Texas Hunting Forum

Need advice on feeder

Posted By: Sewer rat

Need advice on feeder - 12/07/20 01:51 AM

I am new to this game and need some corn feeders for my place. Prefer a broadcast type as I don’t mind feeding the hogs too. Cost isn’t really a concern but I don’t want to go too crazy. Mainly I just want something quality that will work, last, and do what it supposed to without giving me trouble.

When I purchased the property it had three game winner feeders on it and they seem pretty poor quality. The feeders seem to just have a photo eye and no timer.

One of the feeders is pretty nice it is a Ranch King Mighty Midget. Thinking of maybe buying some more of them?

Any recommendations?

I
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Need advice on feeder - 12/07/20 02:08 AM

I think for the price, the stand and fill feeders at Buccees are hard to beat. $399 and I am on year 2 on one of mine with zero problems. Price includes solar panel and easy to use timer.

Re: Need advice on feeder - 12/07/20 02:10 AM

Closest Buccees to me is about 6 hours away unfortunately.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Need advice on feeder - 12/07/20 02:20 AM

Give us your rough location and I'm sure some folks will present several good options.

Re: Need advice on feeder - 12/07/20 02:34 AM

Lubbock
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Need advice on feeder - 12/07/20 03:18 AM

Look at the All Seasons stand and fill. Great feeders. We bought the 600 lb and you don’t had to fill monthly. Thing shoots some corn now I tell you. Remember spinning 5 seconds twice a day is about 2 lbs of corn daily.

Check em out.
Posted By: Lotto

Re: Need advice on feeder - 12/07/20 03:39 AM

All season makes a great inexpensive feeder motor with timer and solar panel if you want.......have 4 and been running strong for going on 8 years..........got to the All Season website and you can order from it. I hunt on our farm up in Dumont...just down tha roaD

Re: Need advice on feeder - 12/07/20 05:47 AM

Thanks for the replies. Locally I found some Texas Wildlife Products Old timer 600 lb feeders. I’m going to check them out in the morning. I need to get something going quick I don’t even think the feeders that are there work.
Posted By: B_Man

Re: Need advice on feeder - 12/07/20 01:02 PM

Here's another opinion:

I like the Buccees feeder for the price but you have to make sure you get one of the newer models
that have the motor wires somewhat covered to keep raccoons from tearing them up. You also
have to make sure the gap where the timer and battery go and the main section of the feeder
is closed so corn does not go into that section. Lot of details around the feeder on this forum.
You have to add some cross bracing if you have pigs because they can tear the feeder plates up - they are thin.

I do not like the cages on feeders like the All Season Feeders because it knocks down corn that can pile up close to the feeder.

Feeders with the plates and no cages are what hunters believe is the new technology such as Llamco feeders. That is what I prefer and like. They are pricey like the
ASF feeders but a lot stronger and sturdier. There is a dealer (Pawn Shop) in Childress Texas that sells the Llamco feeders and other
hunting equipment. Then down the street in Childress at the Hardware store they sell ASF feeders. You could go and look at both then
select which one you like. That is only about 2 hours away. Hope this helps.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Need advice on feeder - 12/07/20 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lotto
All season makes a great inexpensive feeder motor with timer and solar panel if you want.......have 4 and been running strong for going on 8 years..........got to the All Season website and you can order from it. I hunt on our farm up in Dumont...just down tha roaD
Posted By: Judd

Re: Need advice on feeder - 12/09/20 04:51 PM

Look up Ramball here on the forum and buy either his 600lb or 1000lb feeders. It is a buy once cry once feeder...great stout feeder that your kids will have for years wink
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Need advice on feeder - 12/09/20 05:02 PM

Ramball is quality.
Posted By: Homer75

Re: Need advice on feeder - 12/13/20 06:36 PM

Honestly, I went through a few feeders over the years and now I’m on year 3 with a Lamco Low and Throw. I love being able to open the lid and filling without even having to crawl into the back of my buggy. I like the varmint guard and I’ve never seen a cow/bull able to mess with it and do any damage. There’s nothing left on the varmint guard plates so the cattle just keep going. Once you see how well they are made then you can see this is a feeder that will last decades. I don’t think I’ll ever buy a different spinner feeder again, I’m looking at getting at least 2 more.

Now, the negative I’ve seen is, being a stand and feed feeder, you won’t be able to shoot under/through the bottom of the feeder. If you want to move it around, you kinda need to wait for the corn to go down a bit. I have the 1k# feeder and it’s heavy on the feeder to go and move it with the tractor forks.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Need advice on feeder - 12/16/20 07:39 PM

All Seasons Stand n Fill or Lamco Low n Throw.

Charlie
Posted By: Texas452

Re: Need advice on feeder - 12/16/20 10:32 PM

I have used on time feeders over the years there timers don’t keep the best time and u need to keep battery holder clean but all n all they have been pretty durable
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum