Texas Hunting Forum

Bonding Fiberglass blind to new deck?

Posted By: NateWestTexHunter

Bonding Fiberglass blind to new deck? - 08/25/19 03:14 PM

So the place I hunt had a fiberglass blind that was in pretty good shape besides the floor being a little soft. So we took the blind off the base and trying to figure out a good way to bond the old fiberglass walls to a new piece of marine grade plywood as the floor. Anyone have experience with this.
Posted By: JESmith

Re: Bonding Fiberglass blind to new deck? - 08/25/19 03:26 PM

Can you provide pics? One way would be to sandwich the existing floor between two pieces of plywood.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Bonding Fiberglass blind to new deck? - 08/25/19 04:46 PM

Yes, it is a hellofa job to do right. Unless you have experience & equipment like would be used to build one.

Cut marine plywood slightly smaller than walls, like 1/8".
Put 2 - 3 layers of fiberglass mat & resin on plywood. Allow to dry / cure.
Should end up being a tight fit into the blind walls.

Rough up inside & outside of blind walls about 6" - 10" up from bottom. 80 -100 grit sand paper.
Set blind over encapsulated plywood, use at least 4 6" wide x 12" long strips of resin & mat on outside to hold blind to plywood.
Allow to dry/cure.
Start on inside and lay 2 - 3 layers of mat & resin to bond walls to floor extending at least 6" up walls & onto floor.
Allow to dry / cure.
Then lay 2 layers on outside, first layer 6 - 8" up walls & floor, Second layer about 1" to 2" further over the first layer.

I've seen people just glass in the new floor from the outside with 2 layers then use a bunch of epoxy for bonding the floor to walls on inside.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Bonding Fiberglass blind to new deck? - 08/25/19 07:31 PM

Frame the plywood on each edge with a treated 2"x4" by the length per side. Put the narrow end down and attach it to the plywood then slide the floor inside the blind. I would drill the blind walls first then attach the blind to the 2x4's with stainless steel screws. If your corners are a bit rounded I would stop the 2x4's a little short then caulk the corners well. I would cover the floor with carpeting also. I would make sure to the fiberglass walls extend past the floor edges. I would probably caulk the outside bottom edge all the way around the floor to seal it better.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum