Texas Hunting Forum

DEER PROTEIN

Posted By: DLALLDER

DEER PROTEIN - 10/20/20 05:41 PM

Thinking about a free choice feeder with protein, where can it be bought and cost? Thanks Daniel
Posted By: PMK

Re: DEER PROTEIN - 10/20/20 09:18 PM

I would look hard at the GreenGo protein feeders ... Greengo Feeders
Posted By: DoubleDrop32

Re: DEER PROTEIN - 10/21/20 02:07 AM

Boss buck has some good options as well. You can buy the spin kit and make it a spin kit later on.

Bossbuck.com
Posted By: BubRay

Re: DEER PROTEIN - 10/21/20 12:08 PM

Go bigger than you think you’ll need unless you live close and can fill often. Also get ready to spend some $$. That protein isn’t cheap!

I’ll second boss buck feeders. They work great and are easy to set up or move for one man.

Re: DEER PROTEIN - 10/21/20 02:05 PM

That protein isn’t cheap!

BubRay, tell me what the going price is on the protein, please. Daniel
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: DEER PROTEIN - 10/21/20 02:13 PM

Generally looking at around $11-$12 per 50lbs. for 16%and $12-$13 per 50 lbs. for 18-20% at most feed stores...May get a small discount, $.50-$1 a bag off on that if buying bulk.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: DEER PROTEIN - 10/21/20 02:53 PM

FMC in Graham is 11.99 for 20% 50lb bag
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: DEER PROTEIN - 10/21/20 04:52 PM

Look at Texas Hunter Products. Lightweight, easy to move when needed AND durable. Plus, you can fill it from your tailgate (a big plus).
Posted By: Sparta

Re: DEER PROTEIN - 10/21/20 06:52 PM

I'm in the camp of buy as big a feeder as you can afford. We have 1500 lb feeders and have to go every 5-6 weeks to refill. It really depends on how often you can get out to the ranch to keep them full. We got our feeders from Fredonia Peanut Company just south of Brady/Voca off Hwy 71 (great people to work with). I think they were right at 1K, heavy duty that should last a lifetime. We get our feed in bulk from them a well. I think the price comes out to around $10 dollars per 50lbs (not positive on the exact number).
Posted By: BubRay

Re: DEER PROTEIN - 10/22/20 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Generally looking at around $11-$12 per 50lbs. for 16%and $12-$13 per 50 lbs. for 18-20% at most feed stores...May get a small discount, $.50-$1 a bag off on that if buying bulk.

Yup. This is about right
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: DEER PROTEIN - 10/22/20 03:01 AM

There are a lot of stand and fill protein feeders out there or even lower profile large capacity ones. If it where me feeding on a low fence lease I would look at getting a timered trough style or regulated protein feeder. You can feed as much as you want or limit it to a dollar budget if you wanted to. You can feed during the daylight hours during hunting season also and feed year round. Protein costs are going to be based on where you are in relation to a feed mill. Down here I can get 16% for $10-11/bag and 20% for $11-12/bag from Lyssy and Eckel. Lot of larger feed stores have feed trailers you can rent and buy bulk protein and corn from to fill your feeders also. Some even offer a feeder filling service. If I am limit feeding thru a timered feeder I would not feed 16% but feed a high end 20% with a great mineral package in it.

Re: DEER PROTEIN - 10/25/20 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
There are a lot of stand and fill protein feeders out there or even lower profile large capacity ones. If it where me feeding on a low fence lease I would look at getting a timered trough style or regulated protein feeder. You can feed as much as you want or limit it to a dollar budget if you wanted to. You can feed during the daylight hours during hunting season also and feed year round. Protein costs are going to be based on where you are in relation to a feed mill. Down here I can get 16% for $10-11/bag and 20% for $11-12/bag from Lyssy and Eckel. Lot of larger feed stores have feed trailers you can rent and buy bulk protein and corn from to fill your feeders also. Some even offer a feeder filling service. If I am limit feeding thru a timered feeder I would not feed 16% but feed a high end 20% with a great mineral package in it.

Steve, when you have the time, fill me in with brand names of the timed trough & regulated feeders and any other additional information on them. Pm me if you wish. Thanks Daniel
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum