22/11 11:29 PM

I am in the Fort Worth area if you don't mind coming this far. My wife was raised in an orphan home, so this hits close to my heart. Let me know if you want to come out this far...Pat

Posted By: BMD

Re: I need a hunt for a 10 yr old - 08/22/11 11:36 PM

Originally Posted By: hunter_sawyer
I recently joined the big brothers program in Midland. I met my "little" yesterday. He is ten years old and loves to go hunting but has never got to shoot anything. His parents split up and he hasnt seen his father since February so he doesnt think his dad will take him hunting this year. I am looking for a cheap hog, doe or varmint hunt within about two hours of Midland. The problem is that we can't go on over night trips so I am pretty much limited to where I can drive early in the morning or have him home within two hours after dark. I am not supposed to spend much money on him (thats the rules) but I can pay a little something to get him an animal. If anyone has anything that might fit this bill. Please let me know.

Get Jimmy to hook you up

Posted By: highlonesome1

Re: I need a hunt for a 10 yr old - 08/23/11 05:00 AM

I will trade you a doe hunt youth weekend for ten (small)bales of alfalfa hay. The ranch is west of Eldorado off 190.

Posted By: jerry hart

Re: I need a hunt for a 10 yr old - 08/23/11 05:23 AM

Dude, Go to Shamrock, the doe there go over 200 pounds and look like horses, Mathew BowMan is a great guy, hunted with him for a couple of years...deer by the hundreds all low fence

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: I need a hunt for a 10 yr old - 08/23/11 02:44 PM

I have a small lease not far from Midland. At this time I cant pick a specific weekend do to my odd work schedule. PM me closer to the season if you dont find anything and we can get you hooked up if timing works.

Re: I need a hunt for a 10 yr old - 08/23/11 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: BMD
Originally Posted By: hunter_sawyer

Get Jimmy to hook you up

He has offered and I will probably take him up on it. He already does a bunch for me and I really hate to ask him for more.

Re: I need a hunt for a 10 yr old - 08/23/11 02:57 PM

Thank you to everyone who has offered! I really appreciate you guys. I would love to get him out to the places offered but places like shamrock and cisco are just a little too far. I dont have the "comfort level" with the family yet to be taking him early in the morning or bringing him home late at night. I have a buddy who has offered to take him out to colorado city so that is probably what we will do. Again, THANKS to everyone who has offered. He cant wait to get out and shoot something and gets really excited just talking about it.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum