Texas Hunting Forum

Mac's DIY Blind Build

Posted By: maktastik

Mac's DIY Blind Build - 12/05/19 04:16 PM

I finally decided to plan and build my own elevated deer blind this season. After piling on the hours looking over other blind builds, researching windows and materials, the work finally began. This is my first season having my own deer lease and what I inherited on the portion where I hunt was nothing more than an outhouse that I could not get in. I'm 6'4" and most of my hunting pals are my size or bigger so I took all this into consideration. I decided to start the layout in my garage with full intention of delivering to the lease and building on-site.

I decided to go with an elevated platform utilizing brackets from Elevators LLC (www.elevatorsllc.com). I also chose to go with windows and the door from The Original Deer Blind Windows Co (https://www.mcssl.com/store/theoriginaldeerblindwindowco). The wood all came from McCoys here in the Austin area with exception of the 2x3 studs I used for framing the walls.

There are definitely things I could have done better (like the stairs and perhaps fewer windows) but overall I'm happy with it. It's a blind I intend to hunt for years ahead and I wanted to make it comfortable enough for two big guys, my family, etc. The blind is 6x8 with 6'6" minimum clearance inside. I have two different shots out of this blind, one to the north and one to the south. At some point I will probably remove the side windows but for now they are staying. I need to figure out a way to cover those windows to darken the interior a bit.

I'll post progress pics here for you and answer any questions you may have and please feel free to make suggestions or comments! Thank you.

Attached picture IMG_2537.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2542.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2544.jpg
Attached picture 58966409673__8B08B917-90C4-4E44-81D9-712BE569AD1A.JPG
Attached picture 58966840212__C61C712F-6CF9-4D40-AD05-53FB792AF076.JPG

Re: Mac's DIY Blind Build - 12/05/19 04:27 PM

More pics...

Attached picture IMG_2760 (1).jpg
Attached picture IMG_2762 (2).jpg
Attached picture IMG_2764 (1).jpg
Attached picture IMG_2765 (1).jpg
Attached picture IMG_2785.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2786.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2817.jpg

Re: Mac's DIY Blind Build - 12/05/19 04:28 PM

More pics...

Attached picture IMG_0049.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0050.jpg

Re: Mac's DIY Blind Build - 12/05/19 04:30 PM

More pics...

Attached picture 59570656914__C2457C3D-AEEC-4279-B912-B82061A50538.JPG
Attached picture 59570657973__BE3C140D-67C0-4F3E-9BC6-3AE0B12C945F.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0591.jpg
Attached picture 59690920088__E6A76CBB-6121-498B-A356-3A0619DB74CD.JPG

Re: Mac's DIY Blind Build - 12/05/19 04:31 PM

Exterior finish pics...

Attached picture IMG_0044 (1).jpg
Attached picture IMG_0045 (1).jpg
Attached picture IMG_0047 (1).jpg
Attached picture IMG_0594.jpg
Posted By: KK30RAR

Re: Mac's DIY Blind Build - 12/05/19 04:41 PM

Excellent blind nice job
Posted By: PMK

Re: Mac's DIY Blind Build - 12/05/19 04:43 PM

up looks hell for stout ... lots a little details added
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Mac's DIY Blind Build - 12/05/19 05:47 PM

You did a great job. I can't do half as good. up
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Mac's DIY Blind Build - 12/05/19 06:18 PM

looks great. Get some heavy duty black trash bags to cover up the windows you do not want for now.

Re: Mac's DIY Blind Build - 12/05/19 07:08 PM

don’t get rid of any windows make some screens and use sun block screen material will be plenty dark and you can use those windows for ventilation plus keep the bugs out when the stand is occupied
Posted By: llbts1

Re: Mac's DIY Blind Build - 12/06/19 02:49 AM

I've made a few. You did a great job on that. Enjoy!!
Posted By: N.Tx

Re: Mac's DIY Blind Build - 12/06/19 04:03 AM

Looks great. I'd hate to know the total cost bolt
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Mac's DIY Blind Build - 12/06/19 04:08 AM

Your work looks very good. Very nice looking blind. Good job
Posted By: Scott W

Re: Mac's DIY Blind Build - 12/06/19 03:39 PM

Looks great! The interior is especially nice. May need a cleaning service every quarter or so.

I prefer the shelf to be 8-10" below the window so I can place things on it and move them around without showing movement to the outside. For my rear windows, I stapled up some window screens, folded over on themselves that just hang in place. I can still open the windows (mine slide up) if I need the ventilation.

Great looking stand, hopefully you don't have to move it for a long time!
Posted By: noose

Re: Mac's DIY Blind Build - 12/06/19 05:29 PM

Outstanding job! I have a similar plan on my computer I've been working on. Did you keep a running total of cost or at least a ballpark?
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Mac's DIY Blind Build - 12/06/19 08:42 PM

Very nice.
I always use carpet on inside walls below windows.
Holds a little heat and cuts down on noise if you bump wall.
I also do floor for same reason but floor is separate piece that I can take out and beat the dirt out of it.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Mac's DIY Blind Build - 12/06/19 09:34 PM

Very nice up
Posted By: Frio Town

Re: Mac's DIY Blind Build - 12/07/19 01:22 AM

That's a very nice blind. You did good sir. I just sent you a PM.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Mac's DIY Blind Build - 12/07/19 03:35 AM

Great looking blind.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Mac's DIY Blind Build - 12/07/19 02:51 PM

Very nice and looks cozy up

Re: Mac's DIY Blind Build - 12/08/19 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by E.TX.JMart
Looks great. I'd hate to know the total cost bolt

Surprisingly not as much as it would have been to buy a pre-manufactured blind with those dimensions with the stand and stairs! But it was up there! texas

Re: Mac's DIY Blind Build - 12/08/19 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Scott W
Looks great! The interior is especially nice. May need a cleaning service every quarter or so.

I prefer the shelf to be 8-10" below the window so I can place things on it and move them around without showing movement to the outside. For my rear windows, I stapled up some window screens, folded over on themselves that just hang in place. I can still open the windows (mine slide up) if I need the ventilation.

Great looking stand, hopefully you don't have to move it for a long time!

Thanks for the comments. The main shelves in the pics are primarily for shooting rests. I still need to accessorize the blind with some smaller shelves in the corners, up high and to the sides of the entryway. These will carry the intent of holding all the crap that accumulates in our blinds!! When I'm all done I will post more pics. Cheers. texas

Re: Mac's DIY Blind Build - 12/08/19 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by KK30RAR
don’t get rid of any windows make some screens and use sun block screen material will be plenty dark and you can use those windows for ventilation plus keep the bugs out when the stand is occupied

Thank you for the idea. Do you have any pics you could share? I'm trying to follow. I think you are suggesting getting some window screen material to cover the window openings when I have the windows folded up inside the blind?

Re: Mac's DIY Blind Build - 12/08/19 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Vern1
Very nice.
I always use carpet on inside walls below windows.
Holds a little heat and cuts down on noise if you bump wall.
I also do floor for same reason but floor is separate piece that I can take out and beat the dirt out of it.

Thanks. I put laminate flooring pad behind the carpet on the walls to add some sound attenuation. My floor is rubber gym flooring from Home Depot that is easily removed and replaced when dirty or destroyed! But it is super quiet rolling chairs on it! texas

Re: Mac's DIY Blind Build - 12/08/19 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by noose
Outstanding job! I have a similar plan on my computer I've been working on. Did you keep a running total of cost or at least a ballpark?

I know 'the boss' kept a rolling tally of it but I don't know off the top of my head but it's near $3k but all in it's still cheaper than a pre-made blind with these dimensions. It's certainly cheaper than this: 6x8 Insulated Premium Blind. I know there are pre-made blinds out there with roughly the same dimensions but going back to my original post, I'm 6'4" and I'm the smallest of my hunting buddies! So I wanted comfort (two guys in two chairs in here is perfect but I can fit my kids and I in here with no problem), insulation (boss likes it warm), plenty of height clearance and wanted it off the ground about 4'. Taking all this into consideration I decided to build rather than buy. There's a pride factor in it also!! But know this, the next blind I WILL BUY!!! texas

Re: Mac's DIY Blind Build - 12/08/19 04:39 PM

Yesterday I finished closing in the bottom side. I insulated it and then covered it with plywood. Then primed and painted it. After this, I finished painting the pink insulation on the upper portions of the walls. I will post pics of these later. My next priority are the windows and covering a few to darken the inside. I really appreciate all the suggestions thus far.

If any of you have pics of what you have done to conceal the windows please share them. Cheers!

Re: Mac's DIY Blind Build - 12/08/19 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by maktastik

Thank you for the idea. Do you have any pics you could share? I'm trying to follow. I think you are suggesting getting some window screen material to cover the window openings when I have the windows folded up inside the blind?

I made regular real screens with frames this pic I used camouflage material next time I’ll use sun block material you ca hinge up or down [Linked Image]

Re: Mac's DIY Blind Build - 12/09/19 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by maktastik

I made regular real screens with frames this pic I used camouflage material next time I’ll use sun block material you ca hinge up or down [Linked Image]

Thank you for sharing. Appreciate the help!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum