Texas Hunting Forum

Slingin' Corn

Posted By: HogTacker83

Slingin' Corn - 10/16/06 03:34 PM

Well this is the first year I've ever had my own feeder up at our family's place. Its a moultrie and I have beefed it up woth supports and a few other things. My problem is, the family went out this weekend to refill feeders and check on the place. My feeder was filled with approx 6 40lbs bags of corn 2 weekends prior and it only took 1 40lbs bag to fill it this weekend. There was still a few pieces of corn laying around like it is still feeding and there were lots of tracks so its getting eaten. I guess I'm only feeding 20lbs a week. Sould i be feeding more? say twice as much? I have the ability to go out there once a month at the very least as it is only 3 hours away. What would you suggest? Thanks in advance for the help!
Derek

Posted By: jbhlsu

Re: Slingin' Corn - 10/16/06 03:48 PM

That is all you need man!!! It will get to be a headache and expensive...All corn is is carbs..It like candy!!!

Posted By: SplitTimeHunter

Re: Slingin' Corn - 10/16/06 07:55 PM

Its really personal preference. I hunt with guys that have their feeders going off for 12 seconds, 4 times per day. While I feed for 6 seconds, twice a day.

Posted By: huntingpj

Re: Slingin' Corn - 10/16/06 11:03 PM

Depends on the amount of deer coming to the feeder. Try to get away with a little as possible, then if it is scraped clean turn it up a little more. I hunt in West Texas and when my feeder goes off they eat until its gone. During hunting season I feed twice in the moring and twice in the evening. Just because once its gone the deer are gone.

Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Slingin' Corn - 10/17/06 03:53 PM

I feed 1200lbs a week, just broadcast it out on the ground. What the deer don't eat, the quail get. I feed them all i can, don't want them wandering over to my neighbors property.

Posted By: cj7zrcool

Re: Slingin' Corn - 10/18/06 04:46 PM

IMO, with corn, you are just trying to attract them, not feed them. I throw 4 seconds each @ 7 & 8 AM & 4:30 PM.
If you were talking about protien pellets or something with a lot more nutrition than corn, that you are actually trying to supplement their diet with, then you might want to throw more than that, but that's just me.

Posted By: SplitTimeHunter

Re: Slingin' Corn - 10/24/06 03:06 AM

Thats alot of corn. Do you buy it in bulk?

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum