Texas Hunting Forum

Corn Feeder pen question

Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Corn Feeder pen question - 08/16/21 09:23 PM

Not a big pen, but say just a cattle-panel close up around the feeder to keep the cows off. Anybody do this? Stand-&-fill with an eliminator plate so the throw will be pretty decent. I realize there will be corn under the feeder they can't get to.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Corn Feeder pen question - 08/16/21 11:31 PM

The corn under the feeder will make them crazy and want it even more.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Corn Feeder pen question - 08/17/21 12:00 PM

I would think the coons would get most of the corn directly under the feeder if it starts to pile up.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Corn Feeder pen question - 08/17/21 06:32 PM

Size matter significantly when using pens.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Corn Feeder pen question - 08/17/21 06:38 PM

I would take 3 hog panels. Cut one in half and make a 8'x16' rectangular pen. That way a deer or two can jump into the pen and eat corn if they want. You can even make it a bit wider in the middle and a bit more "rounded" in shape instead of rectangle shaped.

Re: Corn Feeder pen question - 08/17/21 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Not if all I'm fencing is the feeder itself; I'm talking like 4'x4', just outside the frame of the feeder, to keep cows from bashing it. I'm trying to avoid 10 panels plus associated Tposts for both monetary and installation-time reasons. Also, I'd like the flexibility to move it around if I want.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Corn Feeder pen question - 08/17/21 10:40 PM

coons and squirrels gotta eat too ...
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Corn Feeder pen question - 08/17/21 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Not if all I'm fencing is the feeder itself; I'm talking like 4'x4', just outside the frame of the feeder, to keep cows from bashing it. I'm trying to avoid 10 panels plus associated Tposts for both monetary and installation-time reasons. Also, I'd like the flexibility to move it around if I want.

Find an old round trampoline frame or round bale feeder ring.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Corn Feeder pen question - 08/18/21 12:19 AM

Assuming that the purpose of a "normal" feeder pen is to keep hogs/cows from eating corn and also physically protect the feeder from same animals, then, I think your idea would serve half those purposes. Certainly a lot easier, cheaper and more mobile, so if half the job is enough, then I think its a novel idea. up
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Corn Feeder pen question - 08/18/21 12:55 AM

I fenced off a tall 3 legged feeder once with panels cut to tie onto the feeder legs. It was just to keep a couple aggressive, tall cows from tearing up the mechanism hanging from the bottom of the barrel. I watched a small buck jump into that fenced triangle and eat the corn directly under the feeder. If there’s a will, there’s a way.

Re: Corn Feeder pen question - 08/18/21 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
I fenced off a tall 3 legged feeder once with panels cut to tie onto the feeder legs. It was just to keep a couple aggressive, tall cows from tearing up the mechanism hanging from the bottom of the barrel. I watched a small buck jump into that fenced triangle and eat the corn directly under the feeder. If there’s a will, there’s a way.

Thats amazing. I would never dream they would do that. Did you shred inside that pen? Asking for a friend.....
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Corn Feeder pen question - 08/18/21 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by freerange
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket

Thats amazing. I would never dream they would do that. Did you shred inside that pen? Asking for a friend.....

No need for shredding, buffle grass was kept trampled down by the acrobatic buck.

Re: Corn Feeder pen question - 08/18/21 03:41 PM

Assuming that the purpose of a "normal" feeder pen is to keep hogs/cows from eating corn and also physically protect the feeder from same animals, then, I think your idea would serve half those purposes. Certainly a lot easier, cheaper and more mobile, so if half the job is enough, then I think its a novel idea. up

We don't have many hogs and a cow's mouth is too large for them to effectively pick up corn very well. Could they come by and trample it some? Yes, but I suspect the deer will have eaten most of it by the time they get there.

One of the feeders will likely be inside a 10 acre oat field. The field fence is decent but the occasional cow may venture in, and this will protect the feeder from roving interlopers.

Re: Corn Feeder pen question - 08/18/21 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

We don't have many hogs and a cow's mouth is too large for them to effectively pick up corn very well. Could they come by and trample it some? Yes, but I suspect the deer will have eaten most of it by the time they get there.

One of the feeders will likely be inside a 10 acre oat field. The field fence is decent but the occasional cow may venture in, and this will protect the feeder from roving interlopers.

Ive always thought that a cow had a real hard time getting enough corn to make it worth their while. I just never had a problem with cows eating corn from our throw feeders. Then suddenly one day a bunch of em started eating the corn and it was a bother. It seems that some will get after it and then others wont. confused2
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum