Texas Hunting Forum

Hanging plastic barrel

Posted By: howl

Hanging plastic barrel - 07/23/22 09:29 PM

Whats the word on hanging the blue plastic 55 gallon drums with a bale instead of using metal? If you've done it, how did it work out?
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Hanging plastic barrel - 07/23/22 09:54 PM

I've wondered this same thing. confused2
Posted By: Flatcreek

Re: Hanging plastic barrel - 07/24/22 12:30 PM

My experience with anything plastic that contains feed will be compromised by rodents or raccoons. Squirrels will chew through a plastic barrel in no time.
Posted By: Pootie

Re: Hanging plastic barrel - 07/24/22 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Flatcreek
My experience with anything plastic that contains feed will be compromised by rodents or raccoons. Squirrels will chew through a plastic barrel in no time.

Indeed, those bushy tailed tree rats love to make holes in plastic!
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Hanging plastic barrel - 07/24/22 04:21 PM

I have a hard rubber barrel feeder that has been in use for years with no problem. Have short legs on it which makes it a stand and fill. I did put a metal lid on it.
Posted By: Pootie

Re: Hanging plastic barrel - 07/24/22 07:13 PM

Wrapped a plastic feeder with hardware cloth and added a metal trashcan lid to stop them. It worked, but still a pain and aggravation.
Posted By: DukeCigars

Re: Hanging plastic barrel - 07/28/22 12:44 PM

Might depend where you’re at…seems they don’t last in the pineywoods. As mentioned above, the squirrels will chew a big azz hole in them in no time, but out in the open it may be fine
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Hanging plastic barrel - 07/28/22 03:41 PM

We used a plastic barrel for bear bait this year, hung it up by running a 3/8 cable through the bungholes on top.
Posted By: howl

Re: Hanging plastic barrel - 08/04/22 08:27 PM

Haven't had any trouble with sq. chewing in the few years I've been using them. I found a cheap lock on style stand and have the barrel resting on that instead of hanging it.
Posted By: Birddog60

Re: Hanging plastic barrel - 09/24/22 09:16 PM

I have several 55 gal plastic barrel feeders, the non gradeable food type. Before I hang them I purchase a 3/8 all tread. 30" rod. I drill two holes through barrel. Use.a nut going in Ang one going out on the inside. Then I place rubber washers on rod on outside to seal. Will have to purchase hanger for barrel. I place hanger on rod with nut o m inside of hanger and on out side to adjust the spread to be able to put lid on. I have 3 of these on tripods with winch. I made all myself except for the head and hanger which you can get off Amazon for about $40. I have about $150 IN Each.. If you buy these from a dealer your talking $400 plus. Also my spreader is a 6 volt Wild game. I been using this setup for over 5 years here in East Texas no problems. Tripod polls are 16 ft. pipe.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum