Texas Hunting Forum

Pesky Raccoon

Posted By: TXB4

Pesky Raccoon - 11/01/21 08:18 PM

Anyone have a tried and true method of keeping a persistent coon off a feeder? I know he isn’t getting much corn, but he went and broke my solar panel. Was going to try the spike strips.

Attached picture DF5A8A84-0FAD-4F95-8299-875381D5B3FA.jpeg
Posted By: maximum

Re: Pesky Raccoon - 11/01/21 08:29 PM

Set a dog proof trap adjacent to the feeder, and
when it's caught pop it with your 22
End of that particular problem

( there's probably 5 more feeding that you don't see)
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Pesky Raccoon - 11/01/21 08:40 PM

Whatever you are doing to only get one raccoon at your feeder, please feel free to share the secret.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: KK30RAR

Re: Pesky Raccoon - 11/01/21 09:55 PM

Thermal and my 17hmr took care of 9 of these critters over several weekends [Linked Image]

Re: Pesky Raccoon - 11/01/21 10:44 PM

Oh there are more than this one. I see a few of them eating up stray corn, but not many of them are acrobats. There are a ton of them around the area, so it would take a long time to put a dent on them. I’m going to try these strips from Amazon to see if they help.

Attached picture 37742E46-FF22-47FE-BCA0-442A2726ACE1.png
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Pesky Raccoon - 11/01/21 11:01 PM

I've used those strips. They work. But I would also trap for a few nights. My best results have always been right before a rainstorm comes in overnight. A mess to clean up the traps, but I know there'll be something in them. Dry cat food in a Duke's.

I also use PVC on chains over the legs on a regular feeder, septic lateral line plastic over the winch pole on a winch up. It slows the dumb ones down. The "Eliminator Plate" is another option, but, you have to keep it lubed and, I have an aversion to it 'cause there was a zealot on here a while ago that railed against anyone that used anything else. He is no longer with us. roflmao rofl (And back on his meds, I understand. cool )

Re: Pesky Raccoon - 11/01/21 11:57 PM

Appreciate the insight folks!
Posted By: bholt

Re: Pesky Raccoon - 11/06/21 03:10 PM

Iv'e tried the strips and good luck, but DP Coon traps DO work as maximum says you can find good prices on ebay. I will say this secure them very well otherwise your going to show up and be missing a coon and trap, believe me I know. flag
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Pesky Raccoon - 11/06/21 09:37 PM

Get em
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Pesky Raccoon - 11/07/21 02:37 PM

One coon would have been a blessing the year I had this problem. Duke DP traps took care of the majority of them though. Bandaids only help with part of the issue...the main issue is to many coons so controlling the numbers is the solution.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JDH875

Re: Pesky Raccoon - 12/02/21 06:19 PM

I’ve had good success with ziptying carpet tack strips all the way around the legs of the feeder. Those suckers are sharp and hurt their paws. Worked well for us and it’s a cheap fix.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Pesky Raccoon - 12/25/21 01:45 AM

Good lord look at em all
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum