Texas Hunting Forum

Dillon, Big Country, or Atascosa?

Posted By: Creekrunner

Dillon, Big Country, or Atascosa? - 06/10/19 11:04 PM

I need recommendations on which of the three to buy. Dillon is pretty much the "Coke" of fiberglass blinds, and is at a hardware store close to the ranch. Big Country is stocked at a feed store close to the ranch. And Atascosa is stocked at a feed store close to home. What I noticed about Atascosa is the way they fit on a short tower - conducive to one guy with a tractor bucket with forks being able to pick the darn thing up off a trailer and set it on their tower, then lock it down.

I do have a son and son-in-law that could help, AND some friends... but I know how busy everyone is (and honestly, I don't want to put up with the son or son-in-law right now. grin They'll hunt - mainly because they fathered my grandchildren, but, I just wanna do things my way and at my pace. up)
Posted By: phathawg

Re: Dillon, Big Country, or Atascosa? - 06/10/19 11:43 PM

My way would be to supervise the son and SIL from a seat in the shade. Between sips of a cold drink of course. I can put up with them long enough to set up the stand. Make sure you have only 2 machetes so they can cut some fire lanes as well.
Posted By: David Maas

Re: Dillon, Big Country, or Atascosa? - 06/11/19 12:55 AM

I have fixed one too many Dillon blinds, there are better options out there that are 100% fiberglass and lighter too boot for the same money or slightly more.

Take your time, look at as many different manufacturers as you can and ask them for references. If you look at it and it has pop rivets and is made of fiberglass, walk away. The rivets never stay tight.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Dillon, Big Country, or Atascosa? - 06/11/19 11:07 AM

KanTex fiberglass blinds, formerly TripleCreek, best blinds and windows out there.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Dillon, Big Country, or Atascosa? - 06/11/19 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by BigPig
KanTex fiberglass blinds, formerly TripleCreek, best blinds and windows out there.

He completely jacked that up...we'll blame it on coffee overdose. It's Triple Creek formally KanTex.

Another to put on your list Big Dogg blinds. I'm tempted and will look at them soon.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Dillon, Big Country, or Atascosa? - 06/11/19 09:07 PM

My lease has several Atascosa’s, good blinds, don't care for the windows. I have a 8x6 Boss Game Systems, made in College Station, I think it’s top notch, this is year 3 with it. TxAg on here can get you a quote.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Dillon, Big Country, or Atascosa? - 06/12/19 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Judd
Originally Posted by BigPig

He completely jacked that up...we'll blame it on coffee overdose. It's Triple Creek formally KanTex.

Another to put on your list Big Dogg blinds. I'm tempted and will look at them soon.

From their website:
TRIPLE CREEK OUTFITTERS NOW OWNS KANTEX BLINDS (NOW TRIPLE CREEK BLINDS, LLC)

I'm gonna give them a look.
Posted By: HLo

Re: Dillon, Big Country, or Atascosa? - 06/15/19 02:51 AM

Dillon - No Experience
Texas T - Box - Good blinds, slider windows sweat on the shelf and warp them but still fine and going on like 10 years with just having to re-paint them.. No leaks and no rotting or wasps inside.
Atascosa - Great stand and blind but roof leaks once the sealant degrades after about 5 years and paint pealed off after 2 years on some. Dealer not too friendly. Have to put a roof cap on it (See Youtube video for rust problem). and not easy to stand on your own unless you pay them a ton to deliver and set up.
Big Country - About to buy one from Mummies in San Antonio for the first time. But look good.
Krivoman Blind - If bowhunter and rifle hunter good blinds for the money. I own 2 and no maintenance and no problems after 5 years.

Hope this helps.

Re: Dillon, Big Country, or Atascosa? - 06/22/19 03:12 PM

What's the brand of those geodesic looking, space-pod thingy's. They sit on a tower and the door opens upwards on shocks, like a Lamborghini gull wing door? They're finished out in gray indoor-outdoor carpeting. I've seen them at DSC and a ranch we got outbid on had 3 or 4 or them.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Dillon, Big Country, or Atascosa? - 06/26/19 08:17 PM

They were on your list but I love my RanchKing blinds and the Lil Buc for price and ease of movement is my go too. Sealed completely, no wasps, no leaks.

I too like the Krivoman blind for a perm. ground blind for bow hunting
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Dillon, Big Country, or Atascosa? - 06/27/19 02:25 AM

Have you looked at ranchking ?

Re: Dillon, Big Country, or Atascosa? - 06/27/19 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Brother in-law

Not yet. They look real similar to a line of Atascosa ones down here.
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: Dillon, Big Country, or Atascosa? - 06/27/19 02:59 AM

Check out the ranch kings. I have some & they are holding up great after 5 + yrs.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Dillon, Big Country, or Atascosa? - 06/27/19 07:28 PM

Dillon 5.5x5.5 well built and half the price of the others
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Dillon, Big Country, or Atascosa? - 06/28/19 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Originally Posted by Brother in-law

Not yet. They look real similar to a line of Atascosa ones down here.

I think you will like them
Posted By: freerange

Re: Dillon, Big Country, or Atascosa? - 06/28/19 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Dillon 5.5x5.5 well built and half the price of the others

Pitch, you mentioned Dillon 5.5 x 5.5. Just today I saw pic of one used for sale that looks square and I assumed it was 5x5. If its Dillon and its close to that is it most likely 5.5?? The 6" may be just enough to make a difference for me. The guy didn't know and ill likely go look tomorrow but ill sleep better if you confirm.
To the OP, I don't see that much difference in quality of the various standard looking fiber blinds. As long as you like the price and the size and shape an windows etc. Im ok with Dillon. I may be wrong but I think Atascosa are real good but real pricey.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Dillon, Big Country, or Atascosa? - 07/04/19 03:01 AM

RanchKing, bought my first one in 2009, not a single bug in it in all these years. Still works and looks as good as the day I bought it. About to buy my 5th for the ranch.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Dillon, Big Country, or Atascosa? - 07/06/19 08:14 PM

Atascosa Wildlife has trailers that are designed to deliver and stand-up the tower blinds they make/sell. Texas Wildlife Supply in Brady makes/sells and sets up a similar blind. Go over to Mumme's and Lyssy and Eckel in Hondo to see their inventory. Mumme's can deliver and setup blinds. I know that L/E has a store in Llano that can deliver and setup blinds also. You can get blinds on 4', 5', 8', 10', 12' and 15' or taller towers from just about any of the blind builders.

Re: Dillon, Big Country, or Atascosa? - 08/24/19 07:40 PM

'Went to the TTHA show, looked at most of them, sent a deposit to Tank Blinds, for a pretty basic model. Pricey, but it's for the grandkids...whatayagonnado. Okay, Grampy might occasionally take a nap in the back of it. grin 'Stinks that I gotta drive to Weatherford to pick it up, but I need a road trip now and again.

The thing that impressed me most was his welders on the short tower it sits on. That's the way we used to build stuff at our truck equipment firm; way overbuilt. I don't know how he keeps them from going to the oilfield, but he did tell me that he pays them well.

Thanks again for all the input. I'm sure one of the other major brands will be my #2 and 3 down the road.

Re: Dillon, Big Country, or Atascosa? - 10/03/19 06:43 PM

'Slid off like a champ!
[Linked Image]

I'm glad I've saved that old digger/derrick rope all these years; it comes in real handy every now and again.

Pick up in Weatherford was easy. It's set and ready to "hunt". laugh
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Dillon, Big Country, or Atascosa? - 10/03/19 09:08 PM

Bought an Atascosa blind at the TTH show this year. Setting it up wasn't too bad, but is nice to have a tractor with FEL. Will see how the first year goes out of it.

Re: Dillon, Big Country, or Atascosa? - 10/03/19 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
Bought an Atascosa blind at the TTH show this year. Setting it up wasn't too bad, but is nice to have a tractor with FEL. Will see how the first year goes out of it.

Good hunting to you. Post up a pic of the blind, if you have one. I've got a small tractor with a bucket and some clamp-on forks. I'm glad I didn't have to walk back to the house and get it.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Dillon, Big Country, or Atascosa? - 10/03/19 11:41 PM

Top notch blind, I had a 5x8 on a 10’ tower a few years ago.

Re: Dillon, Big Country, or Atascosa? - 10/04/19 01:46 AM

Lots of tree trimming and clearing rattle brush before the pic. It overlooks our tank. Good luck to you and yours also!
[Linked Image]

Re: Dillon, Big Country, or Atascosa? - 10/04/19 02:15 AM

up
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Dillon, Big Country, or Atascosa? - 10/04/19 01:06 PM

up
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Dillon, Big Country, or Atascosa? - 10/06/19 03:31 PM

Check out the RealBark 6 foot diameter circle blinds (GBX-6). Spacious, cost effective, durable and easy to set up and move if need be.
Posted By: Mathp

Re: Dillon, Big Country, or Atascosa? - 10/07/19 05:07 AM

I bought some Marine grade plywood from a shop making corporate sign boards for commercial signs like you see in front of large buildings and built 2 blinds for myself and my son. I bought some towers from craigslist thinking they were 10" turned out to be 14' and 15'. I raised them in 2012 and then in 2013 attached a staircase to my 15" blind and they have held up great. A lot of work but I actually enjoyed it. Don't really want to do it again any time soon!

Re: Dillon, Big Country, or Atascosa? - 10/07/19 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mathp
I bought some Marine grade plywood from a shop making corporate sign boards for commercial signs like you see in front of large buildings and built 2 blinds for myself and my son. I bought some towers from craigslist thinking they were 10" turned out to be 14' and 15'. I raised them in 2012 and then in 2013 attached a staircase to my 15" blind and they have held up great. A lot of work but I actually enjoyed it. Don't really want to do it again any time soon!

I built some blinds years ago out of old real estate signs from ranch listings. They were 10 years old when I built the blinds. It was 4x8 sheets of high quality exterior plywood that had a vinyl coating on both sides with the sign add for the properties on it. That blind lasted 20 years of use. Last year the woodpeckers finally got the better of it and we replaced it with the one I attached a picture of above. The blind isn't as good as it once was but is still perfectly huntable to this day, just not as roomy or tight as it used to be, lots of bugs!
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Dillon, Big Country, or Atascosa? - 10/07/19 07:24 PM

I have 2 dillon blinds, 2 Sportsman Condo blinds and a Redneck blind. All of them are great and have zero problems.My only issue is the Redneck blind is fading on the south side. I also have 3 wood blinds that constantly need maintenance. I am slowly replacing all my wooden blinds with goods blinds like I stated above.
Posted By: spg

Re: Dillon, Big Country, or Atascosa? - 10/07/19 08:38 PM

Have a look at Antler Shed blinds, IMO best you can get for the price.
Posted By: Mathp

Re: Dillon, Big Country, or Atascosa? - 10/08/19 03:03 AM

The old one still looks good!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum