Texas Hunting Forum

Using a ThermaCell in your ground blind

Posted By: Texas Dan

Using a ThermaCell in your ground blind - 10/31/19 02:51 AM

Thankfully, it doesn't appear too many of us will need to fire up our ThermaCell this weekend. Still, there have been many times when I've used mine while hunting from my ground blind and never got past thinking if it might not be a good thing to do. A little searching on the web uncovered the fact the instructions state not to use it in an enclosed space. While the definition of an enclosed space might vary from one person to the next, it's probably safe to say a ground blind that only has the windows cracked open a few inches fits the bill.

I can't remember the topic coming up for discussion, even though I suspect people commonly use them in ground blinds. But then, maybe I'm way off base to think that.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Using a ThermaCell in your ground blind - 10/31/19 02:09 PM

I use mine all the time in all sorts of various blinds and the little high rack in my RTV. I never have all the windows closed/sealed though so a quick shot could be made.

Re: Using a ThermaCell in your ground blind - 10/31/19 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by PMK
I use mine all the time in all sorts of various blinds and the little high rack in my RTV. I never have all the windows closed/sealed though so a quick shot could be made.

Thanks for the reply.

It would appear the bigger question is how much ventilation is needed so the vapors are not harmful?
Posted By: PMK

Re: Using a ThermaCell in your ground blind - 10/31/19 10:46 PM

I wouldn't completely seal up a blind with one going, might stink you out before it was harmful to your health.

Re: Using a ThermaCell in your ground blind - 11/01/19 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by PMK
I wouldn't completely seal up a blind with one going, might stink you out before it was harmful to your health.

That's my problem, I have an extremely poor sense of smell. I honestly cannot smell a fresh skunk after it's been hit on the highway.

Obviously, no one would sit in a hunting blind and keep all the windows sealed. However, I often crack mine open no more than three or four inches on two or three sides.
Posted By: decook

Re: Using a ThermaCell in your ground blind - 11/09/19 03:04 AM

You wont need a thermocell of your blind closes up. The only time i needed one was an old blind i used at the old tree lease that didnt have windows. I learned thermocells work very well indeed.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum