Texas Hunting Forum

Big Dogg Deer Blinds - Review???

Posted By: B_Man

Big Dogg Deer Blinds - Review??? - 12/29/20 12:46 PM

I know some hunters on this forum have purchased some Big Dogg Deer Blinds,
so I thought I would ask how well they like them and provide any comments/review
on those deer blinds.

thanks
Posted By: WTN

Re: Big Dogg Deer Blinds - Review??? - 12/29/20 08:05 PM

Bought 3 back in January and hunted this season out of them. No complaints at all. We left the back shelf off which added more room, otherwise the 4X6 would be tight. I posted pics in this thread:

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...true/re-big-dogg-deer-blinds#Post7903346

Re: Big Dogg Deer Blinds - Review??? - 12/29/20 09:00 PM

thanks WTN for the response and link. I have a couple more questions:

1. I thought getting the door on 6' side was standard and getting it on then was an extra??

2. on your pictures - (the 2nd picture shows it on the ground) is that the standard way they come??

3. did you actually take the shelf off yourself or have it made that way?

4. fit 2 guys in it with no problem??

the reason for my 2nd question is that we are considering putting the blind on some cinder blocks because it is on a high place already.

thanks again

Re: Big Dogg Deer Blinds - Review??? - 12/29/20 11:05 PM

1. I thought getting the door on 6' side was standard and getting it on then was an extra?? Not sure what is standard but the owner, Matt Baker, didn’t charge extra for it on the 6’ side. All the photos I’ve seen had the door on the 4’ side though.

2. on your pictures - (the 2nd picture shows it on the ground) is that the standard way they come?? Yes, that is on the standard base.

3. did you actually take the shelf off yourself or have it made that way? We asked the the shelf be left off during the build but it could easily be removed afterwards.

4. fit 2 guys in it with no problem?? Yes, it can easily accommodate 2 adults and also isn’t too large that 1 person can’t cover both side windows.

the reason for my 2nd question is that we are considering putting the blind on some cinder blocks because it is on a high place already.

thanks again

[/quote]

We wanted something lightweight that could be moved and erected from the bed of a truck. This certainly fit the bill.

Re: Big Dogg Deer Blinds - Review??? - 12/29/20 11:10 PM

I should add that the floor is wood which may turn some off. The window height also seems a few inches low but as long as you have an adjustable chair, it isn’t a big issue.

Re: Big Dogg Deer Blinds - Review??? - 12/30/20 03:03 AM

We also were looking for something that could be unloaded/moved from the truck
Thanks so much for taking the time to help me with the questions.
I also appreciate the note about the floor. thanks again
Posted By: Judd

Re: Big Dogg Deer Blinds - Review??? - 12/30/20 08:12 PM

This is my second season in my 4x6 on a 12ft platform (platform not from Big Dogg). I like it, just wish it was bigger. They are about 4” on each side short, I wish that wasn’t the case and I wish I had bought a true 6x6.

My door is on the 6ft side and I left the shelf on the back window, the deer forced me to get curtains and I added an eight inch wide shelf above the front window. Perfect for getting the buddy heater off the floor and extra bottles from being kicked.

I’d buy another one and might this off season.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Big Dogg Deer Blinds - Review??? - 12/30/20 08:55 PM

I have a KanTex 5x7 which is measured inside. All fiber glass, windows are better than DeerView, has an RV style door. In 3 or 4 years the only issue I’ve had was a woodpecker, zero bugs, zero water, very warm. I think it weighs 200 pounds, so very easy to move. Wasn’t cheap, I think it was $2,300. I would buy again.

https://kantexdeerblinds.com/

Re: Big Dogg Deer Blinds - Review??? - 12/31/20 12:56 PM

Judd and BigPig- thanks for your feedback. I had never heard of Kantex so I learned something new for sure.
IMHO - the thing that attracted me to the BigDogg was the cost and weight. I know others would say you get what you pay for
but we don't need a Taj-Mahal type deer blind and save a little money in these tough times. About 90% of the time the blind
would only have 1 hunter in it but there would be times someone may bring a wife in or a child or grandchild to start to learn
to hunt. Being able to move it easily was another factor because you never know when you could lose your hunting place or
just move the blind to another area.

thanks again for your feedback and comments.

Re: Big Dogg Deer Blinds - Review??? - 12/31/20 08:27 PM

B_Man... I don’t have experience with Big Dog, that’s why I offered a suggestion for KanTex. They aren’t cheap, but they fit my needs at the time. I won’t even say they are the best, but it’s been good for a few years. Like anything that sits out in the elements 365 days a year, it requires maintenance and will be getting some fiberglass patch work and a paint job this off season, along with ditching the wood base in favor of metal.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Big Dogg Deer Blinds - Review??? - 01/01/21 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by BigPig
B Like anything that sits out in the elements 365 days a year, it requires maintenance

That is why I bought the Big Dogg....everything except the floor is metal, there is no maintenance. The camo metal has a 20-30 year warranty for fading so I think the camo will be good long term too.

I’ve paid attention and I’ve never seen the bottom side of the floor wet. I’ll be surprised if I ever have to replace it.

Re: Big Dogg Deer Blinds - Review??? - 01/02/21 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Judd
Originally Posted by BigPig
B Like anything that sits out in the elements 365 days a year, it requires maintenance

That is why I bought the Big Dogg....everything except the floor is metal, there is no maintenance. The camo metal has a 20-30 year warranty for fading so I think the camo will be good long term too.

I’ve paid attention and I’ve never seen the bottom side of the floor wet. I’ll be surprised if I ever have to replace it.

Metal has seams, those seams need maintenance or they will leak. Best thing for any material of blinds is to coat it in bed liner
Posted By: Sprman

Re: Big Dogg Deer Blinds - Review??? - 01/14/21 02:52 PM

I have two of them, both 4x6's. Overall I'm happy with them from this season. One is on a set of skids to make it portable (Probably gonna cut them off to elevate that blind) and the other is already elevated. Removed rear shelf in both. I do wish i would have gone to a 6x6 sometimes, but it's usually just me in the stand so it's not a big deal. Me and the wife fit in it just fine. One of them was actually blown over by a huge storm that came through with a front. We had it tied down on all 4 corners and when we went to the stand, the t-post were all still in the ground and bent over. We had some serious winds that day. it's bent a few things on the leg supports, and only broke one window. Overall the blind held up great for the fall it took. Matt's already gonna replace the window and help me fix a few items as well. Very pleased with the blinds and service from Matt and his guys.

As for maintenance, everything will need it at some point, metal, fiberglass, wood, whatever. ALL require some kind of maintenance. But i don't see these needing much over the years.

Re: Big Dogg Deer Blinds - Review??? - 01/15/21 02:31 AM

thanks for the information Sprman
Posted By: TXB4

Re: Big Dogg Deer Blinds - Review??? - 02/08/21 05:47 PM

Planned on getting one this week. I was a little disappointed with the measurements (was hoping the 4'x6' was internal). I'll probably keep it on the ground this year and then look at adding a tower/ladder next year. I also wanted to support someone from my community, so I'm glad to hear some good reviews. Thanks for the info all.
Posted By: MI Hunter

Re: Big Dogg Deer Blinds - Review??? - 05/30/21 04:47 PM

Following. I’m looking at the 6x6 for a new lease this year. Haven’t heard anything bad bout them
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum