Texas Hunting Forum

Feeder Pin Unique items

Posted By: MI Hunter

Feeder Pin Unique items - 03/06/22 07:44 PM

I am enlarging my pin this year, and currently only have a protein feeder in it, (I have 2 corn feeders outside of it about 90 yards in opposite directions). I am wanting to add a cotton seed cage, but was wondering what else you all have in yours that I might not think of. I also have a salt block in there that they haven’t touched in a year. Thanks
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Feeder Pin Unique items - 03/06/22 10:17 PM

Seems like pockets of deer react differently to food

I freaked my deer out dropping pears in the pen, maybe I went too hard but I tossed about 50 in there. They wouldn't eat them and I had less activity in the pen. Actually went and picked them all up a week later

Now my deer will devour that Big and J supplement you pour on the ground. It aint cheap so I will only put it out 3-4 times a year per feeder but in 2 days its all gone
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Feeder Pin Unique items - 03/07/22 03:47 PM

I put a cotton seed cage in my pen about 2 weeks ago. The deer definitely stayed on the other side of the pen and would not go near it. Had a 4 pointer that was curious and did check it out after about 10 days. Hoping they get used to it soon.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Feeder Pin Unique items - 03/08/22 03:55 PM

This year I added a block feeder (holds 2 blocks) and load it with BB&J blocks. The deer devour a block on the ground within about 3 days (no rain and no hogs) based on cameras. That's why I added a block feeder. It took about a week but now mainly bucks are hitting the block in the raised feeder on a T post. As got more into winter and continued drought they hit the blocks even harder
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Feeder Pin Unique items - 03/08/22 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Wilhunt
I put a cotton seed cage in my pen about 2 weeks ago. The deer definitely stayed on the other side of the pen and would not go near it. Had a 4 pointer that was curious and did check it out after about 10 days. Hoping they get used to it soon.

They will and when they do, you will have created a "monster".
Posted By: PMK

Re: Feeder Pin Unique items - 03/08/22 04:31 PM

block feeder mounted to a t-post??? have any pictures of that set up???
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum