Texas Hunting Forum

Wind direction and feeders

Posted By: bigjoe8565

Wind direction and feeders - 06/15/19 04:09 PM

Question for you west Texas hunters. You set your feeders up north, south, east or west of your blind?
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Wind direction and feeders - 06/15/19 06:06 PM

West
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Wind direction and feeders - 06/15/19 09:53 PM

What direction does most wind come from in West Texas?
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Wind direction and feeders - 06/15/19 11:04 PM

How far west? Shackelford County - prevailing south wind, so blinds are mostly to the north.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Wind direction and feeders - 06/16/19 12:11 AM

Lease is in Stonewall county.
Posted By: shightower

Re: Wind direction and feeders - 06/16/19 01:30 AM

Winds are out of the south south west the majority of the time.
East and north are good setup locations.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Wind direction and feeders - 06/16/19 05:39 PM

My experience in that general part of the world is with a predominant SE wind. Normally its best to avoid looking at a feeder with the setting or rising sun directly in your eyes. Beyond that I would think the lay of the land and common sense would dictate most feeder locations.
On our place in NW Tx we have a big place with a lot of up and down to our terrain and a good bit of semi open mesquite/brush. Because of that we chose stand locations that allow us to see a long ways and basically able to spot and stalk from a stand. We have a feeder close by and its specific location is of secondary importance to the location of the stand. "If you feed them, they will come." Our setups in thicker cover we ideally(lotta work) will hand cut "sight senderos"(not to drive but for vision) in multiple directions like a wagon wheel from the stand. A few away from the feeder we cut better to be able to road corn. With both our "open" country setups and our thicker brush setups we are usually able to see bucks coming or going from a feeder or just moving around in the area. Even though a lot of bucks are killed at a feeder I have learned by being able to see a lot of country(and by sitting a lot without pulling the trigger) that a lot of bucks are in a general area close to a feeder but never come in to it. Game cameras prove this out as well.
Im a little old school and I grew up hunting big country in West Tx and never even knew feeders existed. I spent a lot of time sitting on a flat rock with binos and spotter and I had young legs ready to move. For a long time now I have set up over a feeder glassing a lot of country. To date I have killed many mature Whitetails but to date NONE have ever been at a feeder. As usual, just my 2cents.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Wind direction and feeders - 06/17/19 01:02 PM

I stopped worrying about wind direction with my gun blind and try to setup elevated to the feeder when possible. Bow blind is a different ball game and I generally have two setups for a north or SE wind
Posted By: gollygee

Re: Wind direction and feeders - 07/04/19 02:16 PM

The PREVAILING wind will be from the south west. If you are only using one feeder I would prefer it to be south of the blind. The higher the blind the less scent will be an issue. If you will get far enough away from the feeder scent will not be an issue (my closest feeder is 125 yards).
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Wind direction and feeders - 07/05/19 02:24 AM

I like and East or West set up.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Wind direction and feeders - 07/06/19 07:17 PM

As stated most of the time the winds are out of the South. I would pick a spot where you could put a blind downwind of a feeder location and also keep in mind of travel routes. If they smell you before they even get to the feeder then what's the point.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Wind direction and feeders - 07/06/19 07:35 PM

I would use 2 feeders with one to the west and one to the east if I could to cover my scent trail for bad wind days.
Posted By: WendlingKnives

Re: Wind direction and feeders - 07/10/19 10:38 PM

bow blinds i set up for prevailing south wind. Rifle blinds i dont really worry about it
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum