Texas Hunting Forum

Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8

Posted By: noose

Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 01/20/20 01:18 PM

I'm looking for a 6x8 blind that is very reasonably priced. I'll put it on a stand maybe 4-6 feet. It needs to have some kind of legit windows to seal up so I don't have rot and/or wasps galore in the first few weeks of putting it up. Anyone offering deals out there right now?

I would build something but I simply do not have time.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 01/20/20 01:59 PM

Anything other than wood in that size is probably going to run you about $2000+ or so for the box alone and with a 4-6' stand you're probably looking at about 2500+.

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 01/20/20 08:52 PM

Hmmm... Perhaps I'll build a 4x8 instead and just buy the brackets and put it up myself. I think there's maybe 400 or so materials to build one. If I go 4x8, it's a single sheet of plywood...

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 01/20/20 09:14 PM

Yeah, the price of new fabricated blinds and any size tower have really gotten up there; over the past 3-4 years I have picked up a light used 4x6 Monarch on 6' stand and 4x6 Dillon on 12' stand in the THF classifieds for roughly 30-40% the price of new from some leaving leases or simply wanting to go a different direction. Keep your eyes open and be ready with trailer and cash in hand when those arise!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 01/21/20 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Yeah, the price of new fabricated blinds and any size tower have really gotten up there; over the past 3-4 years I have picked up a light used 4x6 Monarch on 6' stand and 4x6 Dillon on 12' stand in the THF classifieds for roughly 30-40% the price of new from some leaving leases or simply wanting to go a different direction. Keep your eyes open and be ready with trailer and cash in hand when those arise!

up
Posted By: Lotto

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 01/21/20 04:07 AM

In Austin...…… bigfootoutdoorsco.com
Posted By: RWHunting

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 01/21/20 09:26 PM

pm sent
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 01/21/20 09:59 PM

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/spo/d/camp-wood-hunting-equipment/7058120133.html

Keep an eye on CraigsList
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 01/21/20 11:03 PM

Where are you located?
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 01/22/20 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by noose
I'm looking for a 6x8 blind that is very reasonably priced. I'll put it on a stand maybe 4-6 feet. It needs to have some kind of legit windows to seal up so I don't have rot and/or wasps galore in the first few weeks of putting it up. Anyone offering deals out there right now?

I would build something but I simply do not have time.

I built a 4x6 with 3 Deerview windows (12" x 36"). Included paint, sealant, trim, carpet, etc for $600. Sits on a 4 foot stand. But it took a few hours each night for a couple of weeks.

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 01/24/20 03:59 PM

Ok, I'm going all in, lol. I'm going to buy a custom 6x8 metal platform, 6' elevated, from the guy here and have a 24" ledge with metal ladder so getting in/out of the door will be easier. I'll take that out to the property and set it up, level it, and guy line it down. I've created a simple but effective 6x8 lean to shed design using a CAD tool that I can build in sections and take out there. With 6x8, I'll be able to pull overnighters any time I want and not get eaten alive by mosquitoes. Not sure if the wife will be all in on that idea or not but it will make any time hog time.
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 01/29/20 02:31 PM

The Blynd is a cheaper option.

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 01/29/20 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by sbushee
The Blynd is a cheaper option.

They don't make a 6x8. I'm going big so I don't have to go home, lol. Also, those are made with EMT conduit. I wouldn't put a traditional framing building on top of EMT... Mine will be significantly more robust. Once I'm done, I'll post the cad file if anyone wants it. It'll be 3 or 4 months to build, at least.

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 01/29/20 03:51 PM

Check out Big Country blinds...they make a 5x7 and 5x8 both are fiberglass. They make rifle or bow only or combo blinds of various sizes. I know Mumme's in Hondo stocks their blinds and think they are made in Brownwood. They make 5' and 10' towers also for their blinds. They are one the better priced manufactured blinds I have found. I priced a 5'x6' Half Hex combo blind on a 10' tower that was just over $2900 about 2 weeks ago from Mumme's. You can check for other dealers around the state.

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 01/29/20 03:56 PM

About like I said, $2500 and north of there....

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 01/29/20 07:47 PM

So my base with an extended "deck" so I can get in/out when elevated without having to step directly on the stairs along with a bolt-on 6' ladder will be $750. That's all welded up and painted. I'll have about 250 in lumber, 250 in windows, and 125 in a door. All in, I'll be about 1500 with screws, paint, etc. I don't think I could buy any cheaper than that.

And, yes, DQ, you were right. I started pricing and figured I'd just build and get EXACTLY what I want.

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 01/29/20 10:31 PM

Always cheaper to build your own and you get it like you want it. Yours is going to be very heavy out of lumber in a 6'x8' size. You building it on the location is it going to be sitting or do you have a tractor with a FIL? In 2012 I built 3-4'x6' ground blinds out of lumber and hardieboard. I think I built all 3 for around $1100 total. They were very heavy and took two of us to slide them off the trailer and onto the ground. I built them one at a time on the trailer or I don't think I could have loaded them on the trailer without a tractor with a FIL.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 01/30/20 01:32 PM

Check out the 6 foot circle blinds at RealBark. With the exterior being plastic, they are durable, easy to assemble with a buddy and best of all, easy to move around if so needed.

The elitists on my place call it the trash can blind. Whatever. They didn't pay for it and they do not get to sit it in it. I have been using this stand and blind for twenty plus years. the 6 foot circle creates a ton of room. Tied down with a center stake, it is also extremely stable.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 01/30/20 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
Always cheaper to build your own and you get it like you want it. Yours is going to be very heavy out of lumber in a 6'x8' size. You building it on the location is it going to be sitting or do you have a tractor with a FIL? In 2012 I built 3-4'x6' ground blinds out of lumber and hardieboard. I think I built all 3 for around $1100 total. They were very heavy and took two of us to slide them off the trailer and onto the ground. I built them one at a time on the trailer or I don't think I could have loaded them on the trailer without a tractor with a FIL.

LOL ... I had a flash back from over 35 years ago on the first stand I ever built, a 4x4 using 2x4 studs and 1/2 plywood sides and roof, then put asphalt shingles on to waterproof it better. built it all in my garage and had to load it by myself in the bed of my truck, I about burst a gut since I didn't have access to a FIL. It was hell for stout. I have since made a few more but got smarter on the build and have FIL.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 01/30/20 05:47 PM

You've obviously never seen me build something. I did not get any of my dad's or uncle's carpentry genes.

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 01/30/20 10:22 PM

I'll be building in sections and trailering it out to the property. I'll assemble it in place with some help. At least that's the plan, lol. I have a tractor with an FEL (Front End Loader). What's an FIL? I've got all kinds of tractor attachments. Never heard of one of those.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 01/30/20 10:42 PM

It's a father-in-law. They don't do much work, but they're excellent at telling you how you SHOULD be doing it.

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 01/30/20 11:51 PM

I'll be building in sections and trailering it out to the property. I'll assemble it in place with some help. At least that's the plan, lol. I have a tractor with an FEL (Front End Loader). What's an FIL? I've got all kinds of tractor attachments. Never heard of one of those.

hammer typing too fast for me ... yes, FEL for my post as well hammer

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 01/31/20 12:32 AM

It is Polish for FEL grin Typo from an old man not once but twice... roflmao

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 01/31/20 03:09 PM

I feel your pain stxranchman, I was guilty twice as well ... hammer

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 01/31/20 03:17 PM

Lol, it's all good. I was hoping it was something cool I didn't have yet, lol. I love my tractor.

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 03/02/20 01:05 AM

Back for a little update. I picked up the stand this past weekend and it is exceptionally well made with a bolt on ladder. 6x8 is BIG. I was going to build traditional stick frame with 2x4's, it is so sturdy and has cross members so I think I may just bolt a couple sheets of plywood directly to it. I'm definitely thinking about lessening up the floor joists as they are overkill.

I'll post up some pix in the next day or so.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 03/03/20 12:45 AM

I guess its too late now but 6x8 is really really big. You must have several kids to put in there. I just hate to have to call uber to get from one window to the next. It will also be extremely heavy if you ever have to deal with moving it around. Enough negativity by me, you are building it like you want so it should turn out good for what you want. Good luck.
Posted By: DoubleDrop32

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 03/03/20 01:27 AM

Check out the muddy bull blind. Made here in texas. Fully carpeted and insulated. Most comfortable blind I’ve ever been in. Available at bucees, Atwood’s or they will deliver the blind to you. Check it out at gomuddy.com
Posted By: BB2020

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 03/03/20 04:35 PM

So my base with an extended "deck" so I can get in/out when elevated without having to step directly on the stairs along with a bolt-on 6' ladder will be $750. That's all welded up and painted. I'll have about 250 in lumber, 250 in windows, and 125 in a door. All in, I'll be about 1500 with screws, paint, etc. I don't think I could buy any cheaper than that.

And, yes, DQ, you were right. I started pricing and figured I'd just build and get EXACTLY what I want.

You can get a Maverick 6-Shooter blind with their platform and decking for stairs for about that price and save a lot of time and it has a 10 year warranty on the blind. I've had mine out for 8 years in Kansas and it looks like the day I put it out. You could also just buy the blind and just build your own platform and stairs.
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 03/03/20 07:16 PM

Krivoman or Maverick are right at a grand - hard to beat that price even when building your own.

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 03/03/20 11:00 PM

Those are both good looking blinds but the 1K ish price for the blind doesn't include a stand and I still would have to build or buy that part. It looks like the maverick stand plus stairs is about $600 or so plus lumber? 380+280 plus lumber? call it 700? That's about where I'm at including all steel... Am I missing something?

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 03/09/20 08:53 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: B_Man

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 03/10/20 12:05 PM

If you are getting a Maverick blind and a steel stand for about $700 or even up to $900 then please post some links
because when I did a search the blind on their website was about $900 and did not include a steel stand.
Getting one for $700-$900 is a good deal and I would like to look into that myself. One thing I did not see was the
wooden floor material cost but I may have missed that.

Tblack- I like your blind and stand if you have some prices and a link that would be helpful also.

Many thanks guys, because I am looking for 1 new stand this year.

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 03/10/20 01:03 PM

B_Man - Go to https://shop.gomuddy.com

PM me for more details and where to find them. They are first class. The one pictured is a bull blind - Retail is about $2,800 with the 5' tower and about $3K with a 10' tower

These are higher priced but they are fully insulated and very quiet. In my opinion, it is worth every penny.

They are located in Irving, TX and do offer deliveries

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 03/10/20 04:07 PM

thanks Tblack- that is a little out of my budget.
Good information for others.

this looked like an amazing blind for the price but it is way up north.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/produc...YJsNkp2FG_ET6JD095bq2ohKAQYaAgxaEALw_wcB

I need to find a truck driver who goes up that way occasionally.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 03/22/20 05:29 AM

Sportsmans condo

https://sportsmanscondo.com/comparison-chart/

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 03/22/20 11:41 AM

thanks Doc- those look more like what my budget would allow.

You have to get your local Wal-Mart to order you one if you live in Texas or Oklahoma.

I wonder what the shipping cost is?

With the CV and other craziness going on right now there may be some good deals coming up.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 03/22/20 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by B_Man
thanks Doc- those look more like what my budget would allow.

You have to get your local Wal-Mart to order you one if you live in Texas or Oklahoma.

I wonder what the shipping cost is?

With the CV and other craziness going on right now there may be some good deals coming up.

I ordered from Outdoors for Less. For the SC4 (6' diameter circle) with shipping to my house was $1750 all in. They deliver on an 18 wheeler. They are running a sale right now....

https://www.outdoorsforless.com/hunting-blinds-all/all-deer-blinds.html

You need a decent sized tractor with front forks to set it up if you want 10' legs. Just use four, 4x4 posts as legs and brace between them.
Posted By: spg

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 03/23/20 05:56 PM

Antlershed blinds IMO are the best for the money, I bought 2 last year and will be replacing all of mine as needed.
Posted By: spg

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 03/23/20 05:58 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Good deals on blinds out there? 6x8 - 03/24/20 12:59 AM

Here’s my 8x6. I have a bed in it and overnight a good bit in the winter. I wouldn’t go any narrower than 6ft if you want to have the bed in it. I wish I had done 8 x 8.

I did do some overnighting in a 5x7 for a couple years, really tight.

[Linked Image]

Charlie
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum