Texas Hunting Forum

Hanging feeder

Posted By: Biscuit

Hanging feeder - 04/16/20 05:53 PM

Does anyone use a feeder that hangs from a tree anymore ?
Posted By: PMK

Re: Hanging feeder - 04/16/20 07:23 PM

not much any more ... my dad used a lag screw into a black walnut tree to hold a boat winch in place with cable up to a pulley chained over a heavy limb and down to a 7 gallon bucket and another similar set up to a 120 lb grease drum sized feeder. both feeders had short legs to provide support when lowered for filling. My first game camera found that the coons loved playing acrobatics on the short lower legs while spinning the spin plate and could empty the feeder in one night on both sizes.

the system worked very well (other than it was before eliminator plates and coon cages) ... not sure I would trust it for a full sized 55 gallon barrel full of corn at least not supported by the single lag bolt.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Hanging feeder - 04/17/20 12:07 AM

Not since I left East Texas. It's an absolute advantage doing so in E Texas though.

Just as effective as hand throwing corn in my opinion.
Posted By: Lalo

Re: Hanging feeder - 04/18/20 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by titan2232
Not since I left East Texas. It's an absolute advantage doing so in E Texas though.

Why is it particularly effective in East Texas? I'm wondering because my deer seem to be getting shy around my stand-and-fill feeder, and I am wondering if putting a feeder up in a tree or even just on a tripod would do enough to stop spooking the deer.

Re: Hanging feeder - 04/18/20 03:12 PM

I used it in East Texas only because the pigs kept knocking over every other feeder I tried
Posted By: PMK

Re: Hanging feeder - 04/20/20 02:27 PM

the ones I mentioned were in Central TX ... only reason I go with winch or tripod style is for the larger size barrel ... I have seen 55 gallon barrel hanging feeders though. I would think as long as you have a heavy enough limb they would work in any part of the state.

I am not sure why the deer would shy away from a stand and fill style unless they might have been standing around the feeder when it went off and got pelted with corn. I know my 12 volt feeders sting when they sling corn!!!
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Hanging feeder - 04/20/20 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Lalo
Originally Posted by titan2232

Why is it particularly effective in East Texas? I'm wondering because my deer seem to be getting shy around my stand-and-fill feeder, and I am wondering if putting a feeder up in a tree or even just on a tripod would do enough to stop spooking the deer.

In my experience deer seldom look up for danger unless it's a chopper.

I had really good luck string a feeder 15 foot in a tree, but I'd imagine it wouldn't be east with a 55 gallon drum. All I ever done was a metal 5 gallon and it worked like a champ getting the deer eating in legal shooting times.

I also melted rubber to the spinner plate surface so the feeder would make less noise when throwing.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Hanging feeder - 04/20/20 11:45 PM

Could be the deer are staying away from the feeder because there is so much natural vegetation out there. I think that is a reason the deer traffic has slowed down in my area.
Posted By: brokenpole

Re: Hanging feeder - 04/22/20 12:48 AM

If I have a good tree I will use the 300 lb I have, Coon’s hate it
Posted By: 270Sendero

Re: Hanging feeder - 05/03/20 12:28 AM

We still have 4 on our place in Jack county. I use a double pulley system and they work great.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Hanging feeder - 05/05/20 03:18 AM

Our wind blows too much, the swinging would empty a buck every day.
Posted By: CGB

Re: Hanging feeder - 05/06/20 10:41 AM

[Linked Image]

We have several like this on my lease in SE Oklahoma. Spinner unit has to be 10-12 ft high to keep the bears from tearing them up.

Re: Hanging feeder - 05/06/20 09:49 PM

Very nice
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Hanging feeder - 05/18/20 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Thekitch
Very nice

X2
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum