Texas Hunting Forum

My EZ Fill Corn Feeder

Posted By: BayouGuy

My EZ Fill Corn Feeder - 02/23/20 09:23 PM

Here’s my EZ Fill corn feeder with a built in ladder. The build required five 8’ treated 2x4”, two 10’ lengths of ½” EMT, two 24” lengths of angle iron (to anchor ladder legs) and a handful of ¼” galvanized nuts & bolts, and 16D galvanized nails.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: My EZ Fill Corn Feeder - 02/23/20 10:12 PM

What’s the little quad pod looking thing at the edge of the field?

Feeder looks good
Posted By: 603Country

Re: My EZ Fill Corn Feeder - 02/23/20 10:28 PM

Might want to call it an EZ fill Coon feeder (and squirrels) unless you cage the thrower. Those critters will spin that thrower happily.

Re: My EZ Fill Corn Feeder - 02/23/20 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
What’s the little quad pod looking thing at the edge of the field?

Buckeye, that's a game camera in a box. I've found my cameras last forever if protected from direct sunlight. The one on that plot is sized for and contains a Browning Strike Force camera. I don't have a picture of that one, but here's one I made for an old Moultrie camera.

[Linked Image]

You're right about those critters 603Country. I do have a cage guard for it. I haven't put it on yet because I'm playing around with an experimental battery powered shocker that will zap a critter when it touches the EMT supports.

Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: My EZ Fill Corn Feeder - 02/24/20 12:05 AM

That's a great idea for protecting your game cam.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: My EZ Fill Corn Feeder - 02/24/20 12:54 AM

Every plastic barrel feeder or plastic lid I have ever tried has had squirrels or field rats chew holes into it. Any edge or ridge they can get a start on with their teeth, they work at until they are through it. Then the coons finish it. I do feed year round and the damage is usually done during warmer months when there is less hunting activity. The only plastic barrel feeders I still use are a couple that hang so nothing can reach them other than down the cable from above, but even then I had to put big commercial deep pizza pans over the tops because the top edges of the barrel openings got chewed through.

Re: My EZ Fill Corn Feeder - 02/24/20 01:05 AM

That's interesting Sniper John. We have 21 small food plots on our ten-man 900 acre lease. Every one of those plots has a plastic barrel feeder on it for at least a dozen years. Never had anything chew holes in any of them. Those critters in north Texas must be tougher than ours.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum