Texas Hunting Forum

Lid blew off Bucees feeder.

Posted By: freerange

Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 11/01/21 09:17 PM

Bought a bunch of the Bucees 600# stand fill feeders awhile back and really like them. Double the capacity of a barrel feeder and the ease of checking the level and filling is a game changer. They throw a long ways too. The best investment I can remember making.
25 to 50 mph winds other day blew two of the lids off. It’s possibly they weren’t secured properly but I think not. Y’all trust those little spring clip thingys?? A rock on top would probably do it. Maybe just turn down that clip more? Other ideas?
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 11/01/21 11:06 PM

I have the same springs on 2 Gamemasters (Spintech) and first time in 7 years found one not off but ajar Saturday. Luckily no water got inside. I just twist them around more when they start to get loose.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 11/01/21 11:10 PM

Chain the lids down. Or at least a bungee/shock cord. The feeders you and I have discussed on here have HEAVY lids and one blew open and sprung where I have to chain it down from here on out. (The one's raved about on here, built by a member.)
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 11/02/21 12:05 AM

Your best investment had nothing to do with corn but there may have been a Black Eyed Pea involved.

Re: Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 11/02/21 12:09 AM

Btw, they have these things called rocks.

Re: Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 11/02/21 01:32 AM

Creek, I hear ya.
Hud, that investment involved a lot of investment in sweat equity.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 11/02/21 02:30 AM

I don’t see how wind van do,it with two spring hooks attached
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 11/02/21 03:11 AM

Regardless of the mechanism used to secure the lid (unless a full ring clamp on a barrel feeder) I always put a big rock or brick on top even with the heavy galvanized lids. I've cleaned out too many feeders full of soured corn.
Posted By: B_Man

Re: Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 11/02/21 11:43 AM

I had one blow off and I know it was secured with spring and clip. I put 2 rocks on the top now
so that it does not happen again.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 11/02/21 01:57 PM

I have high swirling winds in thunderstorms suck the lids off of protein feeders and corn feeders in the past...several times. I used these type hood latches and had the lids come off of feeders. Latches had the springs sprung or completely broken from those winds.
[Linked Image]

Re: Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 11/02/21 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
I have high swirling winds in thunderstorms suck the lids off of protein feeders and corn feeders in the past...several times. I used these type hood latches and had the lids come off of feeders. Latches had the springs sprung or completely broken from those winds.
[Linked Image]

Looking like someone paid some good money for those.

Re: Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 11/02/21 02:27 PM

Sounds like I need some rocks. ILUV, can you spare some at that one feeder location?

Re: Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 11/02/21 03:00 PM

Do not, I repeat do not , use expensive rocks.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 11/02/21 04:22 PM

Tie down with baling wire, one on each side.

Re: Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 11/02/21 08:37 PM

the lids and their locking devices are actually designed pretty good. Even so, these mechanisms cannot defeat operator error when people gets in hurry, lifting blinds, chain sawing & such.

Re: Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 11/02/21 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
the lids and their locking devices are actually designed pretty good. Even so, these mechanisms cannot defeat operator error when people gets in hurry, lifting blinds, chain sawing & such.

Was my first assumption till I saw cam pics of lids in the air.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 11/04/21 06:28 PM

I beg your pardon, but no one with even a shred of decency calls them rocks. The proper terminology is Lid Retention Device.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 11/04/21 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
I beg your pardon, but no one with even a shred of decency calls them rocks. The proper terminology is Lid Retention Device.

Cinder block, $1.99 at McCoys.

Re: Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 11/04/21 08:12 PM

68, you could dig a couple of inches and find plenty of white rock. Pretty sure.
Posted By: BOLT GUY

Re: Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 11/04/21 08:46 PM

Tires work really well too bolt

Re: Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 11/04/21 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die

Cinder block, $1.99 at McCoys.

I’ll check with Hud and see if 1.99 is considered expensive for rocks. I’m also waiting to hear back from ILUV on the price of those rocks on his lease. He’s probably checking his inventory.

Re: Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 11/05/21 12:29 AM

Know a guy that put a big rock on a feeder lid on legs. While attempting to remove the lid, he had forgotten there was a big rock on it. Unfortunately it fell off and hit I’m in the head. Trip to ER in Coleman and several stitches were on the agenda after that.

Re: Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 11/05/21 01:06 AM

Gotta be smarter than the feeder LOL.

Re: Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 11/05/21 01:16 AM

Know a guy that put a big rock on a feeder lid on legs. While attempting to remove the lid, he had forgotten there was a big rock on it. Unfortunately it fell off and hit I’m in the head. Trip to ER in Coleman and several stitches were on the agenda after that.

Note to self: look for inexpensive rocks that are soft.

Re: Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 11/05/21 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by freerange

up

Re: Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 11/05/21 02:29 AM

roflmao

Re: Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 11/05/21 10:33 AM

Yeah, did the very same thig with my 2nd one, Amygirl. Busted her hard, but just chipped the rock. Remember, this guy purchased them new fangled low and throws from Buccees. All Free has to do is wear steel toed boots.

Re: Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 11/05/21 01:34 PM

Yeah, did the very same thig with my 2nd one, Amygirl. Busted her hard, but just chipped the rock. Remember, this guy purchased them new fangled low and throws from Buccees. All Free has to do is wear steel toed boots.

rock_on
Posted By: bholt

Re: Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 11/06/21 02:52 PM

And here I am knowing full well that I have too much time on my hands, Opening day of rifle season and I'm stuck at home, at least ya'll gave me a smile today. I need to remember Lid Retention Devise luv it.

Re: Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 11/07/21 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by bholt
And here I am knowing full well that I have too much time on my hands, Opening day of rifle season and I'm stuck at home, at least ya'll gave me a smile today. I need to remember Lid Retention Devise luv it.

If you gotta be stuck at home then Georgetown is a great place to be stuck.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 11/07/21 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by bholt

If you gotta be stuck at home then Georgetown is a great place to be stuck.

That’s very true
Posted By: Archer Anthony

Re: Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 01/06/22 06:14 PM

Btw, they have these things called rocks.

I always use a rock for insurance on all my feeders. Just dont forget its up there on those tall feeders eek2

Re: Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 01/07/22 03:32 AM

I now have lid retention devices on all mine. Actually just yesterday I took off and on again 11 of them.
Posted By: jrgocards

Re: Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 01/09/22 11:18 PM

I put a 1 5/8" x 8" x 16" concrete block on top while still using the spring clips. Couple bucks at Lowes or HD for the concrete blocks

JR
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 01/10/22 12:01 AM

Lids can blow open, given the right wind speed and direction, on the "heaviest" made feeders. bang "Live and learn." And, after having to "re-engineer" the bottom of them, I won't be buying any more.
Posted By: Frio Town

Re: Lid blew off Bucees feeder. - 01/11/22 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Lids can blow open, given the right wind speed and direction, on the "heaviest" made feeders. bang "Live and learn." And, after having to "re-engineer" the bottom of them, I won't be buying any more.

Mine won't blow open. When Ramball made them I paid him extra to install a "Hasp" for lack of a better term in order to lock them to keep wets out of the corn feeders as they pass through. His are the absolute heaviest built corn feeders I have seen. With two welded hinges in the back and a LOCK in the front, the only thing that could possibly blow one open would be a tornado. That being the case I would have to buy new ones anyway.

Frio
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum