Texas Hunting Forum

Foam board deer stand

Posted By: lms

Foam board deer stand - 10/02/19 01:27 AM

Has anyone ever built one out of 2" foam board ?
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Foam board deer stand - 10/02/19 02:34 AM

Are you talking fiberglass? Double check if it polyester resin compatible..... if not it will just melt it

I have made some out of divinicell
Posted By: lms

Re: Foam board deer stand - 10/02/19 11:25 AM

No I mean polystyrene foam sheets and then coat it with paint or bedliner. Thinking of trying to keep it light weight.
Posted By: David Maas

Re: Foam board deer stand - 10/02/19 11:31 AM

5mm Luan is way lighter when fiberglassed and will handle the elements for a longer period of time and be more rigid than you'd ever imagine.

You will have to use fiberglass and epoxy resin to attach the panels together with the glue and stitch method, the epoxy resin is not cheap versus the old cheap polyester stuff from Bondo.
Posted By: Perforce Outdoors

Re: Foam board deer stand - 10/02/19 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by lms
Has anyone ever built one out of 2" foam board ?

Never seen a blind that way. I’ve seen homes built with foam board instead of OSB on the outer walls. They nail the foam board to the studs and then put vinyl siding over it with long nails. I think they use a some OSB on the corners to add strength. Not sure if I would want to be in it during a tornado...
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Foam board deer stand - 10/02/19 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by lms
No I mean polystyrene foam sheets and then coat it with paint or bedliner. Thinking of trying to keep it light weight.

You would still need a framing system and at that point wood would still be more durable and longer lasting
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Foam board deer stand - 10/02/19 01:09 PM

Just my .02, but I think if a strong wind ever found a seam in the construction, it would be torn up pretty quickly. Even with a wooden frame, afraid the foam walls would get shredded in the first storm.
Posted By: h20thief

Re: Foam board deer stand - 10/02/19 01:26 PM

Buddy of mine had a luan exterior on wood frame painted and screwed but it only lasted 2.5 years. We found it completely blown apart after a good storm and re-skinned with thicker plywood. Not sure where you are hunting but in Haskell county the wind and hail stones might take it apart pretty quick.

I've reduced weight by using 2x2's and 2x3's as frame material.
Posted By: David Maas

Re: Foam board deer stand - 10/02/19 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by h20thief
Buddy of mine had a luan exterior on wood frame painted and screwed but it only lasted 2.5 years. We found it completely blown apart after a good storm and re-skinned with thicker plywood. Not sure where you are hunting but in Haskell county the wind and hail stones might take it apart pretty quick.

I've reduced weight by using 2x2's and 2x3's as frame material.

I built a fiberglassed skinned luan 4'x6' blind that has weathered the elements around Ballinger for 3 seasons now on a 15' platform.
Posted By: phathawg

Re: Foam board deer stand - 10/02/19 02:24 PM

My dad built one with 3/4" foil-covered foam board. Aluminum duct tape to attach panels to each other and to cover exposed edges. Same tape for window and door hinges. Lasted several years until a hailstorm punched holes in the roof. I was thinking about building one with 1 1/2" paper-covered foam board. I'd cover it with canvas sheets and soak the canvas with paint for a "poor man's fiberglass".

Re: Foam board deer stand - 10/02/19 04:07 PM

I've built a couple with 2x2 framing and metal siding for sides and roof. I used 1/2" foam bard for insulation. Very light and durable. I still use 2 of them. Built the 1st one in 1991. Used 2x6 and 3/4" plywood for the floors.
Posted By: howl

Re: Foam board deer stand - 10/02/19 08:32 PM

People build travel trailers like that.. Seems to hold up fine.
Posted By: howl

Re: Foam board deer stand - 10/02/19 08:51 PM

http://tnttt.com/
Posted By: YellowDog

Re: Foam board deer stand - 10/02/19 09:38 PM

Build an octagon blind. each side 2'x7' You can carry two sides at a time and roll the base to the location

Re: Foam board deer stand - 10/05/19 10:41 AM

I hit places like Metal Mart for cover sheets. Inexpensive, lightweight and durable. The blind I built in 1991 has been moved to several different leases and still looks good. One metal blind I built blew out of the truck @ 70 mph. Some road rash and I had to reattach a couple spots of sheeting but survived well.
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: Foam board deer stand - 10/07/19 07:53 PM

I remember that roflmao

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Re: Foam board deer stand - 10/07/19 11:11 PM

You were driving Leon. Remember I said "Back up to it" then "Nevermind, here it comes".
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: Foam board deer stand - 10/10/19 12:48 AM

I remember we were driving down Highway 30 towards Shiro, and at 70 mph that deer stand came out of my truck bed like cargo out of a C-130.

I pulled over, backed up, we jumped out of the truck like we were on the TV Show Dragnet or something, and pushed it to the shoulder before everything got smashed by oncoming traffic.

I miss those days.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum